Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Wing Chun: What is it to You?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    People who pull others hair are not necessarily "unskilled morons." However, if our disagreement is valid evidence, the jury is still out whether such "attitude training" you embody in what you describe as "dirty tactics" is an effective method of cultivating such attributes deemed necessary for a practitioner. Any disdain you may have read in my previous post was directed at the "who cares?" comment, which was not written by you, and his "EXACTLY!!" groupie.[/size]
    Haha, hey that was me! If you take a look back to page two Tom, you will notice the 'disdain' was shown in the 4-5 posts before I chimed in.

And I'm glad that I have reached Rock Star status around here. Now if only my "groupies" were women

Quote Originally Posted by Spark
    Haha, hey that was me! If you take a look back to page two Tom, you will notice the 'disdain' was shown in the 4-5 posts before I chimed in.

And I'm glad that I have reached Rock Star status around here. Now if only my "groupies" were women

Don't spark me, Mr. Spark. You will lose. I cheat, and it won't be via the junior high method of hair-pulling and tattling to the principal.

Spriited exchange and strong disagreements in a public forum can be confused with disdain, especially to those who do not have enough experience with one another or are disinterested onlookers to the conversation, or assume such posting is about ego. But if you re-read Dave's posts before my reply to "who cares?", his posts do not read to me as if he mistook what I was saying as such until I responded to a flippant remark which he did not make.

And, thank you for pointing out my misuse of a word. Lackey, stooge, bootlicker, flunky, or the newfangled internet term "nutrider" are more apt descriptions.

Game on, dudes! Get out your flamethrower and troll doll.

Last edited by Tom Kagan; 08-25-2005 at 10:12 AM.
    When you control the hands and feet, there are no secrets.
    http://www.Moyyat.com

hhmmm...

What does Wing Chun mean to me... If I was in school I'd have to make an essay out of this. Let me take a crack at this.

First of all from a quasi historical perspective Wing Chun to me is a melting pot of southern styles brought into a nifty compact little system. Now from a general point of view it is just a style in which, with diligent practice, gives one very good and usefull skills for self defence. The system, as with many martial art systems, offer good health benefits also. I actually like some of the principles such as 'economy of motion', to name just one. Within this one principle one can gain speed and speed is one of the components in generating power. Tell me who doesn't wan't a little power!

I can go on and on about the attributes one gains or, like me, am now re-discovering within the art. It is a well rounded style that I really like and hopefully will like to master someday. But like the saying goes...we are all eternal students. Wing Chun has so much to offer that one never gets to the bottom of it.

Just an opinion.
    It is amazing for me to understand that "unexplainable" no longer has to mean "nonexistent". pp172
    Grave's End: A True Ghost Story by Elaine Mercado, R.N.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Don't spark me, Mr. Spark. You will lose. I cheat, and it won't be via the junior high method of hair-pulling and tattling to the principal.

Spriited exchange and strong disagreements in a public forum can be confused with disdain, especially to those who do not have enough experience with one another or are disinterested onlookers to the conversation, or assume such posting is about ego. But if you re-read Dave's posts before my reply to "who cares?", his posts do not read to me as if he mistook what I was saying as such until I responded to a flippant remark which he did not make.

And, thank you for pointing out my misuse of a word. Lackey, stooge, bootlicker, flunky, or the newfangled internet term "nutrider" are more apt descriptions.

Game on, dudes! Get out your flamethrower and troll doll.

Ooohhh Mr. Kagan, so much "attitude"!

I can let Dave (if he chooses to) say his piece on this, but from an INTERESTED onlooker, who has read the thread more than once, it seemed pretty clear that no explanation about the use of said technique would satisfy you and the phrase "what's eating you" was not a comment on your one post but to all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark
    Ooohhh Mr. Kagan, so much "attitude"!

I can let Dave (if he chooses to) say his piece on this, but from an INTERESTED onlooker, who has read the thread more than once, it seemed pretty clear that no explanation about the use of said technique would satisfy you and the phrase "what's eating you" was not a comment on your one post but to all of them.
    Perhaps it is true that "no explanation about the use of said technique" would be sufficient to convince me. That's not disdain, though. Disdain is to regard what Dave wrote with haughty contempt.

