Thread: The Neuroscience of San Ti Shi?.

The Neuroscience of San Ti Shi?.

SORRY THE PIC'S ARE SO BIG! I grabbed them on the fly, lol.

"Your mental intention and the flow of qi will cause change to occur inside your body."

What does qi and nerves have to do with each other?. http://www.ycgf.org/Articles/XY_SanT..._SanTiShi.html

Focus your mind on the Jianjing points to encourage relaxation of your shoulders and on
    the Quchi points and Shaohai points to cause your elbows to drop. Then, focus your
    mind on the Jiaji point to expand the middle of your upper back and straighten your
    spine. Focusing your mind next on the Tanzhong point and imagining that water is
    trickling down your breast bone to your navel will cause your chest to withdraw slightly
    and feel hollow. After using your mind to achieve these effects, forget everything and just
    experience the comfortable relaxed state of your body and the quietness of your mind.
    Your shen should be fully alert, and you should feel as though qi were gently impelling
    your body to begin moving.
    Can some one explain this in english with reference to the nerves which correspond to each "Point?."

I have swelling in my left hip like my right leg is bigger than my left lol so I'm redoing all my main forms but focusing on the other side, like I've done years of right punch in a left bow stance as a thrust punch always used the left as a jab. Now, I'm focused on throwing haymakers with the left and using the right for grabbing and doing hip/ankle stances like cat and half split isometrically strictly on my weaker left side.

I remember Sun Lu Tang mentioning if you face your front palm to your opponnent in San Ti its good for fighting intention, if you face the palm downward to the floor it's good for chi. again neurologically the hell does that mean?.

My theory is internal Gung Fu is all booty shaking core muscle skills. like in fitness history you got the joke "White men can't jump or you dance like a stiff white guy." I'm sure that has to do with attitude traits such as the white guy sat on his horse bored while the black guy hugged the ground with ambition working his core muscles and hamstrings, but that's another topic. If you watch the first ufc's they all looked like this guy: the third guy from left is a good example, no ass/hamstriings he's all beach muscles like the ad for the guy who got sand kicked in his face...snappy quads, sleak abs, superman chest/shoulders

up until like Liddell vs Ortiz in the late 90's most sports fighters had that build they didn't do bjj and muay thai knees so like their lower 8 pack had no snappy neural response all they could do was push kicks, stomps and smother the guy with they stupid bellies. now all the ufc young guys are built/cut like a 1982 NYC Break dancer they got floor work and air moves.

so back to San Ti and my sore leg...when you do Bak Mei Jik Bo you go pull back, spear punch repeat, and on the third time you do an inward palm then step across turn and do an outward chop. now for like the first years that palm and chop is just a form like you're just pushing and then swinging your arm as a single unit, eventually your tricep becomes loose and snappy and it becomes this whole other thing and it's funny I can say that cuz I try it on my left side and it's like my right arm is year 3 level with jik bo but my weak azz left side acts/seems like I've been doing it for like three months. and I mean neurologically that **** feels tedious. I can do 1,2, boxer jab on both sides easily it just takes basic beach/worker swing a hammer muscles like front shoulder, wrist and bicep try to put some ging in your weak hand palm it's like a fairy throwing basebalLs!.

So my theory things like holding a left San Ti posture for an hour after 7 months you'd have a better neurological awareness of your rear left hamstring muscle which will help you do a more stabilized thrusting step as you kick-punch. What does the whole good for chi-chi moves the punch mean in terms related to English Physiology?.
    Last edited by diego; 08-15-2013 at 10:00 PM.

its over man. ur youth is gone, wasted. stance training is for children. forget a bout combat. time has run out on u. go do some forms.
    Last edited by bawang; 08-16-2013 at 06:53 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Lightbulb ask a chinese doctor

if you train san ti shi w/ a chinese doctor who knows san ti shi i'm sure all can be explained (how the body mechanics/ pathways work from a TCM perspective; u might even get some refinements.)- or is that just being too ridiculous?
    Last edited by MarathonTmatt; 08-17-2013 at 07:24 PM. Reason: expand on an idea

The explanation above lack any basis in reality.
    Physical and medical abnormalities should be seen by the appropriate medical professional and explained in a way that actually promotes adherence to said programme. The qi, shen, stuff towards a medical problem ends up being a farce and bogus.

Add the 'neuroscience of santishi' and the BS has gotten real bad! What does one actually mean by the statement. What are we actually saying?
    There are some studies out there that have shown that taijiquan, qigong (falunggong of all systems ) can actually influence BDNF and 'remodel' the brain but it is generally speaking through 'form playing' (gong over x period) by a habitual practitioner.

Booty shaking is always a great thing! cosita Buena? Twirking anyone?

Here is a study with neuroscience as baseline information and process

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...ne.0061038.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by mawali View Post
    The explanation above lack any basis in reality.
    Physical and medical abnormalities should be seen by the appropriate medical professional and explained in a way that actually promotes adherence to said programme. The qi, shen, stuff towards a medical problem ends up being a farce and bogus.

