Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: spam

Radio U is a local Christian station here that's become pretty popular... they play some good stuff imo, lol. Wierd spam though. I wonder if he would've kept on going if you just said nothing :-P

Originally posted by Brad
    Radio U is a local Christian station here that's become pretty popular... they play some good stuff imo, lol. Wierd spam though. I wonder if he would've kept on going if you just said nothing :-P
    No, they don't. You have to keep feeding them to get more. I've talked to some before, I carried a 5 minute conversation before I realized it was a robot.
    I have a signature.

Originally posted by Laughing Cow
    Could be trying to get either your details or infect your PC via a fake 404 page.

By the time you loaded that page he already got your IP, OS, Browser and much more info.

Right, how do you do that (get the info)? Someone did that to me once but they wouldn't tell me how.

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

radiou.com is a legit site, I'm looking at it now.

Originally posted by IronFist

Right, how do you do that (get the info)? Someone did that to me once but they wouldn't tell me how.

IronFist
    Easy, you can use a javascript imbedded in the HTML code to extract the info, plenty of samples online.

Your browser will automatically publish plenty of information, which a lot of sites use to forward you to browser, location & language specific versions of a site.

Some sites will also re-adjust the web-page according to the your screen resolution and similar.

This info is also used by sites to track who visited and so on.

This all happens transparent to the viewer of the site, if you replace Javascript with Java or a similar languag you can do even more.

Cheers.
    Witty signature under construction.

IF,
    someone can make a fake 404 page and embed a little app there that records the visitor's details.

Alot like some "site meters" that you can download to put on your website to get visitor stats, but the evil ones dig deeper and can even check to see if you have open ports or other security breaches and then potentially install trojans.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's still on the list.

www.curious3d.com

"Right, how do you do that (get the info)? "

Backdoors, trojans. Havent been into that sh!t in years, and my "certified computer tech" certificate expired like 4 yrs ago....
    hehehe

they're database style apps - they store the data in a text file or in a table either somewhere on the web or on the creator's hard drive.

This is where I get shaky, but I think your computer pretty much broadcasts your IP and other basic info unless you tell it not to via a firewall, and then it's pretty much a matter of a program searching for a hole to get into. These programs seek out specific files with relevant info.

www.curious3d.com

it's a bot...
    I have a friend who's experimenting with a bot in the chat room of his website...my other friends who didn't know almost had a conversation with it...LOL their reactions and conversations are really limited but they can learn a bit, and be programmed to react in specific ways to certain words...

this one definitely was a bible bot...
    Risk 0 doesn't exist.

there's some bot on AIM that you can have pretty good conversations with. I forgot the sn, but my sister knows it.

ok, i have another hacking question for you. two, actually. If you're just IM'ing with someone, can they get your info? How? Second question: I was playing a network game with someone, and they got all my info (where i dialed up from, ip address, etc.) How did they do that?

I just got a BS in information systems but we never learned any of that cool stuff.

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Re: ever get an IM spam like this?

Originally posted by IronFist
    (I quickly looked up some bible quotes on a search engine so I could fight fire with fire)
    Me: but Matthew 19:26 says "With God all things are possible"
    Me: so it would be possible for me to get to heaven without praying OR repenting, would it not?
    I do have to answer this since the bot wasn't smart enough to. By trying to get to heaven without praying or repenting would be trying to do it without God. The verse said with God all things are possible.

But talking about IM spam, the only ones I get are for webcams. I could pretty much just shut down all internet based IMs since I have never recieved a legitimate one from there. I am on AOL as well. The bot someone else was speaking of was at screename zolaonaol. They use it to gather information about you and can cater marketing to you. It is pretty fun to play with. She learns you and remembers it from session to session.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

And question 3. does ZoneAlarm block all this stuff?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Don't know about zonealarm, but I have adsgone and it is a miracle worker. I get NO pop ups at all unless I want them. It even takes flash ads off of webpages. So there is a blank space where the ad used to be. Pages load a lot faster this way. I'll have to check out this zonelarm as well.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

Don't know about the free-ware version, I am running the PRO one.

Combine that with my router that does IP-mapping and similar functions and I got no problems.
    Witty signature under construction.

If you're chatting or playing a game, there are commands that can be used while you're connected to get information about who's connected at the time. Usually just IP.

if you're interested in this stuff, look at www.grc.com and check out the Shields Up website. There's an online security test there and tons of good info about how this stuff works.

-C

and yea, zonealarm will alert you to that, although if you're playing a game or chatting, you have certain ports open and that traffic and related traffic will usually be seen as harmless and allowed to get through, otherwise you wouldn't be able to play or chat.

www.curious3d.com