Thread: ATTN COUNT and other BA Gua players

ATTN COUNT and other BA Gua players

Are you coming to the Ba Gua tournament this fall?

Somehow I got an invite in the mail ... guess I gave my address last year.

I swore off of this thing, after being booted from both sparring and chi sau, but am considering walking the circle .... it's pretty new to me but I enjoy it. Also, would maybe spar in the Ba Gua event if the rules are a little loser. Or at least compare with some heads privately.

I doubt it. I'm moving across country and I won't even be settled until the end of August. It only took three round trip flights and an upcoming 5 day road trip. I have a trip already planned to New York at the end of October and I hope we can all hook up than.

I wonder why I didn't get any mail or info on this years tournament? I always support that one. Hope the event is still growing and attracting the serious bagua folks. It sounds as if you are getting some bagua training from David Bond Chan. Will you only compete in fighting than or does he have some form you can use for competition? Give my regards to your teacher.

Hey Novell or Ben, if you notice this thread give me a call. As of Monday my phone is disconnected and I'm out of here.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

Hi;

I have the video of myself doing Hawk soaring to the sky with other 7 moves.

It is too big a file 40 MB, so I am still finding a hosting website.

If you like, I can e-mail the file to you.

Thank you very much for all the replies on the other thread.

Drive safely.

I sent you a PM where to send the clip. Check your messages.

Here are some bagua photo's. The first one is my "hawk soars to the sky".

http://kabooom.com/mybagua.gif

This photo is the entry and not the final position of the application.

Edit: These pic's are 10 years old. Even though I was in great shape, my bagua skills were a beginning level. Still are.
    Last edited by count; 07-26-2005 at 08:51 AM.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

Yea, we've been focusing on Ba Gua lately. Really kind of just starting out, a month or so.

It's amazing how much power the twisting adds though, huh? It's crazy. I feel like I've upgraded already and the technique just seems plane viscious. Guy's heads are practically falling in my lap when they shoot and I got to let them go.

So far, from what I seen, I think I'm going to like Ba Gua the best out of Taiji and Hsing-I. It has power and is not against, but it's not so nice as Taiji -- not that taiji is that nice to begin with.

Little by little though. I had a sort of break through in January that has helped clear my mind and relax me a bit to absorb my master's method.

Thinking like the other fighters and conditioning and hitting bags and fighting were just getting in the way.

If you come out in October, give me a holler. Would love to get together with some experienced Ba Gua players.

Peace and efficiency in your move
    Ray

Sounds good Ray,

My advice would be look for what is similiar to your hsing-i and tai chi. Not for what is different. Bagua is twisting and much more.

I'm going to a wedding in the fall in New York. I'm still not sure how much time I'll have but I'd love to hit china town by your teachers school. Especially at lunch time.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

My master's not in Chinatown anymore. He has built a private club in the back of his residence and has focused things more .... he'll only teach a certain way now and its not for everyone. I love it!

We're getting mats now that will come about 4-feet up the wall so we can really go to town. It's awesome.

As for the other arts, yes, I do see simularities, like the first palm could easily be Tiger Head/Hands in many cases but yet I feel it's more alive and less committed and more likely or at least easier to change from.

Then again, for years, I was simply covering my head, charging in and calling it Tiger Head

OK.

I have a question.

How did you get an invite (and from who) when I decided not to do the tournament this year? A discision I made in April?

Count
    you should have known better.

The Annual tournament will start again next year. I've got a lot on my plate at this time and didn't want the tournament to suffer because of improper attention to details.

An invite, LOL

I'm out

Maoshan
    Practice doesn't make perfect, Perfect practice makes perfect.

http://www.Syracusekungfu.com
    Syracuse Kung Fu
    Ba Gua Zhang Research & Boxing Association

I got a letter in the mail. But to be honest, I just read the big cover headline, which was promoting the Wan Fe Hung and kind of laughed at the thing because I got disqualified last year from both "free fighting" and "chi sau" so I wanted nothing to do with it ..... I through it out.

Then I remembered that the past few years there was also a Ba Gua tournament and this I would be interested in being that it's the new thing on the plate .... but last week we went back to E-Chuan.

My bad. Maybe it's best to give everyone that year off so when they come back they'll be that much better and what not.

Hope all is well.

But Count, if you're coming into NYC and want to see my master or get together give a holler.

Peace
    Ray

Ray,

From my understand from what I was told from Sifu Ben Hill who is the host of the all BaGua event. The tournament will be apart of the annual Wong Fei Hung tournament as it alway has been.

But the All Ba-Gua is seeking a new Venue and will continue next year. In
    the mean time, the rules for the All Ba-Gua, as far as the forms, sparring and pushhands go, will be used in the wong tournament and the biggest differance will be that it's open to all internal styles. Well Ray we let you fight using your E-Chuan or what ever style you want to use this year, so nothing should be stopping you for stepping in the internal ring this year.

Any questions, you can pm Sifu Ben hill at niwah64@yahoo.com

got a letter in the mail. But to be honest, I just read the big cover headline, which was promoting the Wan Fe Hung and kind of laughed at the thing because I got disqualified last year from both "free fighting" and "chi sau" so I wanted nothing to do with it ..... I through it out.
    I didn't see your free fighting match at the Wang Fe Hung, But I and my classmate David did see your whole Chi Sau match. Too be honest the other guyl was better then you from what I notice of the chi sau match.

Anyway maybe your martial skill level is better being that you are now doing all this free-fighting practice these days from the post I see of yours on the net sometimes. If so maybe we can spar a little at the tournament.

Novell LaoShi
    www.blacktaoist.com

PS Count pm your home number. My student Motley about to open a BaGua school out in that area. He just move out there too I know two Yin heads would love to get together. .
    Last edited by blacktaoist; 08-04-2005 at 12:55 PM.

Ray. Why exactly were you disqualified? Did you feel it was unfair? Or were you going outside the rules?

My problem with the rules were this. The weight is pretty open, in that me, 195 at the time, was paired up with a guy who was 250lbs. That's fine. But then don't tell me I can't strike him in the center of his face. Body shots he'll just laugh at as he charges in and hooks will also allow him to come in .... especially when wearing head gear.

So I used linear attacks to the head to s ow his charge, thinking he'd at least block and I could set a trap .... he ran into them twice and I got kicked.

Chi Sau, I don't think the **** judges even know what chi sau is. I got warned for hitting the body too hard the first two rounds (I drew the same guy, who had 50 lbs on me) then when I ran the hand to motion I could strike the head the ref said it would be impossible .... so I did it and got a warning. Then a second warning.

Generally, I'm not interested in this tyype of thing anymore. Waaaaay too many variables. I'd rather strap on 4 oz gloves or no gloves, no head gear, and let the thing take its natural course. That way the winner is obvious and no one can say this or that afterwards. That's why I shy away from these things.

But if Ba GUa folks are going to be there I'd definitely want to go and check it out.

BlackTaoist, that would be great. Honored.

When and Where?

I would be interested to see an IMA tournament (especially with Ba Gua), as I have never been to one. If anyone with more info on any upcoming events would post the info here, I would be grateful.

You may also PM me with the info if you want.

Thanks in advance.

Happy training!

ANJ