Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Numchucks

Numchucks

OK so I heard the numchucks or nunchaku or whatever make for really good seminars so I dug through my closet to find the foam pair I had purchased at a seminar at least 15 years ago...

They were hard to handle and felt like they would do wonders for my coordination so I started practicing them everyday for at least 15-30 min...just doing basic moves right now, nothing too fancy...some stuff I remembered from the seminars I took as a kid and some stuff from videos...

anyway these chucks are pretty old and the chord looks like it is ready to break...so I go to my buddies school across the street but they only have glochucks...they look the right size but are a little light so I shoved some pens and junk in there (I am saving the glosticks for special occasions) and they are still a little light but I feel like they are much better than nothing...

I found the lighter glochucks a little bit easier to handle than the foam ones so I want to order a pair of rattan or octaganol wooden ones soon to make things more challenging...Also going to watch some Bruce Lee movies 'cause I feel like I am getting proficient enough at the basic moves to start trying some more fancy ones...right now I am suppose to do the seminar sometime in September so I will keep practicing them every day...

discuss...
    "Ooh! Look at these two hot chickens. Finkel wants some dinkle. Give it to him. Huh. Come on, Do it. Lay it on, right here. Do it. Do it." - Maury Finkle, founder of Finkle Fixtures, biggest lighting fixture chain in the Southland

Chicks dig guys with numchuck skills.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

the new school uniform

I think, any seminar featuring 'chucks would benefit for the use of appropriate protective gear.

nunchaku are great for arm conditioning. I was never really too hot on the whole chuck idea until one day i messed up my elbow real good.

I couldnt do push ups for about a month, was at the local budo shop when i decided I would get a foam pair and see how well they helped in rehabilitating my damaged joint.

The great thing is you can work your techs with very little force at all, just simply going through the motions. Or you can blast all your power into every strike. This is what really helped me out. I would varie the degree of power i used to the point where it was just right and my elbow could handle the pain. Gradually increasing the level.

After a month of that I bought a pair of the wooden octogon rope nunchaku. The added weight did wonders on upping the amount of strain on my joint.

Now, a year later my elbow is fine. Of course i would bruse the hell out of the inner elbows but thats all superficial, and heals just fine. I attribute chucking to a major part of the therapy that got my arm back. And now im pretty confident i could mess a mo fo up if i needed to.

I tell you of all the places ive hit myself i would have to say the knob on the outside of my right ankle was the worst. Straight dropped me to the floor. Ive hit my groin elbow head and various other places but that was the worst.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I love chucks.

I've got a pair of maple octagonal w/ round ends and the Speedchuck(tm) swivel.
    I've got them about 1983....shortly after I busted out the picture window in the living room.

I've got another maple octagonal set w/ squared ends and rope. I bought some 2mm Kevlar rope at a climbing shop and restrung them and they are pretty sweet.

I think chucks are great for learning to stick and follow a moving object so is good for developing chin na skills.

I just did a class with some of my students teaching them basic movements and passes...I've also got 6 pair of foam chuck

so, chinese or japanese, they are much fun.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Yeah I love the 'chucks...hopefully I can get those wooden ones soon...

I don't practice in the living room anymore coz onetime I lost them and they hit the big screen...luckily no damage was done but I learned my lesson...

Thanks for the article Gene...I'm hoping that my chucks can help me out with that area of my life too (chicks dig chucks)...
    "Ooh! Look at these two hot chickens. Finkel wants some dinkle. Give it to him. Huh. Come on, Do it. Lay it on, right here. Do it. Do it." - Maury Finkle, founder of Finkle Fixtures, biggest lighting fixture chain in the Southland

[QUOTE=Oso]I love chucks.

I've got a pair of maple octagonal w/ round ends and the Speedchuck(tm) swivel.
    I've got them about 1983....shortly after I busted out the picture window in the living room.

Ok, I sent my chucks flying in '82 and knocked over a lamp. Anyone else would have known to forge ahead with caution....instead I made an excuse, they slipped, I am really starting to get good .
    I really thought that I was a bad mo fo with them untill about 5 minutes later, again going as fast as I could, when I dropped myself to my knees from cracking them into my skull. Yup, they were the octagon shaped ones.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

I accidently smashed a porsline/glass lamp in my bedroom. So I bought a new one, exactly like the first. I smashed that one too. So I got another one. That one lasted about a year. So now I don't bother to buy a new lamp so there's just a lightbulb hanging from the roof. It's been like that for 2 years I think.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

must... post... this... here...

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

that totally just became my desktop background at work.

excellent find sir!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I think Chucks are good to learn hand/eye cordination and they look good spinning around (Poi is also nice) however as a weapon I don't care for them. Seems like they're illegal to even carry in your car in most parts of the country.

A more practical weapon is a staff or walking cane. Easier to use, not illegal to carry a cane anywhere....even in an airplane.

i personally love em. i always have to re rope them for the right length when i buy em.

ive gravitated far away from doing flashy techniques though. i like to keep it simple, effecient, and powerful. fortunately for myself ive stopped accidentally hitting myself about a year ago.

ive noticed most people that do nunchaku, have a similar approach that modern contemp wushu guys have in comparison to combat relations.

most nunchaku is just crap.

they are illegal to carry, but i could imagine someones suprise to face someone who has a profeciency with them.

hell i would pay to see some nunchaku in a real life situation. i just dont want to pay THE MAN, myself.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Funny the timing of this since I just posted this on Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KVUDXq6Kb8
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Numchuk sticks!!!

****! We don't have the rawhide models!!!

Did Somebody Say "Nunchucks"?
    by Mike Krumboltz
    44 hours ago

It's not every day that you get to hear U.S. Senators and a Supreme Court nominee talk about nunchucks. Today was one such day.

In one of the more unintentionally light exchanges of the second day of confirmation hearings for Judge Sonia Sotomayor, Sen. Orrin Hatch of Utah questioned Sotomayor on Maloney v. Rice. The case involved the banning of nunchucks, a martial arts weapon made from two sticks of wood and connected by a chain or, as Sen. Hatch suggested, "rawhide."

The mention of nunchucks, which Sotomayor judged to be a deadly weapon and thus subject to a ban in New York, sparked off a huge flurry of searches. Lookups on "nunchucks" and the alternate spelling "nunchaku" both chopped up the Search box.

Likely to surge as the day wears on: "origin of nunchucks." Where do these things come from and who, aside from Napoleon Dynamite, actually finds them to be an effective weapon? Well, Bruce Lee used them in various films. Oh, and let us not forget Michelangelo from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. 'Nuff said.

You can watch Sen. Hatch and Judge Sotomayor talk nunchucks below...
    Click the link for the clip.

Viva Sotomayor!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart