Thread: Heavy Bag

Heavy Bag

Hey guys,
    A quick question.
    I really want to get a punching bag. Something I can kick, knee, elbow and punch. I use to have hanging bags but they just rock the whole house. I'm starting to look into those water filled ones that sit on the floor and wonder if anyone has any concerns with any of them. One of the ones that I've seen has an adjustable height for the bag and I'm not sure if there'll be a problem with it staying up when I start hitting it.
    Anyways, if you guys have anything to say about heavy bags my ears are open

J
    Yo mama is so fat, she has jeans made by Jeep

Oh ya, well Yo mama is so fat, she has a blackbelt at McDonald's

I had an Everlast freestanding heavy bag. I got it at Sams Club, brought it home, filled it with water and put it together. I then kicked it one time and almost knocked it over. So I took it apart, dumped the water out, put it back in the box and took it back to Sam's Club. I now have a hanging heavy bag that I got at Goodwill for $35. I like it a lot better.

Here's the freestanding one that I had: http://store.titleboxing.com/title-e...-heavybag.html
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Thanks Chief fox
    This is what I'm afraid of. I love the hanging bags but they're just so loud when you hit them. The moving of the bag is always fun to play with as well.

hmmmmm

J

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bussey
    Hey guys,
    A quick question.
    I really want to get a punching bag. Something I can kick, knee, elbow and punch. I use to have hanging bags but they just rock the whole house. I'm starting to look into those water filled ones that sit on the floor and wonder if anyone has any concerns with any of them. One of the ones that I've seen has an adjustable height for the bag and I'm not sure if there'll be a problem with it staying up when I start hitting it.
    Anyways, if you guys have anything to say about heavy bags my ears are open

J
    Hey Jeff!

I've had one of the century "pillar" bags for several years. I like it. I didn't have any place to hang a bag, so it worked out well. You can move it around to the middle of your work-out area when you want, and then just move off to a corner when you are through with it. I also like it because the top moves more than the bottom when struck....like a real person.....which is the opposite of a hanging bag. I do WCK.....no high, heavy kicks....so tipping over has never been an issue. When closing to elbow range you can manipulate the bag and move it all around the room....unlike with a hanging bag. In short...no regrets! Someday I may even get the century "B.O.B" for more realism.

Keith

I've got Wavemaster's Powerline bag. It's their heavy duty model. It's what we used to use at my old Tae Kwon Do School. These guys can take a lot of abuse. Filled up they are extremely hard to knock over with a roudhouse or high kick. You can knock them over fairly easily with a side or back kick thought, but I've found putting them in front of a solid wall (concrete) works pretty well. At my old Tae Kwon Do school we we have someone hold the bag for side kicks and back kicks. Besides it's no big deal to set them back up again.

They are pretty durable and but we would crack one every once in a while at my old school. I've cracked mine at home but not from use, because I left it outside in winter filled with water, but the crack is so small that I filled it with sand and it works just fine. I think this is a great bag, I can't attest to any other models though, most of the ones I see in the stores just look to small to be usefull.

Oh we also had a "B.O.B." at my old school. Those things are too much fun!

Hey Keith,
    Thanks for the input.
    Just a little thing about the "B.O.B."
    Since looking into bags, I've been asking about that one and some places are not carrying them anymore because they've had alot of returns due to bits breaking off or something like that.

J

Hey Scott,
    Thanks. The wavemaster was the one I was looking at.
    So you guys didn't have problems with the "B.O.B."?

J

No, we didn't have any problem with BOB. I don't think we abused him nearly as much as the bags. It was also Tae Kwon Do so we weren't punching him in the head nearly as often as another school would. My instructor used to put a chest protector and helmet on BOB so he looked like someone you would face at a tournament.

They are expensive though and I don't know if they add that much to warrent their purchase over a normal heavy bag. It is fun though... and can you put a price on fun?

you could build a stand to hang your heavy bag, or buy one. i know century has one called "cornerman". i have both free standing and hanging bag. much prefer the hanging. after the padding wore out on my "century wavemaster" i use it for forearm conditioning. since its hard but a little flexible.

Hey Neit,
    Funny you say that cause I was looking into a stand as well.
    Do you bolt it to the floor?

J

Mike Young, of IKF "Rock 'n Roll Home Training" fame, wrote an article about how to make an inexpensive HB stand out of steel pipe. No need to bolt it to the floor. You might be able to find reference to this on the web somewhere. I MIGHT have the article at home, but it could take me a long time to find. A search for "homemade martial arts equipment" might come up with some good ideas as well.

My first instructor's son makes professional quality HB stands, and they are ridiculously strong, but they are also fairly expensive, as he is a professional engineering technician/
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Thanks anerlich,
    I'm going to do a search and see what I come up with

J

Quote Originally Posted by neit
    you could build a stand to hang your heavy bag, or buy one. i know century has one called "cornerman". i have both free standing and hanging bag. much prefer the hanging. after the padding wore out on my "century wavemaster" i use it for forearm conditioning. since its hard but a little flexible.

Hope you have lots of space! Those corner stands can still take up half a room!

Keith