Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many students in your school

Im not too sure exactly, but were i to make an edjumicated guestimation i would say this:

kids class: 10-15

intermediate: 15-20

Advanced: 20-25

of course there are a few of us that attend the intermediate and advanced classes as well as teach the tykes.

but overa all i think a safe estimation would be around 60 total students under sifu.

oh yeah its in a city
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

At the moment, 230, was 500 at one point but we got hit hard when one of the instructors opened his own place...it will be much higher within the year I am confident...it is in Timonium, a suburb of Baltimore...

I have a taekwondo school up the street which has over 750 students, they actually come in shifts and class times
    6-7, 7-8, 8-9. I find this disturbing. but he has a nice fancy shiny new building with lots of tropheys i the window. and you actully get a patch to sew on your gui that says jr.BB or team leader...they have a cardio kick boxing, tae bo, 5 kids classes one thats kids 5 and under.
    Sounds great...I think MA is very good for kids ages 5 and under...sounds like they actually are pretty good to have won those trophies and to attract so many students...
    Last edited by Akhilleus; 07-29-2005 at 06:28 PM.
    "Ooh! Look at these two hot chickens. Finkel wants some dinkle. Give it to him. Huh. Come on, Do it. Lay it on, right here. Do it. Do it." - Maury Finkle, founder of Finkle Fixtures, biggest lighting fixture chain in the Southland

The animals class has a core of 3 guys, with a few others coming in an out. Wing Chun does significantly better, mostly due to it's lesser requirements of physical conditioning and slightly easier form of learning, with at least 7 guys per class. Tai Chi's got 2 regulars with a slew of in and outers. Chin Na's about the same.

My Sifu mostly has private students, and the only ones who've stuck around for any amount of time are Wing Chun or Tai Chi practioners. 5 Animal Fist requires a great deal of time for physical conditioning, and a good amount of will to make yourself go through it.
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.

When I taught for Champion Youth, I had an average of about 65-70, one nite a week, taught in 4, 45 minute classes.

On my own, with less marketing potential due to the lack of "non for profit" status (Kept my flyers out of the public schools), I had 18 to 24 at any given time with one class a week for beginners, and 3 classes a week for intermediate.

This was marketing to 4 priviate schools, that were not very big. The public schools would have been the entire dist, and was HUGE. I'm sure the return would have been on the same geometrical scale as the size of the schools I marketed too, if I had been able to get into the public schools that is.

Given that the public schools system represented probably 5 times the size of the privates, my student count should have been close to 100 a session if I had the non for profit status, and was able to get my flyers into them.

I charged $6.00 per class for 3 X a week, and $8.00 for one time a week.

Both programs were in the Chicago suburbs.

My Tai Chi class was allways 25-30, taught one class a week for beginners, and 2 for intermediates and up. Same basic rates.

All classes were in Elementary school gyms, or park dists.

If I ever open a comercial school, I'd like to create a Non For profit youth outreach vesion for the local school dists. I'd hire some local TKD guys to teach the program, and then funnel the advanced students into the comercial club.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a