Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Little Four Hands of Korea

Little Four Hands of Korea

Here is the cover of a book I am working on.
    It includes the complete 2 person drill.

This form, Little Four Hnads, came to our school in Taiwan via Korea. I would like to find more info from Korean Mantis folk who have learned this form.

As for those who want the book I will announce when it becomes available.

Kevin

Shuaishou Mantis?

When I was learning Mantis, I learned a lot of jibenquan. The forms I learned were not true forms; rather they were techniques linked together and repeated more than twice. The forms that I learned were (in this order):

1. Ba Shou (eight hands?)
    2. Wu Shou (five " ")
    3. Qi Shou (seven " ")

I read somewhere that Qishou is part of a lineage of Mantis called Shuaishou, or "throwing hands." Could your form as well as the three forms above be part of Shuaishou too?

My Mantis teacher was Chinese but he was born in Korea. So I was wondering if there was a common link.

Wow

From your cover it looks like our 2 man set. Our mantis is from lin pin zhang lineage in Korea. We use a monkey hook instead of a mantis hook after the opponent attacks with the ridge hand, you use the monkey hook......not sure if its the same as yours, but looks **** close to it.
    LCP

Thumbs up It's about time!

Hi Kevin,

It's been long over due, man! Even Harry Potter 6 won't take that long to be released. You obvious not going to be a bilionaire any sooner. LOL...

Seriously, I am very excited to see Shrfu Shr proof read this also! We can expect the highest quality for sure. *two thumbs way up*

So, where to line up?

Warmest regards

Robert

PS is there an accompanying video as well? Or may be you are saving that for the "Meihwalu" release?
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

four hands

Another treasure from Pong Lai.One of the many things I like about this form is that it's taught from both sides,right and left and that it introduces the forearm as a weapon.
    phoenixdog

The forearm is a weapon?? I never knew! JK!! HE HE!
    Mr. Brazier, let me know and I shall order a copy, but only if it is autographed!!
    JK I will still order one if not!

Congrats my friend, long over due!
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

taichireva,
    Did you compare your qi shou to the 7 hands of 8 Step Mantis? Since they have the same name I wonder if they are the same form.
    We also have lien wu shou. In Taiji PM of Mantis108 school the same form is called Lien Wu Chuei(?) Is that right Robert?
    But we also have several short partner sets called 5 hands or 5 connected hands.

Very similar to Pai an, but shorter.

LCP, Do you also have forms the same as his...5 hands and 7 hands?
    Since you are both of the Korean branches.

Also, could you expand upon your form little four Hands?
    My Shifu has traveled to Korea to exchange PM over there.
    They have also come to Taiwan and taught.

Now we do the forms mirror image, both left and right. But as I recall my shifu didn't learn it that way.
    Do you only do one side?
    Is the first technique the low block?
    In the 2 man form do you start the action with the straight kick?

I made this book a while ago, but it is too short to try and sell.
    John Scolaro is making a video an asked if he could include the little book with the video.

Since I pulled it out i thought I would expand on the book for the students I hope to get when I return to the states-November.

Smile Hi Kevin and All,

In CCK TCPM, we have Wulangchui (Five Brothers' Punch), which IMHO is not a PM original rather it came from Jingwu. In fact, one of Mr. Pel's student in Shanghai posted their version on video of it somewhere on the net before. It looked quite decedent. I believe Wulangchui was a piece taken from one of the 5 Battle Fist forms although I could not remember which Battle Fist it came from. Regardless, it does fit nicely with all other Mantis drills. Try the Ponglai version of Yi Bu San Chui and even Little four hands with it. I am sure you will find it pretty interesting.

As for the others, like San Chui (3 punches), Wu Chui, etc, they are true important basics. San Chui can be played in so many ways that you call dedicate a whole video on it just to expound on the principles and drills that are involved. Wu Chui is yet another interesting piece. I believe Sifu Carl Albright has a drill Beng Da Bi Men (Crashing Strike Closed Door) that is the 2 men version of the Wu Chui.

