Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Randy Williams Wing Chun

Randy Williams Wing Chun

I've noticed that from all the WC instructors that are out there Randy Williams is the one with more tharinig videos of all (Correct me if I'm wrong). However It's really hard to find any info or videoclips of him in acton. have anyone seen him doing WC, Chi Sao, Sparring...? Is he any good?

What about his vids? Are they good?
    Last edited by r4cy; 07-31-2005 at 09:46 PM.

Not sure

Hello,

I have not seen any of his videos nor have I met him. However, I introduced WC to a Karate Instructor in Bloomsburg several years ago who now trains with Randy. He speaks very highly of Randys skill and says he is a joy to train with.

I am not even sure if Randy Williams is still in the US as he had taken work outside of the country at one point. I know that some people do not like him and may even feel he has duplicated works of others, most notably, Sifu Augustine Fong.

I have Randys series of books and have found them to be of interest and very detailed. He also gives credit to Sifu George Yau and Sifu Augustine Fong. In his forward he admits to not being of the highest of either Sifus' students, but he does, IMHO, give a good overall representation of the art. As a matter of fact he is one of the few to detail the complete system to include the Plum Blossom poles and Iron Palm as well as cover ground fighting, albeit breifly.

If the videos are anything like his book series then I would say they would be worth getting. Of course, having never seen the videos you can take this opinion with a grain of salt.

Peace,

Dave
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

I have seen a few of theRandy Williams videos many years ago.They are good but in my opinion don"t as detailed as the book.Th ebook is buy far the best he's produced so far.
    http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..

I saw one of his videos on the Mook Jong. It was pretty good. He appears to be a well rounded and knowledgeable fighter(Wing Chun practitioner). If I remember right, in the video he gave props to his Sifu Augustine Fong. Also, he apparently worked as a body guard for Steven Segal at one point. LOL Seems kinda funny if you think about it.

I've got his wooden dummy videos and I think they are excellent. His explanation of techniques is good and so is his demonstration. They also use several different camera angles and speeds too. He also goes into brief application for each technique.

I'd say they're worth the money.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Randy Williams

Well I think he's pretty good. I train w/ him monthly, at least. I find his videos and books detailed and informitive and if I have any questions he's a phone call away. He does seminars in the states frequently. We will be having one in Frederick MD. hopefully in November, come check him out.
    I am sure you'll learn a lot and have fun.
    Don Berry

randy willliams

hi r4cy' i host randy's semminaars here in australia, randy"S books and videos are among the best there is i highly recomened randys chi sau and combat drill tapes they are among the best i have seen. peace russell sherry
    russellsherry

Nice Thanks for the info. For all who know, Randy has combat chi sao tapes for each form. Also he has two videos focusing on combat chi sao only. What would be the best to to apreciate his chi sao? Should I get the chi sao techniques video of the Siu Nim Tao? or the two tapes of the combat chi sao tapes?

what does combat chi sao mean? is that some kind of marketing thing..
    http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..

I dunno. Propably it is. That's just how the tapes are called. Combat Chi Sao strategies etc etc. At the end it's just chi sao.I was just making reference for those who know.

Combat Chee Sau

Combat Chee Sau is the non cooperative chee sau. as opposed to cooperative sticky hand excercises as in single sticky hand. The tapes demonstrate how to attack from the 4 various hand positions and how to respond to attacks. Strategies off the roll. I prefer the combat set to the siu leem tao set.
    Don Berry

Interesting. I'll check them out.

Thumbs down

I bought the Siu Nim Tao Chi Sao combat aplications #1 of the Randy Williams series. I have to say that even though it is pleasant to watch good techniques being applied I was really dissapointed in how the video itself was made. It is not an explanation or teaching aid, it's more of a demonstrative video where Randy just kick his students &^es. There are comments on top of the actual audio that are made through out the video. The comments don't help at all . I said to myself they are not even explaining things clearly, when all the sudden Randy Williams says " Actually we are not making any sense here so I expect viewers to pay atention to the technique and simply.....(and then his sidekick says Ignore us!

There's when I said.. What? If they admit they are not making any sense why they just don't SHUT UP instead on confusing the viewer with useless comments.

To my opinion this is the type of video made just for lucrative purposes and they don't care what the viewer can get out of it. If this is just a demonstration video made to show the techniques in the Siu nim Tao "concepts" video then they should tell you just that. But they make you feel you are going to get something different, when actually you won't. My advice to all the people here is.. stay away from it.

Sorry if anyone feels bothered by my comments. I just wanted to let people know so they'll save their money.
    Last edited by r4cy; 08-08-2005 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by r4cy
    It's really hard to find any info or videoclips of him in acton. have anyone seen him doing WC, Chi Sao, Sparring...?
    Anyone who hasn't seen Randy in action can check him out on this site:
    http://www.crca.it/italiano/galleriafotografica.htm

You can get a pretty good idea of how he trains and moves by looking the animated GIFs in the following sections: chi-sau, "difesa contro calci", and "difesa personale."

-Lawrence
    I don't think Wing Chun is so limited that I can't do it when I wrestle, box, kickbox, or fight by MMA rules, nor am I so limited a student that I can't improve by training in each of those forums. -Andrew S

A good instructor encourages his students to question things, think for themselves and determine their own solutions to problems. They give advice, rather than acting as a vehicle for the transmission of dogma.
    -Andrew Nerlich

racy4

Dude,
    Didn't I tell you not to get that video! That particular video are techniques done at full speed w/ no explanations, just a watch and learn. If you havent been in the system for years, your not going to be able to follow. If you had of gotten the tape I suggested you may have gained some insights into your Chee Sau training.
    Y ou have to be able to follow instructions and be a little open minded to learn.