There are no WC fighters.
    No WC guy has won a match in:

K-1
    Rings
    Pancrase
    Pride
    UFC

or ANY NHB event.

Wing Chun is irrelevant in modern fighting. All these schools can point to is a bunch of guys in the 50's whipping on other guys in the 50's, in Hong Kong.

So, instead this board focuses on tearing each other down, rather than figuring out WHY no one trains Wing Chun to win in the professional circuits. That's right. Wing Chung people always assert...."Oh we couldn't use our art int he
    UFC 'cause it's tooooo deadly. We train eye gouges, punching the throat, and all
    sorts of deadly techniques from the TOP SECRET Bil-gee form. The Rules prohibit use
    from fight there."

Wing Chun people are dilusional. They've been brain washed into thinking their "Superior technique"
    will overcome the stronger more aggressive opponent. They just use this as an excuse
    for not training hard and aggressively.
    Last edited by Sihing73; 07-07-2005 at 03:21 PM.

Um... you're judging WC because the practitioners don't compete in tournaments that the WC community as a whole seems uninterested in?

And if everybody that hasn't won in Pride, UFC, etc. is a sissy who can't chain punch their way out of a wet paper bag... where does that put you?

Wow i would of never knew the WC community had such animosity and traits, i have only been training at my WC gym for a few months now but i would of never knew other WC gyms were any different. Seeing as how at my gym we train very hard sweat buckets, pad work, sparring ,partner drills etc. Still a new gym just a few months old since Feb, but the gym is getting more and more people coming in. Its to bad to hear that WC has alot of infighting towards each other. As for WC fighters my gym is active in tournament and san shou competition and my teacher promotes competition and i belive he is looking into starting his own events in the future.

I believe there is someone on this board who was posting about new martial boxing system in australia. It combines muay thai, boxing, wing chun with groundwork and they apparently had been having success in MMA events. It makes sense, wing chun would be good for clinch range/near clinch range. But many times a good muay thai fighter will stay out of our ideal fighting range where out punches are much less effective. Therefore you'd need to train in a longer distance punching system, as we can't just charge in and go for throat or eyes in MMA...

Hang on, who was it who was just b!tching about other wing chun people...?

Oh yeah. 'Silent' 'Warrior'.

Won much NHB have we? Link to Sherdog or similar appreciated.

We have a pact at my kung-fu school. If I see Frank Shamrock or similar in the bar and accidentally bump into him, I'm going to buy him a beer.

I don't train 8 hours a day for a profession. I train in Wing Chun for a few hours a week. Why? To maximize my chances of a confrontation.

I'm not dilusional. If I'm faced with a large MMA champion, I'm going to still use the Wing Chun that I've learned...I'm going to talk my way out of a confrontation because I'm better than the fight itself. And if sh!t goes down...well...hopefully I'll have enough in my arsenal to get myself to safety. Not crush the guy...I said safety.

Honestly, I think beer is the best self-defense tool us Canadians have!!!
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Troll or no, he does pose a very valid question. One that I know keeps many from studying wing chun. I've seen two fighters in MMA events, both lost badly on the ground, and didn't even show anything remotely impressive standing up. The excuse that wing chun is not a competition art is bs. Not fighting is a new thing for all martial arts. In china, in the past, challenge matches were a regular occurance, and a necessity to proving your worth as a martial artist and/or a teacher. I feel wing chun would benefit tremendously from a representative in MMA, and without it, I doubt it will continue to grow much, as there is no proof of it's effectiveness in a real fight. The bs about it "being to deadly" just doesn't make any sense. Everyone can gouge eyes, kick to the groin, and strike the throat. If it's truely effective, it should be able to be used in the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by negativecr33p
    Troll or no, he does pose a very valid question. One that I know keeps many from studying wing chun. I've seen two fighters in MMA events, both lost badly on the ground, and didn't even show anything remotely impressive standing up. The excuse that wing chun is not a competition art is bs. Not fighting is a new thing for all martial arts. In china, in the past, challenge matches were a regular occurance, and a necessity to proving your worth as a martial artist and/or a teacher. I feel wing chun would benefit tremendously from a representative in MMA, and without it, I doubt it will continue to grow much, as there is no proof of it's effectiveness in a real fight. The bs about it "being to deadly" just doesn't make any sense. Everyone can gouge eyes, kick to the groin, and strike the throat. If it's truely effective, it should be able to be used in the ring.
    About time! a man with sence not hiding behind the bs

Wing Tsun is not too deadly to be used in the ring, but not everyone wants to be a pro fighter.