Qishou (seven hands), Pai An/Yan Qing Po Shou (slap press) and Lian Wu Shou Qi Yao (Connecting Five Hands Marvellous Essentials) of the older manuscripts IMHO are definitely the absolutely gems of Tanglangquan.

Warmest regards

Robert (Mantis108)

PS I would love to see the Korean or another versions of these.

對敵交手歌訣

妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Smile Forgot to say...

It's a great idea to have the video and text as a package. I hope to see this product available soon.

Mantis108

對敵交手歌訣

妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Hello Kevin,

Lee Byong Chun taught this in the late 60's early 70's in Korea. I will check my notes. You can email me; lawclansman@gmail.com
    I remember we went to Taiwan and I saw a number of people doing the same sets that we were taught (1972). I have Sifu Lee doing a set on film (super 8). A verson of Yat Lo Jak Yiu of which he taught 6 as was common in Korea.
    Sifu Carl

Talking Almost the same!

When the movement is started by the straight(front)kick, we do a few variations of the block for the kick. In ready postion(left leg forward), after partner kicks you (1)step back into horse stance w/left leg blocking down w/ right forarm( you're faceing the leg). ....or
    (2)do as your's
    This is the first 2-man set we learn. name??? dont know....we always called it 1st 2-man set.
    Many of our forms have a Korean mix to their name. And some are quite slurred in translation due to passing down from chinese-korean-english <- i guess
    What is your lineage?
    Mine: Lin Pin Zhang- Ji Chun Ting-Chun Dai Soung-Carlos Aguilar-Me

LCP

Lin Pin Zhang lineage

Hello everybody,

I am if the Lin Pin Zhang lineage also.I dont know the Little 4 Hands form, but we do practice Shao Wu Shou (little 5 hands) and lui shou (6 hands). There are 4 sets of lui shou.

LingChuanPai,
    I would like to discuss the Lin Pin Zhang forms with you. We have a form Chin Kang Chuan (gold-steel fist). I was wondering if you practice the same form.

mantis_fu

lineage: Lin Pin Zhang - G.M. Victor Cheng - Yun Yang Wang - me

There's a problem, i dont know the chinese names to any of my forms with the exception of Ba Chu and Xiao Fu Ien. The form that you speak of (gold steel fist) may be a form that we called tong long carowen?
    Could you please explain the begining of the form?
    LCP

Lim Pom Chang was a mantis stylist who was
    born in 1910. He taught from the 1940's until 1982 when
    he passed away. I met him around 1974 or so as I was
    learning from his student Park Chil Sung. Lim Poon Chang
    had a school in Seoul but taught sometimes at the
    Chinese embassy (Chung Gook Tessa Gwon). He Had a friend
    named Kang Kyun Bang. Kang mostly taught in Pussan and
    sometimes Che Jee Do Island his student Lee Byung Chun
    was my other Korean mantis teacher.
    Lim poon Chang and Kang Kyun Bang escaped from China
    during the Mao Tse Tung era. Since I learned all of this
    in Korea, I don't know their Chinese names.
    In 1990, there were 4 main gung fu associations in
    Korea.
    1. The Korean Kung Fu Association Inc.
    2. The Pa Kua Association in Inchon
    3. The korean / Chinese Kung Fu and martial Arts
    Association
    4. The Tae Han Ship Pal Gae Association.
    There are many schools that teach both Tae Kwon Do and
    Kung Fu. The Koreans call kung fu ship pal gae (18
    styles). This was mainly due to the popularlarity of the
    mantis system and the 18 styles contained within.
    One of the more famous teachers in Seoul is Lee Duk
    Kang.
    Here is how it is beileved to have passed down (Korean Version):

The creator of mantis style was Wong Long. One of his
    sytudents was Kang Hwa Lung. Kang was an expert in the
    many palm strikes of mantis in particular. Kang's
    student was Kee Chung Chong who taught Lim Poom Chang
    who brought the art to Korea. His most famous student
    was Hong Moon Tak. Hong not only mastered mantis but
    northern Shaolin as well.
    Sifu Carl

Kang Hwa Lung must be Jiang Hua Long.
    When my shifu was there he saw the original copy of Jiang Hua Long's shifu's manuscript.