Specifically, the word I used before which could most be construed as such disdain was "nonsense." Nonsense means it is of little or no importance or usefulness. That is my opinion on the subject. The risk of someone construing disdain from the connotations of the words I used to express and press Dave further on the disagreement we have is quite clear to me as it is to you. This is why I tried to make it clear from the start this was not my intention when addressing him by being up front I would have "to disagree with you as strongly as I can while still trying to be respectful." (If you think I did a poor job of that, then Mea Culpa.)

But, I feel it is clear it my response to you - with its similar theme, example, and with real intended disdain but was directed towards your dance back and forth of method vs. result - was what retroactively caused my own inadvertent fault of changing the tone read in my previous posts to this one.

If Dave felt I had disdain towards his words, then I apologize to Dave. I also apologize to you for losing my patience. I won't apologize for the words, though. I doubt you'd accept it as genuine, anyway.

Now, if you'll excuse the choice of wording, this tangent is nonsense (no disdain intended). If you wish to continue to discuss our playful show of mock contempt for one another, I will be more than happy to enjoy our trollfest privately.

However, if you'd prefer to get back to the topic, then please answer my question to you: "Why train to hit like a hammer when you can just carry one and hit with a hammer after two or three practice swings?" What's all this training mean to you, Mr. Spark?

(Hmm ... I don't think I resorted to cheating in responding. How's that for control? )
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 08-25-2005 at 12:10 PM.
    When you control the hands and feet, there are no secrets.
    http://www.Moyyat.com

Quote Originally Posted by DRleungjan
    principles such as 'economy of motion', to name just one. Within this one principle one can gain speed and speed is one of the components in generating power. Tell me who doesn't wan't a little power!
    Dr. Leung,

please remember the difference between how fast something is traveling vs how fast something arrives at it's destination.

A car traveling 50 mph, but taking a scenic route, may arrive later at a particular destination than a car traveling 30 mph that happens to be taking a shortcut........ -However, which would you rather have slam into you as you're backing out of a driveway?

Economy of motion is important, but so is natural speed, and natural speed is what adds to power.......

-Lawrence
    I don't think Wing Chun is so limited that I can't do it when I wrestle, box, kickbox, or fight by MMA rules, nor am I so limited a student that I can't improve by training in each of those forums. -Andrew S

A good instructor encourages his students to question things, think for themselves and determine their own solutions to problems. They give advice, rather than acting as a vehicle for the transmission of dogma.
    -Andrew Nerlich

Hey Lawrence,

Dr. Leung

please remember the difference between how fast something is traveling vs how fast something arrives at it's destination

A car traveling 50 mph, but taking a scenic route, may arrive later at a particular destination than a car traveling 30 mph that happens to be taking a shortcut........ -However, which would you rather have slam into you as you're backing out of a driveway?

Economy of motion is important, but so is natural speed, and natural speed is what adds to power.......
    Oh yes...point well taken...I was being very brief in my assessment...thanks for the clarification. On the other hand, one has to enhance one's natural speed somehow...ergo Wing Chun's (in this case) principles and concepts.
    Last edited by DRleungjan; 08-25-2005 at 02:47 PM.
    It is amazing for me to understand that "unexplainable" no longer has to mean "nonexistent". pp172
    Grave's End: A True Ghost Story by Elaine Mercado, R.N.

Quote Originally Posted by DRleungjan
    Hey Lawrence,
    Oh yes...point well taken...I was being very brief in my assessment...thanks for the clarification. On the other hand, one has to enhance one's natural speed somehow...ergo Wing Chun's (in this case) principles and concepts.
    A combination of both is most effective, IMO.

-Lawrence
    I don't think Wing Chun is so limited that I can't do it when I wrestle, box, kickbox, or fight by MMA rules, nor am I so limited a student that I can't improve by training in each of those forums. -Andrew S

A good instructor encourages his students to question things, think for themselves and determine their own solutions to problems. They give advice, rather than acting as a vehicle for the transmission of dogma.
    -Andrew Nerlich