The only thing that matters is that when you train WT, you and only you need to believe in it. I personally believe WT kicks ass.

negativecr33p

If it's truely effective, it should be able to be used in the ring.
    I think you may have answered your own doubt?!?!?!?! Ask yourself why there are rules against this type of thing. Why can't you use small joint manipulation and eye gouges if they don't work? Seems to me, if they are such crap and not effective they should be allowed.
    John Widener

'Understand your limits, but never limit your understanding'.

" I may disapprove of what you say,
    but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
    Voltaire

www.wing-chun.us

A number of fighters from my organisation have competed successfully - and recently - in kickboxing, MMA, and BJJ.

My instructor had 100+ amateur kickboxing fights and 37 pro fights, winning the vast majority.
    Last edited by Sihing73; 07-07-2005 at 03:23 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by azwingchun
    I think you may have answered your own doubt?!?!?!?! Ask yourself why there are rules against this type of thing. Why can't you use small joint manipulation and eye gouges if they don't work? Seems to me, if they are such crap and not effective they should be allowed.
    I never said they don't work. The reason you can't use them is because of obvious reasons. Fighters would run the risk of being blinded, and small joint manipulation can result in permanenant injury to the fingers, easily. My point, was that these are techniques that do NOT have to be trained to be used. Two fighters of equal skill level could employ them just as easily, no matter with they practiced boxing, wing chun, or even taekowndo. It in no way makes an martial art "effective". And anyway, san shou competitions allow eye gouges, and groin shots. Not sure about small joint manipulation. But these are still not techniques that are relied upon in these competitions. Because they are in no way fool proof. Anyone who claims these are the reasons wing chun does not work in a competitive setting are just perpetuating the belief that kung fu and TMAs in general are just making up excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaegen
    Wing Tsun is not too deadly to be used in the ring, but not everyone wants to be a pro fighter.

The only thing that matters is that when you train WT, you and only you need to believe in it. I personally believe WT kicks ass.

Now, I am not disputing the effectiveness of wing chun, but I ask this question purely out of curiosity. Is this based on your personal experiences, ie. fights that you have been in? And if so, were these fights with someone who had trained in other fighting systems as much as you have/had trained in wing chun? Personal faith can go a long way. I even believe in the proper circumstances it can make the differance. And don't tell me every single wing chun practioner has simply decided they do not wish to become a pro fighter. It just doesn't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by negativecr33p
    Now, I am not disputing the effectiveness of wing chun, but I ask this question purely out of curiosity. Is this based on your personal experiences, ie. fights that you have been in? And if so, were these fights with someone who had trained in other fighting systems as much as you have/had trained in wing chun? Personal faith can go a long way. I even believe in the proper circumstances it can make the differance. And don't tell me every single wing chun practioner has simply decided they do not wish to become a pro fighter. It just doesn't make any sense.
    You blind?

There's a few posts just above stating that there are fighters competing.

There's been lots of posts previously about WC guys doing all sorts of ring fights.

I think Silent Warrior (and negativecr33p) don't read the forum.

The most smack talking recently was from HIM!

Quote Originally Posted by Edmund
    You blind?

There's a few posts just above stating that there are fighters competing.

There's been lots of posts previously about WC guys doing all sorts of ring fights.

I think Silent Warrior (and negativecr33p) don't read the forum.

The most smack talking recently was from HIM!

Not blind, first post was just clarifying my argument. Second one I was just asking a question about the blind faith many have in TMAs. That is all. Perhaps if more wing chun practitioners are motivated to compete, the whole system as a whole will benefit.