Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taiji training is a way of living

Taiji training is a way of living

To learn taiji one must change your way of living, it starts small.
    Like when you put on socks, stand up with back straight in good posture and bring foot towards you.
    Or when you take a step to get something from the cubbord, step and move all weight to the other leg, keep it there to feel your center of gravety, now step to the other leg.

All small things in life can become training techniques.
    We all have these small excercizes to better our technique.

I would like to hear some,
    Train and be well!!
    "If we dont worry then nothing shall worry us, only then shall we be of sound mind"

In a way your right.

I used to try to make every second of my life tai chi, but every thing took waaay to long. like this short post would have taken me like 10 mins to type out if I did it in a tai chi manner!
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Taiji doesn't alway take long

Taiji principle is to trin slow to get the movements and principles right, if you start understanding the principles you can start implimenting it in real-time. But good point, only train more to get past the point of slowness and into peed
    "If we dont worry then nothing shall worry us, only then shall we be of sound mind"

"Like when you put on socks, stand up with back straight in good posture and bring foot towards you."
    * Sounds external to me, i dont think you know the real Taijiquan

Seriously i practice at work sometimes by just walking around the store and being mindfull of my posture and weight transfer.
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

Missing the point

It's about finding your center of gravity, when you stand on one leg while doing something else you learn to get used to where your weight should be. And in the same time stretching very important muscles. When you don't stretch your muscles in your body you might injure yourself doing movements like ground sparrow dragon or snake creeps down.

Taiji is still a martial art you must remember that, in traditional training like Chen village Style, you actually train a fighting style.

Don't get stuck on "what's internal and what's external". The problem with Chinese MA is people are too busy trying to make someone else's style look bad that they miss the essense of the age old saying: "If you want more tea, first empty your cup."

Learn from other people, then deside if you want to add to your knowledge or not, but if you don't want to see what someone else wants to teach you, how can he teach you?

(I am happy with my Taiji style, I know my liniage is proper and I am very happy with the results.)

Just getting something off my chest, let's all get along and benefit
    Enjoy

Tai Chi
    When a bus is so crowded that you have to stand, use small tai ji footwork to keep your balance, thats what I do.

Hsing-I's half step beng and drill, rise, fall, overturn
    really helped me shovel snow this year without
    back pain.
    One storm alone produced 31 inches.

Talking Mm, sounds interesting

BAI HE

Can you, if you don't mind, explain the stepping principals, I'm really quite interested in Hsing-I, though in my country it's not well known.

This site explains so much. Enjoy.

http://www.emptyflower.com/xingyiquan/index.html

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries

No stretching

When you have it There is no preparing for stretches. Having Taiji from taijiquan one theoretically would be very limber in control.

Doing Taijiquan furthers the process of increased flexibility. But stretching is only for classes/lessons level people. -ish

I use side stepping of Cloud Hands to keep steady pace while sweeping. Cloud Hands stepping allows solid base while my upper parts can move at different faster paces.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Greetings..

It's all Tai Chi.. including, but not exclusively, combat.. Life in real time can be Tai Chi (it can also be combat).. when we move as a single fluid unit, we approach Tai Chi.. when we see the path of least resistance and use it, we approach Tai Chi.. when we learn to control a situation rather than dominate it, we approach Tai Chi..

Every movement can be an exercise in Tai Chi, if our intention is so inclined.. Tai Chi principles are present in every aspect of living (and dying).. each act is an opportunity to learn/experience.. except when we choose otherwise.. to assert that this is not so conflicts with the basic Taoist principles that are foundational to the art..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

ShaolinWood

I was actualy making a feeble attempt at poking a bit of humour at your post.

The external internal comment was nothing but a silly joke.
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

No offence taken

Hey I love it when people challenge my statements, it's the only way to learn and question oneself.
    jon keep em coming.

Thanks TaichiBob, very well stated! Taiji should be a mindset, or even not a mindset(It should be natural) and how we practice our different styles of martial arts we can all imply Taiji principals.

What I would like to hear from someone is ways to sharpen up your reflexes, I had many talks with various people on this, and it's something that everyone would like to do.

Here's one of the excercises I like to do: Stand relaxed infront of a tree (with fair foilage), with one hand holded like a cup infront of your belly(facing up) then the other hand in ready position next to your hip. Then as fast as posible shoot it out and pick a leaf from the tree, try to get precision right and not wild plucking. Start slof and then speed up. place the leaf in the cup -hand. Do this a couple of times with both hands.

Like to hear from you-all!
    Have a great day!

ShaolinWood

"Hey I love it when people challenge my statements, it's the only way to learn and question oneself.
    jon keep em coming."

* Errr what challenge to your statements?
    Do you normaly feel challenged when someone makes a joke at your expense?

Im not to sure how many times im going to have to say this but i WAS KIDDING!!!
    It was *not* a serious statement and i dont have any 'challenge' to your statements.

Gawd im exhausted, i cant believe im even writing this, especialy this part now

All the best
    Jon

- Huang Kai Vun

Smile Sheesh, not directed at you specificly,

I didn't mean like a challenge and I know you were kidding,
    Anyway, thanx for stating a comment then, if its refrained a bit better.

Just casual conversation, I don't mean any disrespect.
    Enjoy