Thread: BJJ VS Japanese Sumo

BJJ VS Japanese Sumo

Hey, in the UFC or some other competition fighting does anyone know if any Sumo guys ever fought anyone otherside their style and how well did they do?I was woundering base on size if a BJJ guy could handle someone like that?Could they get them to the floor? What do you think?
    http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..

Only sumo guys I can think of who competed in the UFC fought against striking fighters in the early UFCs.

The very first fight in the first UFC was a hawaiian sumo guy against a dutch savate guy.

The sumo guy charged across the ring, the savate guy backed up to the fence, they both collided then bounced off the fence, the sumo guy fell over, and as he was steadying himself/getting to one knee, the savate guy kicked him in the face - knocked out one of his teeth, and ended the fight.

Then in one of the other early UFCs - around UFC 4, 5, 6 or so, another black sumo guy fought Todd Hackney, a white tiger kempo guy. The sumo guy was MASSIVE - like 6' 8", and Hackney was only like 5' 7" or so.

The sumo guy walked around looking bored, while Hackney circled - Hackney occasionally entered and threw massive, looping overhand palm strikes to the sumo guys face. Eventually knocked him down.

The sumo guy ended up on his hands and knees, trying to get up, while Hackney stood over him and pounded him in the head.

Hackney obviously had no submission skills - the sumo guy was just sitting there on his hands and knees, giving hackney his back, but all Hackney could do was punch at the guys head - broke his hand on it actually, and couldn't continue.

So, both fights stopped due to strikes.

Don't know exactly what this has to do with Wing Chun, though.
    Last edited by Finny; 07-27-2005 at 09:35 AM.

Royce fought a sumo guy in pride once. Sumo guy layed on top of him, royce managed to create some space and throw on an arm bar. Won the fight to submission.

That was Akebono (Chad Rowan).

I feel really sorry for him. He was one of the best sumo wrestlers, but I think just within those rules and because of his size. Out of sumo rules, with that size, he's a beached whale. To be honest, I thought he did a reasonable job against Royce. Sure it was an arm bar, but I've seen people going faster. He can take an obscene amount of punishment, but unfortunately he doesn't have the skill-set or agility for MMA.

If he'd have had some good trainers and gone into Pride instead of K1 he'd have done a better job because he could have capitalized on his traiend skills: palms (which you can't use in K1!) and throws (which er... you can't use in K1!).

So, so far, although there have been quantity sumo sighters in MMA there have never been quality fighters from sumo in MMA. I'd have loved to have seen Chiyonofuji in MMA!

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    That was Akebono (Chad Rowan).

If he'd have had some good trainers and gone into Pride instead of K1 he'd have done a better job because he could have capitalized on his traiend skills: palms (which you can't use in K1!) and throws (which er... you can't use in K1!).

That's a very good point. Give him some good coaches and let him train his ass off for a year or two. He could probably acomplish something like that. The way I see it he has no place in K1. And I feel bad for his wife who's always crying when he fights.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

two words
    E. Honda

best sumo wrestler ever. hes quick. has that awesome slap move. can hit you with his hard head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Yes, but he is slightly too good to enter any competitions wich are not held on a street.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

ttt 4 2017

Sad to hear this news of Akebono.

Pro wrestler and MMA star placed in ‘medically induced coma’ after fight in Japan
    WRESTLING star and former MMA fighter Akebono has been placed in a medically induced coma, according to reports in Japan.
    By George Mills / Published 18th April 2017

The veteran combat sports performer was admitted to hospital after falling ill at a show in Fukuoaka, south Japan, for wrestling promotion DDT.

Local news media report that the towering brawler was subsequently placed in an induced coma and is expected to remain in hospital for at least 10 days.

It is unclear whether his illness was linked to his appearance at the DDT show in Fukuoaka.

Akebono enjoyed has a varied career, changing between the sport of sumo, MMA and professional wrestling at different points.

GETTY
    STAR MAN: Akebono took on the Bigshow in a Sumo match before switching to MMA

His most notable appearance – shown in the video above – in the world of sports entertainment came during a Sumo match opposite The Bigshow at Wrestlemania 21.

He defeated the veteran WWE star in that match before later going on to join forces with him in a tag team match held in Japan.

The 400lb giant also made four appearances on the MMA circuit, tasting defeat four times before calling it quits.

GETTY
    LEGEND: The 48-year-old made a name for himself on the Sumo circuit in Japan

Fans have been sending him messages of support as news of his illness made its way online earlier today.

“I grew up in Hawaii and always found a way to watch his sumo matches,” wrote one well-wisher.

“He has a permanent place in my childhood and I'm hoping for the best.”

Another said: “I'm remember seeing matches years ago where he just looked ill. Hope he recovers.”
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I wish him the best.

BTW, I'm certain his health issues have a LOT (or everything?) to do with the fact that he is morbidly obese.