Thread: The sounds of Saturn

The sounds of Saturn

http://www.rednova.com/news/space/18...ons/index.html

Cassini Reveals Saturn's Eerie-Sounding Radio Emissions

JPL -- Saturn's radio emissions could be mistaken for a Halloween sound track.

That's how two researchers describe their recent findings, published in the July 23 issue of the Geophysical Research Letters. Their paper is based on data from the Cassini spacecraft radio and plasma wave science instrument. The study investigates sounds that are not just eerie, but also descriptive of a phenomenon similar to Earth's northern lights.

"All of the structures we observe in Saturn's radio spectrum are giving us clues about what might be going on in the source of the radio emissions above Saturn's auroras," said Dr. Bill Kurth, deputy principal investigator for the instrument. He is with the University of Iowa, Iowa City. Kurth made the discovery along with Principal Investigator Don Gurnett, a professor at the University. "We believe that the changing frequencies are related to tiny radio sources moving up and down along Saturn's magnetic field lines."

The radio emissions, called Saturn kilometric radiation, are generated along with Saturn's auroras, or northern and southern lights. Because the Cassini instrument has higher resolution compared to a similar instrument on NASA's Voyager spacecraft, it has provided more detailed information on the spectrum and the variability of radio emissions. The high-resolution measurements allow scientists to convert the radio waves into audio recordings by shifting the frequencies down into the audio frequency range.

Full story in link.

Direct link to sound files.

http://www.nasa.gov/123163main_cas-skr1-112203.wav
    http://www.nasa.gov/123160main_cas-skr2-072504.wav

The second one is eerily repetitive
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Hmmm... sends chills up my spine.

reminds me of that movie "Lifeforce" for some reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Ooh, that movie had a great vampire chick: Mathilda May.

IronFist,

Thank you for the share.

I have long believed that the move to satellite radio is a move to keep us from receiving cosmic transmissions. It is still going to happen. Tesla must be laughing.

mickey

They're coming, they're coming, little green men with pointy ears....RUN FOR YOUR LIVES......

IronFist...you just earned the spot of the coolest mufuka on KFO. I'm gonna use these in my music.

Cheers!
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Quote Originally Posted by Neophyte
    They're coming, they're coming, little green men with pointy ears....RUN FOR YOUR LIVES......

THE MANTIS PRACTITIONERS!!
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Quote Originally Posted by Neophyte
    They're here. Have been for a while. Don't you read the enquirer?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

"Lifeforce" was an awesome NES game.

Represent.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptinPickAxe
    IronFist...you just earned the spot of the coolest mufuka on KFO. I'm gonna use these in my music.

Cheers!
    Wow, now that's a compliment!