Add the 'neuroscience of santishi' and the BS has gotten real bad! What does one actually mean by the statement. What are we actually saying?
    There are some studies out there that have shown that taijiquan, qigong (falunggong of all systems ) can actually influence BDNF and 'remodel' the brain but it is generally speaking through 'form playing' (gong over x period) by a habitual practitioner.

Booty shaking is always a great thing! cosita Buena? Twirking anyone?
    the question what is the neuroscience behind san ti is from what I remember reading about the practise ten years ago in Sun Lu Tang's Hsing Yi book. They promote it as almost a spiritual exercise like do it for an hour a day for 20 years type of thing.

lmao after thinking about it the best example I can come up with like you got danielson in Karate Kid 1 doing front kicks he learned from the ymca and by the time he makes it to Japan he masters the drum roll so he can avoid swinging axes tied to rope, which is really usefull on a public transit subway train. so like how did his nervous system change by the third movie after going through Arnold's Okinawan kata training regimen?.

If you just do San Ti like Bwang sitting in his LazyBoy like booger from Revenge of the Nerds with his Rick Reubenesque sweaty stained Homer Simpson muscle shirt eating ****ing Cheesies grinning at the mirror like Stallone in Cobra trying to feel tough with his Raccoon shaped Pen15 and can't fight worth a $-hit, or if you do it an hour a day for 20 years like a Chinese acrobat who did his time in the Imperial Army what kind of Neurological changes does the body go through in relation to how the chi points control the body?.

like the difference between an arm that can throw a fastball at pro speed compared to little league bwang pitches.

thanks for the article.

Posture 1

Posture 2

Sun Lu Tang changed his San Ti to Posture 2 at the age of 60, his daughter said.

Why did he change the posture?

He felt that when the hand was held out straight the Qi was projected out of the hand. He said that this was good for fighting, but was not good for cultivation. When cultivating the Qi, one should cultivate the Qi in the body. When the hand is held up, the Qi is held in the hand and recirculated.
    What's the difference between palm forward and down?.
    Last edited by diego; 08-19-2013 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post

What's the difference between palm forward and down?.
    breaking your fingers

For the Qi stuff I think inside is yin meridians and outside is yang. Qi goes from the center of the body to the fingers through the yin meridians and then goes back up to the head through the yang meridians so if the wrist is bent the yin opens up and the yang closes which causes more Qi gathering in the hand and the circuit between yin and yang gets more connected. Anyway that's just a guess.
    Last edited by xinyidizi; 08-19-2013 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xinyidizi View Post
    breaking your fingers
    I met a travelling monk, who had studied neigong/wugong from a young age, tell me that "The Palm is better than the fist, the fingers and better than the palm." He showed me a basic San Ti Shi at that time.

When I asked him if he could demonstrate, He was also able to seize me at my xiphoid process (his fingers at my xiphoid process) before I could even move my 意.

you are in love with myth and legends. you love to hear and create them ( at least retarded versions of them), but you are never the legend, always others.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Martial Neuroscience 101!
    a. Does santishi change brain waves, brain function, or brain pathways?
    b. Why? What has led one to believe this? Is one calmer, more relaxed, etc
    c. What objective facet and why?

These are some basic question if invoking santishi and neuroscience! Just thoughting out loud

Quote Originally Posted by mawali View Post
    Martial Neuroscience 101!
    a. Does santishi change brain waves, brain function, or brain pathways?
    b. Why? What has led one to believe this? Is one calmer, more relaxed, etc
    c. What objective facet and why?

These are some basic question if invoking santishi and neuroscience! Just thoughting out loud
    lol, I'm not looking for biological chemical changes type analysis I'm just curious why Sun Lu Tang felt it was better to change the hand for chi instead of agression training, like you can look up the nueroscience of shell shock victims from ww 2 and how they went from soldiers to gimps who do tai chi like Bwang: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7Jll9_EiyA

So you have the average fat/skinny guy who can't touch his toes at age 20 after doing tai chi for 40 years what kind of changes would a nueroscientist find?.

My Sifu is in his mid 60's teaches us Bak Mei and Tai Chi on the side he's been doing it for 40 years or so and I see the diff' between his 40 years and his 10 year students compared to my 3 years. I feel it's impolite to ask if I can put some electrodes on him for some good old clinical analysis, so I post here hoping some one here has studied the science behind their Sifu'ss skills.

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    lol, I'm not looking for biological chemical changes type analysis I'm just curious why Sun Lu Tang felt it was better to change the hand for chi instead of agression training, like you can look up the nueroscience of shell shock victims from ww 2 and how they went from soldiers to gimps who do tai chi like Bwang: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7Jll9_EiyA
    My thought process is that 'changing the hand for chi instead of aggression training' would not be relevant because there is proactically no change in the external manifestation of an outcome. The neuroscience of shell shocked victims would not be relevant BUT comparing their cardiovascular status wouldl have more of a real world BUT I am sure there are studies that have docmented such instrumentation.