Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NAPMA: Good or Bad?

NAPMA: Good or Bad?

Oso's favorite support group.

So what's anyones experience or impressions about NAPMA?

Q:What new turn-key program would you like to see NAPMA create?
    A birthday start-up kit for hosting parties.
    A summer marketing and retention program.
    An escrima program.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

wtf is NAPMA?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

National Association of Professional Martial Artists...

The school I teach was a part of it (before I joined), in fact our owner was pretty well known among the group, but now we are with the EFC (Educational Funding Company)...

My only experience with them is seeing their video tapes, which are great...good class ideas and tips for running a successful school...so from what I have seen they are a great org...
    Last edited by Akhilleus; 07-28-2005 at 06:56 PM.
    "Ooh! Look at these two hot chickens. Finkel wants some dinkle. Give it to him. Huh. Come on, Do it. Lay it on, right here. Do it. Do it." - Maury Finkle, founder of Finkle Fixtures, biggest lighting fixture chain in the Southland

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    ok, so I get both the free mags from Century (who now owns NAPMA) and the one from MAIA...don't know how i ended up that one....

but the Nov 2004 issue that is sitting in the top of the trash can next to my desk has the main article titled "Teaching "Life" Arts versus Martial Arts"

need I ****ing say more?

so....BAD...PART OF THE 'PROBLEM'....

"George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

btw, Rogue, I may have to make a trip up your way...I'll holler if I do.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

need I ****ing say more?
    Yes, please...not trying to be a smart@$$...just curious what it was about the article that you thought was trash...Although I haven't read the article, I would say that helping people develop life skills is a big part of running a successful martial arts school...

LOL I don't know what happened with that email link...
    Last edited by Akhilleus; 07-28-2005 at 07:37 PM.
    "Ooh! Look at these two hot chickens. Finkel wants some dinkle. Give it to him. Huh. Come on, Do it. Lay it on, right here. Do it. Do it." - Maury Finkle, founder of Finkle Fixtures, biggest lighting fixture chain in the Southland

Sounds good Oso.

I find the occaisional NAPMA rags at the gym. On one hand I understand the school owners need to make money and I support that, but I still feel like I have to wash my hands after reading the articles.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

when the martial aspect is completely set aside.

everything that these organizations are promoting is to make the school owner rich by providing a 'feel good' environment versus teaching real martial skills.

whatever happenend to 'eat bitter' ???

the title itself implies that 'martial' arts are being set aside in favor of 'life' arts.

yet another step in the removal of traditional martial arts.

I get these magazines every month, and month after month they are full of articles on how to grow your business...with no mention on how to teach better martial arts.

sorry, if I offended you and I wasn't picking on that article itself...just the way the industry is turning and how it is dumbing down martial arts in america.

rogue: subtle troll there buddy...now will you snip this hook outta my mouth????

It's my new snake style troll. Very subtle.

the title itself implies that 'martial' arts are being set aside in favor of 'life' arts.
    I think you're right. IMO down playing the martial aspect of the arts is dangerous because it gives the person a false sense of security and also because they lose focus on how dangerous the arts can be.

DM

No offense taken man, I have felt embarrassed sometimes while watching NAPMA vids, some of the stuff just seems so cheesy...but on the whole I really like their videos, and 90% of the time I think they are great stuff, with of course the other 10% making me say, "People actually pay to learn this stuff?!"

I agree that the martial aspect should not be cast aside, rather it should be embraced, and the life skills and martial skills should go hand in hand...

everything that these organizations are promoting is to make the school owner rich by providing a 'feel good' environment versus teaching real martial skills.
    Food for thought, is it possible to do both?

Maybe NAPMA is assuming that the school owner has their act together as far as teaching the martial aspects of their art and therefore focuses on helping them teach that material in a way that allows their school to be successful...

