Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NAPMA: Good or Bad?

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    FTR, I do pay attention and take notes on some of their articles on kids.

the younger the kid the more it is just play for them and the best you can do is get some basic motor skills instilled and then maybe when they are 8 or so you can start getting some real martial skills going.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Oso,
    It sounds like we agree on most of the fundamental and ethical issues involved here...the thing is I've been so focused on doing my own thing lately that I haven't really seen too much questionable actions/BS that bothered me...marketing "world champions" and such can be misleading at times but these kind of marketing tactics aren't really necessary to have a successful school and oftentimes said schools are not successful so I don't really mind if they indulge themselves...

You suggested that MA in America doesn't offer any benefits that other sports don't offer...to which I offer two points for consideration:

1. The benefits that some sports may provide are immeasurable and well worth what the average student pays for karate/MA classes...for example, baseball may give an otherwise estranged father and son a reason to talk and play together...my point is that if we say karate = baseball we can say that karate = priceless

but let's look at it from another point of view...

2. As a former karate kid and little leaguer, I can say from experience that karate is about your parents giving you a hug b/c you broke a board and earned a new belt...baseball/basketball are sometimes about your parents treating you like you are worthless b/c you struck out or made a bad pass...I'm not saying this is always the case, just that it was for me...I will leave it up to you to decide which helped my confidence more and helped make me a better person...
    "Ooh! Look at these two hot chickens. Finkel wants some dinkle. Give it to him. Huh. Come on, Do it. Lay it on, right here. Do it. Do it." - Maury Finkle, founder of Finkle Fixtures, biggest lighting fixture chain in the Southland

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I agree with #1. Anything that can make a family unit tighter is worth whatever you have to do to make it so.

and I agree w/ #2 ... I've seen some parental responses to losses and such that make me want to just beat the living **** out of a dad...and some mom's. But I've seen that in martial tournaments as well when a kid screwed up. So, I'm not sure that, in my experience, I can say that the difference is the sport or the parent.

i think we're on the same page...just looking through slightly different prescriptions, that's all....
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I hate the walmart approach to martial arts.

As for "life" arts, sh1t man, doesn't everyone get oprah? lol

I wonder what it is that qualifies a ma instructor by virtue of being an ma instructor to teach life skills?

anyhow, that stuff gets deleted faster than a bush servant who's seen too much.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Kewl...now I just can't decide what's more pathetic, parents that take their kids' sports too seriously or the fact that one of my points was based on some quotes from the movies Field of Dreams and City Slickers...

"Dad...you want to have a catch?"

-Kevin Costner, Field of Dreams

"...when I was about 18 and my dad and I couldn't communicate about anything at all, we could still talk about baseball. Now that - that was real."

-Daniel Stern, City Slickers
    "Ooh! Look at these two hot chickens. Finkel wants some dinkle. Give it to him. Huh. Come on, Do it. Lay it on, right here. Do it. Do it." - Maury Finkle, founder of Finkle Fixtures, biggest lighting fixture chain in the Southland