Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dit Da Jow Reviews

Dit Da Jow Reviews

There's been some talk of jow on the forums lately. I thought it might be handy to post some reviews of the jows available online.

Here's the stuff I've tried:

Wing Lam Secret Kung Fu Liniment

I've been through a couple bottles of this stuff. It's supposed to be for iron palm training. I've done a little of this, but I haven't stuck with the training long enough to be able to comment on the jow's effectiveness. This jow has a pale brown coloration, and very little if any sediment is in each bottle. I've used it for general training bruises with okay results.

Ancient Way Dit Da Jow Iron Palm Formula Gallon Kit -- Powdered

About a year ago I brewed up a gallon of this stuff. I've been letting it age, and haven't really used it. I wish I had bought the non-powdered version, but at the time I had no idea what I was doing (who am I kidding – I still have no idea what I'm doing).

One of the first things I noticed about the brew was the smell. Since the kit comes with camphor and menthol the jow smells more like a cough drop than jow. Also, I used grain alcohol instead of rice wine or vodka. This was a mistake as well. (I'd also recommend against taking a shot of 95% alcohol. It burns like fire, and I felt like I had strep throat for the rest of the night. The label wasn't kidding when it said "Don't drink straight.")

Five Photo Brand Dit Da Jow

This is my favorite so far. It's fairly cheap per-ounce. Each bottle contains a fair amount of sediment. It has a dark brown coloration. I've tested it, and had good results in treating bruises, strains, and old joint injuries. It smells darn good, too.

8 Immortals Jow

I've only used this jow a hand full of times. My sifu has a bottle; he'll give me some when I've taken a particularly bad beating.

The jow is darkly colored, and has a ton of sediment. In fact, when you apply the jow some herb flecks come out with the liquid. It feels almost grainy. The few times I used it I was pretty pleased with the results – very good for bruising.

i have the ancent way jow. i got the powdered version. i use it and its ok. i split it up and made it both ways the instructions said. 1.) put herbs in vodka let sit 6+months. 2.) split half and half water and grain alchohol(forget name) put herbs in water, boil for ten minutes. put herbs and water in alcohol. let sit for 3+weeks. that way didn't work to well for me. first way worked good. after i made it i would put a few ounces in a little jar to use at a time. i noticed the camphor smell would go away after the first couple of uses. i'm not sure if i was getting used to it or somehow it would just stay at the top of the jow in the bottle. i use it for bruises sprians whatever happenes during training. i would recomend it again but would still like to find a jow that is a little better. of course the messaging also helps the jow to work better.
    A BJJ player and notorious pimp, Da Big Deezy, in the Crenshaw district tried to "raise up" and "slap a ho" ..... I impaled him with my retractible naginata. I wish there were more groundfighters in the world. They make my arsenal that much more deadly. - john takeshi

LIKE FROG IN WELL LOOKING UP AT SKY,THINKING SEE ALL WORLD. - truthman

Ancient Way Jow

Quote Originally Posted by gwa sow
    i have the ancent way jow. i got the powdered version. i use it and its ok. i split it up and made it both ways the instructions said.
    Gwa Sow,

Yeah, I remember those instructions. Here's a copy of what the herb kit included

The simple quick method for making this is to bring the herbs to a rolling boil in 1/2 gallon of water, simmer for 30 minutes (covered), cool, add 1/2 gallon of 95% alcohol (Everclear, grain alcohol) into a large glass jar with the herbs (or split it into 2-4 smaller glass containers), shake, and leave it on a dark shelf (or bury it in the earth) for as long as you're willing--from 1 week to 2 months. Then strain, squeeze, and bottle for use.

The slower method:

Put the herbs, preferably powdered, into 1-4 different glass containers (we like quart glass jars) and cover with a 30-50% alcohol (vodka, Everclear/water mix, distilled rice wine, or sake/vodka/grain alcohol mix). Put it on a dark shelf or bury it, leave it for 6-12 months. Strain off the alcohol and press the herbs in a muslin bag or pillowcase to get all of the liquid possible out, then bottle the Jow for use.[/INDENT]

I went for the quick method as well.

Did you strain the herbs like the instructions said?