More food for thought: for some, such as myself, MA training actually has little to do with self-defense...I'm not saying it has nothing to do with it, just that self-defense isn't my main reason for training...if it were I would get a gun and learn how to use it...actual self-defense techniques would help very little if 3 of the guy's friends jump out of the alley and it wouldn't help at all if he pulled a gun on me...so if there aren't any life skills behind my training that training wouldn't be very meaningful to me...

yet another step in the removal of traditional martial arts
    I don't know man, what you see as the dumbing down of the industry I see as trying to find effective ways of teaching the traditional arts to modern people...we live in a different society than that of our teacher's teacher's teacher...George W Bush with his 150 something bench press could pick up a phone and wipe a country off the face of the earth...OK maybe that's an exaggeration but my point is I don't think most people take up martial arts with self defense as their number one goal...I do agree however that it is important to retain the martial aspects of the arts or else it is harder to instill those life skills in one's students...
    Last edited by Akhilleus; 07-28-2005 at 08:24 PM.

NAPMA? Arent they like the same kind of organization as NAMBLA?

Quote Originally Posted by Akhilleus
    No offense taken man, I have felt embarrassed sometimes while watching NAPMA vids, some of the stuff just seems so cheesy...but on the whole I really like their videos, and 90% of the time I think they are great stuff, with of course the other 10% making me say, "People actually pay to learn this stuff?!"

I agree that the martial aspect should not be cast aside, rather it should be embraced, and the life skills and martial skills should go hand in hand...

exactly...that's how it should be.

the way it was passed to me by my first teacher is that you have a responsibility as a martial artist to be a good person and that the lessons you learn while learning some bad ass skills are transferable to your everyday life.

Food for thought, is it possible to do both?

Absolutely. That's my goal. But, just looking at the samples I've run across in my 23 years of training I see that it's just not happening most of the time.

Maybe NAPMA is assuming that the school owner has their act together as far as teaching the martial aspects of their art and therefore focuses on helping them teach that material in a way that allows their school to be successful...

c'mon...I don't believe you really think that. The only thing NAPMA checks is 'availibility of funds' with the bank when they get the check from someone. It would be a nice assumption but the martial arts industry is unregulated so any half trained half wit can open a school.

More food for thought: for some, such as myself, MA training actually has little to do with self-defense...I'm not saying it has nothing to do with it, just that self-defense isn't my main reason for training...if it were I would get a gun and learn how to use it...actual self-defense techniques would help very little if 3 of the guy's friends jump out of the alley and it wouldn't help at all if he pulled a gun on me...so if there aren't any life skills behind my training that training wouldn't be very meaningful to me...

well, that's great and I won't ever knock anyone's reasons for training. I'm trying to adapt my methods of teaching to accomadate anyone who walks into my school. but there is essentially a lot of lying and half truths going on in the industry

I don't know man, what you see as the dumbing down of the industry I see as trying to find effective ways of teaching the traditional arts to modern people...

IF that were really what the goal was then that would be cool....but 'traditional' arts meant fighting arts....evolution and modernization is fine, I'm all for that. But the martial arts is being turned into something else completely these days. Anyone could learn how to play baseball, or learn to dance and still gain the same life skills that these uber commercial skills are purporting to grant you for $150 a month.

we live in a different society than that of our teacher's teacher's teacher...George W Bush with his 150 something bench press could pick up a phone and wipe a country off the face of the earth...OK maybe that's an exaggeration but my point is I don't think most people take up martial arts with self defense as their number one goal...I do agree however that it is important to retain the martial aspects of the arts or else it is harder to instill those life skills in one's students...
    right, again the martial training is what imparts the life skills.

I don't know man, what you see as the dumbing down of the industry I see as trying to find effective ways of teaching the traditional arts to modern people.
    But I have a problem with this kind of thing.
    Q:What new turn-key program would you like to see NAPMA create?
    A birthday start-up kit for hosting parties.
    A summer marketing and retention program.
    An escrima program.
    To create a watered down escrima program and lump it in with hosting birthday parties says something about where their heads are at. And now there's a entire industry of martial arts ad-ons to wring a little more money out of the students. Most of these are self defense with a catchy arconym for a name. The issue I have with them is that I thought self defense was supposed to be part of the martial art I'm taking. I meant "life" art that I'm taking.

I know some really good school owners who are NAPMA members so I'm not saying if you have a NAPMA sticker on your door you're a McDojo.

DM

yea, a buddy of mine runs a good school while using some of the NAPMA material for marketing. they train hard and everyone I've ever seen there has the desire and ability to really spar....even one 50+ year old woman with arthritis who didn't think twice about whacking me in the nuts as I stood there underestimating her after 'hajime' was called.

Talking

Mutant stole my thunder.