Thread: Sanshou Training

Sanshou Training

Hi. This is my first post
    Im 14 turning 15 September 9th and am planning to start Sanshou. Im trying to prepare my body to be able to take a beating and survive. However, I recently sustained a rotator cuff injury on my right arm so I am unable to do any excercises with it. Please look through my workouts and see if there is anything else I should to prepare my body. (I do not have access to a gym and am only using my own body weight)

Workout 1:
    10 sets x 20 Leg Raises (in between each set i hold an elbow planche for 30 sec. and then continue into the next set)
    50 Twisting Crunches
    5 sets x 10 Left handed pushups
    50 crunches (with legs straight and off the ground)

Workout 2:
    10 sets x 10 Squats
    5 sets x 20 Standing calf raises
    3 sets x 60 second wall sits

Workout 3:
    10 sets x 20 Twisting Leg Raises
    10 sets x 10 second Supermans
    50 Twisting crunches

I only do workouts when I dont feel sore and alternate between sets. Any comments are greatly appreciated.

A workout routine is more effective when you are consistant with it. So instead of only working out when you're not sore, I would schedule your workouts for certain days at certain times. Maybe 3 resistance training workouts a week. Like Mon. Wed, Fri.

I would also add some cardio vascular endurance in there on off days. You will need a lot of wind for sanshou. Try to mimic the load you will be under when fighting.

Things you can do:
    3 minute rounds of jumping rope.
    3 minute rounds of sprints.
    3 minute rounds of shadow boxing.
    Any kind of interval training.

You could also alter your resistance routine to be 3 minutes on 1 minute off.

Lastly, a shoulder injury can be prolonged or get worse if you don't give it time to heal. So take it easy.

Good luck.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/