I'll post some pics of my jow (and the other types I have on hand) soon.

Be very careful of the poisons

Fu Tze and Tian Nan Xing are some of the most poisonous chinese herbs used. This is one recipe to keep out of any kind of cut and/or scrape.

This formula is very warming, so be careful with over heating the body with this one.

In Boston,

Dale Dugas
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Nice idea for a thread here, CPL-Nut

I would be remiss in my professional duties here if I didn't list our new Dit Da Jow.

Dit Da Jow - Kung Fu Liniment
    It's $19.99 list price, but now on sale for $14.99.
    It's a 3 oz plastic spritzer bottle.
    I can't give a review because I'm allergic to Dit Da Jow.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    I would be remiss in my professional duties here if I didn't list our new Dit Da Jow.

Dit Da Jow - Kung Fu Liniment
    It's $19.99 list price, but now on sale for $14.99.
    It's a 3 oz plastic spritzer bottle.
    I can't give a review because I'm allergic to Dit Da Jow.

Hey Gene,

I tried this stuff, Pretty good stuff

di gu pi

Has anyone heard of using a decoction of Di Gu Pi (Wolfberry bark) as a pre-soak for iron-palm training? I heard of this once before, but have been unable to find anything that supports this technique...

any insight?

As for the TigerClaw brand DDJ - is it more for soreness and the like, rather than deep injuries?

peace

herb ox

Yes, this is true it was very good for soreness, The other Jow I use Is one that Ive had for 6 years which I got from china town in Cali from a herbalist my sifu knew at the time the herbalist had his own Dit Da Jow formula. My Cat knocked down my other bottle of jow I had for 4 years

needless to say the cat is gone

pets are pretty useless unless they are seeing, hearing or seizure animals.

They are little or big creatures that never can fend for themselves totally and will always be in your way as well your need.

Cats are great if you have mice, dogs for protection. The rest are just there and take up space. Attachments you dont even think you have.
    Last edited by Dale Dugas; 08-03-2005 at 01:59 PM.

Our cat is a tamed feral

Ever try to tame a feral? Pets can be your teachers if you know how to see them.

As for the Dit Da Jow Tiger Claw is currently distributing, a big sell point that they were bottled in these convenient spray on bottles. It's actually Master Wei's recipe - I have no idea who Master Wei is - some Tieda Zhang from Beijing, I think. Apparently it's a recipe that's growing in popularity over there and they are just beginning to market it here.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The cat is gone he came into my life just like he left

I had my front door open to my apartment at the time he walked in and layed down on my couch he was very funny, I always alowed him to come and go he was with me for 4 years then just like he came, he never came back

So I figured he found someone new to hang out with Personally I think he was some Martial Arts Masters cat sharing info as to what I was doing It took him 4 years to get my material! So now Im careful as to who's watching me!

Smile

I have a tame feral cat as well . He was a ghost for the first two years. Now at fifteen he'll occasionally greet strangers. I don't use jow or any liniments. I'm a firm believer that topical medications are for amusement . Yes I practice Iron Palm and Iron Shirt. After thirty five years my hands are still fairly smooth.

Jow has nothing to do with keeping your hands smooth brother, that is a side effect of the herbs actions.

Hitting bags of steel shot or other hard mediums cause serious microtrauma and other damage to the hands over the long run.

I find it hard to believe that you use no Iron Palm medicine after so long.

Most people would end up with curled up claws that are useless like overzealous Kyoskyushin karate people who hit their hands on trees, whack em with hammers and all the external nonsense that causes serious damage. As they use no medicine, other than "get through the pain" garbage.

Dale Dugas

Anybody ever....

tried a jow from this site, they have a pretty decent selection:

http://www.ditdajows.com

No offence but the prices they charge for an 8 ounce jow are totally insane when you think about it. You can make 2-3 gallons from Mike Biggies jow formula for a hell of a lot less than what they are charging.

Nice bottles, but unless I know the formula you have no idea what is was intended to do, i.e. bring qi the palms, bring qi and move blood to the legs for leg hitting drills, etc...

Give him a yell at Mantisbxr@aol.com and he will hook you up with an Iron Palm medicine as well as one the better injury jows around.

Dale Dugas