Thread: Pushups

Pushups

I enjoy performing pushups between two chairs. Does any martial artists do pushups between chairs for an increase range of motion? WHat reps and sets are completed for pushups between pushups.

P.S., for even greater range of motion pushups between two chairs on knuckles. Performing pushups on knuckles also conditions for punches.

Doing them on chairs increases your range of motion, but not by that much.

If you're looking to make your pushups harder you can try:

diamond pushups (thumb and index fingers touching with your hands under your chest, it makes a diamond shape betwen your fingers) (places more stress on the triceps)

pushups with the feet elevated (places more stress on the front deltoid (shoulder) muscle)

handstand pushups (you can put your feet against a wall) (works the front deltoid a lot and places minimal stress on the pecs)

One arm pushups

You'll probably get more results in the training forum.

And welcome to KFM.
    Last edited by IronFist; 08-02-2005 at 10:05 PM.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

A word to the wise: you can do pushups in between chairs or you can purchase push up bars for the same purpose, and you will indeed get extra range of motion, but beware. While you will probably see an increase in the number of pushups you can perform, there is also risk of injuring your shoulders this way. If you want to do them this way, do them SLOWLY, with proper form. Emphasis is on SLOWLY. If you do them fast, you place a lot of stress on your shoulder joints. I found this out the hard way. I have a permanent injury in my right shoulder as a result of doing pushups this way. Granted, I'm 28 and have performed thousands of pushups in the military, and my injury is very lilkely a cumulative one, a combination of pushups and too much flat bench press. But the warning is sound. My injury, at least the straw that broke the camels' back, occurred while performing pushups on Weider pushup bars. I'm almost positive it happened because of the frequency, intensity and SPEED at which I was performing the pushups. I think the stress is worst at the bottom of the repetition, when your chest and shoulders are stopping your face and body from hitting the ground. This stress is increased when you do your reps faster. All I know for sure is that before I did pushups that way, I never had a problem with my shoulder. Ever since the injury, my right AC joint pops and clicks every time I lift my right hand above my shoulder height. At first, I thought I had a rotator cuff injury. This was later ruled out by an Army PA. He told me he suspects injury to my right biceps tendon or possible SLAP lesion. Perhaps Chris Jurak would care to elablorate more on the subject?

Sounds like my osteolysis. Search google, there's lots of material out there. It's manageable with some PT.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo