Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many students in your school

How many students in your school

How many people are in your school and what location do you live in ?
    (rural, small town, small city, large metropolis)
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinTiger00
    How many people are in your school and what location do you live in ?
    (rural, small town, small city, large metropolis)
    sad to see that most of the students have left my sifus school to do MMA.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasquez
    We live in a small town, only have a small class of around 10 students. About 6 core and the others turn up when they feel like it.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

12 adults

6 women, 6 men

oldest: 50 year old woman

3 teen boys

2 <12 kids, both boys

small city, 75k in a medium sized county of about 250k
    Last edited by Oso; 07-29-2005 at 08:41 AM.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

thanks for the replies guys. Please keep 'em coming. ttt
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

I have taught hundreds in my 16 years of teaching but only have less than a dozen who stick with it for more than 5 years.
    I am very strict and our workouts are extremly hard and it it takes at least 6-8 years to reach gold mantis. No one but a few are willing to deovte that time to understand what kung fu is.

my longest student has been with me for 8 years in class every other day.
    my shortest that is still with me is 4 years.

I teach for quaility not quanity. i will make the first month hard as heck to weed out the not so serious and interested. i share a school and dont rely on tuition to pay the bills which is why i am able to do so.

and I live in Buffalo NY second largest city in NY
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Current student count: about 70

Population: about 250K (small city)

Breakdown

10% Women

10% over 36

20% Youth

60% between the ages of 18-36
    USKSF North Region: www.usksfnorth.org

Our school has something like 60 or 70 people on the rolls. They're not all very active students, of course, but that's the count of people actively paying tuition. I'd say that on any given day there'd be between ten and twenty in and out, given the different classes offered.

The school is located in Lodi, New Jersey, which had a population of 23971 as of the 2000 census.
    http://lodinj.areaconnect.com/statistics.htm
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

School #1 Long Island, New York

approx. 275 students, active (attending at least one class within a 30 day period)

50% Children

50% Adults

Population: 180,000 in 3 mile radius

School size: 2650 sq ft.

Additionally, 200 men and women (95% women in a cardio Kickboxing class)

School #2 Glen Oaks, New York

approx. 205 students, active (attending at least one class within a 30 day period)

65% Children

35% Adults

Population: 230,000 in 3 mile radius

School size: 2250 sq ft.

Additionally, 125 men and women (95% women in a cardio Kickboxing class)

as you can see how vastly schools vary..... I have a taekwondo school up the street which has over 750 students, they actually come in shifts and class times
    6-7, 7-8, 8-9. I find this disturbing. but he has a nice fancy shiny new building with lots of tropheys i the window. and you actully get a patch to sew on your gui that says jr.BB or team leader.
    they have so many classes but no quality ones and thier students dont really know who to fight. they have a cardio kick boxing, tae bo, 5 kids classes one thats kids 5 and under. which is assinine and like ceramics class and tie your shoe class...

this is the problem with so many schools out there. thier students are under a false sense of security that they can fight. I talked with a BB about a year ago and he had been studying for 7 years and i asked him when he was going to start to explore going internal and he said i dont know what you mean. when i tried to explain it he said oh like in fighting from close range? I just dropped my head and walked away. and they say martial arts is not effective....
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Our school has about 25-30 who regularly attend, and another 15 or so who attend infrequently. We're in Austin, which has ~600,000 people.

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon
    as you can see how vastly schools vary..... I have a taekwondo school up the street which has over 750 students, they actually come in shifts and class times
    6-7, 7-8, 8-9. I find this disturbing. but he has a nice fancy shiny new building with lots of tropheys i the window. and you actully get a patch to sew on your gui that says jr.BB or team leader.
    they have so many classes but no quality ones and thier students dont really know who to fight. they have a cardio kick boxing, tae bo, 5 kids classes one thats kids 5 and under. which is assinine and like ceramics class and tie your shoe class...

this is the problem with so many schools out there. thier students are under a false sense of security that they can fight. I talked with a BB about a year ago and he had been studying for 7 years and i asked him when he was going to start to explore going internal and he said i dont know what you mean. when i tried to explain it he said oh like in fighting from close range? I just dropped my head and walked away. and they say martial arts is not effective....
    I think someone's jealous on the team leaders
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Sounds like a commentary on your sifu. Having read your posts, I'm guessing it is.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

We have a core of about 15 people who regularly train. Small city.

Town: Huntsville, AL (somewhat small, but fast growing city)
    Other than Straight Blast Gym, there are no good MA schools here. When I was at SBG, there were about 8 of us, all men.
    I train ngo cho with 4 other friends, all men.
    I train wing chun 1-on-1 with my teacher.

Things were different when I lived in Colorado.