Thread: Horses

Smile Horses

Hi my name is Joel I was wondering if the shaolin monks have ever owned horses. I know they used them when they saved the emporers son but the took those hoses.

Shaolin horses?

That's an odd question. I'm not sure. It makes me think of Baimasi (white horse temple) which is near Shaolin and a very significant Buddhist temple indeed. That monk owned a horse, a white horse no less, but some say it was really a dragon I'm sure you know the rest of the story.
    Just goes to show like that old song sung, "If you wanna ride, don't ride the white horse."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Well, buddhist monks don't 'own' anything traditionally speaking. with the exception of the bowl they use to beg and the robes they've been given.

The temple would be the repository of goods and monies and these in turn would be used to further the growth of the temple and the community surrounding it.

So, I would imagine that at times, horses might have been part of the goods of the temple. But that's a maybe.

I'm just guessing though. But in my guessing, I would have to say no, they didn't own horses. there aren't stables or anything indicative to say otherwise.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

possession and Buddhism

There are lists of items that a buddhist monk can own - bowl, robe, walking staff, knife, etc. I remember reading about a common traditional list that had 18 items. Of course, Shaolin monks are an exceptional class and defied many conventions of Buddhism. They owned land, gifted to them by imperial decree. That says little about horses, though. There was an old photo I remember seeing of monks on horseback, but it was a rather obscure photo. My master, Shi Decheng, owned a bicycle, for which he was fairly well known for. Everyone has memories of him riding around on his bike. Now Shaolin monks own schools, cell phones, cars, all sorts of things. But that says even less about horses...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    There are lists of items that a buddhist monk can own - bowl, robe, walking staff, knife, etc. I remember reading about a common traditional list that had 18 items. Of course, Shaolin monks are an exceptional class and defied many conventions of Buddhism. They owned land, gifted to them by imperial decree. That says little about horses, though. There was an old photo I remember seeing of monks on horseback, but it was a rather obscure photo. My master, Shi Decheng, owned a bicycle, for which he was fairly well known for. Everyone has memories of him riding around on his bike. Now Shaolin monks own schools, cell phones, cars, all sorts of things. But that says even less about horses...

Gene, when did shaolin deviate from the original way of life?

when did shaolin deviate from the original way of life?

Probably when Bodhidharma came...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

could be said that is not true, shaolin was not shaolin (in name and now as spirit) beofore the bodhidharma.

hello i am new here, i would like to express my thankfulness for your magazine and am very honoured to see that Mr GeneChing is here to talk to us.

But there was a point when shaolin was traditional and when it became modern.

pre shaolin temple movie... it did many things, both good and bad...

I'm serious about Bodhidharma

Read Bodhidharma. His teachings defy orthodox tradition. If Shaolin has a tradition, it's a tradition of being non-traditional. Most of what people call 'tradition' in the martial arts today is simply old, obsolete and in the way. Martial arts must be vital to be meaningful. The 'tradition' must be vital too. Tradition just means the passing down of culture. You can still pass down Shaolin culture and own a cell phone or a bicycle. In fact, nowadays, it's almost impossible to pass down culture at Shaolin with out such things. It's part of the sangha so to transmit the dharma, it must is often brought into play. Shaolin is a medieval tradition and will remain so if we can't adapt to modern times - we must stay relevant in order to continue. Take a look at my article Shaolin Here and Now: Senior Monk Shi Deyang Contemplates the Mystery of Shaolin Zen in our 2005 Shaolin special to understand Shaolin cell phones.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    Read Bodhidharma. His teachings defy orthodox tradition. If Shaolin has a tradition, it's a tradition of being non-traditional. Most of what people call 'tradition' in the martial arts today is simply old, obsolete and in the way. Martial arts must be vital to be meaningful. The 'tradition' must be vital too. Tradition just means the passing down of culture. You can still pass down Shaolin culture and own a cell phone or a bicycle. In fact, nowadays, it's almost impossible to pass down culture at Shaolin with out such things. It's part of the sangha so to transmit the dharma, it must is often brought into play. Shaolin is a medieval tradition and will remain so if we can't adapt to modern times - we must stay relevant in order to continue. Take a look at my article Shaolin Here and Now: Senior Monk Shi Deyang Contemplates the Mystery of Shaolin Zen in our 2005 Shaolin special to understand Shaolin cell phones.
    Wow, great post. Too many people get caught up in the word "tradition".
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

yeah it should be called original instead of traditional