Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bak Mo Kuen?

Blog Entries

Bak Mo Kuen?

Bak Mo Kuen........

there must be different versions in each branch or is it just a chan family set?

Lee Koon Hung's lineage has theirs, but i have a video of Chan Kin Man's daughter Chan Yuk Jan performing bak mo kuen and it looks totally different in every way.

so what do you think?

hsk

I agree, I have seen a clip of the Chan familys version, and compared to my lineages version, it is totally different. The same can be said for Siu Moi Fa Kuen again very different to Chan and Lee Koon Hung versions.

Chaz
    A wise man knows, that to know is to know that to know is not to know

Thumbs up Clf

It seems like every CLF version is different. I spoke to Doc Fei Wong not to long ago, and he had mentioned that he attended a CLF banquet/celebration in China, where people demonstrated forms. He said he saw like 20 versions of Ping Kuyhnn! Fact is, if it's got So, Deng, Gwa, Kahp, Chaap, Jung, Pao, etc., it's CLF. But everyone's version seems to be different, and that's okay!

I have seen similarities to our branch in everyone's so far. But our content is a bit more extreme. I have seen DFW's stuff and the content is good, Lee Kwoon Hungs school seems to have better play then DFW's but I think DFW's has better content. Our style has a larger sphere of influence and encoupasses a variety of branches and lineages. I have lot's of stuff in my CLF that I have yet to see other CLF people do.

ya, i recently learned bak mo kuen, and its a pretty kool form! i think there is a difference between the chan family and lee koon hungs version...i guess as long as the technique is similar its the same form...

my form is similar to this one (the second last clip), although i do my techniques a bit different, the form is pretty much the same:

http://www.choyleefut.com.au/update/gallery.asp

its weird...mak hin fai's school from seattle (student of lee koon hung) came up to vancouver for a demo, and i saw them do 'sup zi kao da', and it was pretty much the same form i know.

Are any of these 'bak mo kuen' videos/clips online? i would like to compare it to the form i learned...

i dont know if u guys have this in your ping kuen, but i think steps/path/footwork in ping kuen is suppose spell out the chinese character "ping". see if u guys notice it, the character looks like this '平'

btw, who is Chan Kin Man and Chan Yuk Jan???
    Last edited by ()xx{}::::::::>; 08-12-2005 at 10:46 AM.

Bak Mo Kuen,

It seems many schools share the crossed stance and "Buy Fut" pose in this form... This is the longest set in our lineage, lots of turns, jumps and angle changes...

Doc Fai Wong,

I have seen several sets of theirs by his students and some of his videos... I would definitely say there content is not better, the same stuff but expressed differently... Problem is Lee Koon Hung only taught for 3 short years in the USA, so those who learned under him in that period learned their sets fast as he was trying to build up his school.

I have seen some of Doc Fai's advanced sets... they are the same as our intermediate sets, with the same techniques... CLF seems to just make more forms with the same techniques in a different pattern and think its new... haha

Everyone will think their CLF is more EXTREME then the next...

Joe

Blog Entries
    Here's a version. of Bak Mo Kuen, that I assume came form LKH...its performed by Corey Engelhard who is an instructor for John Wai.

http://www.floridakungfu.com/coreywm.wmv

what is the story or influence behind the name of the set?

Fu Pow,

That Bak Mo Kuen is from Wong Gong's branch (Chan Family)

John Wai currently studies with Wong Gong...

Joe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sow Choy
    Fu Pow,

Joe
    Ah so.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sow Choy
    Fu Pow,

Joe

Which branch is the Ching Loong Gim performed by Francine Wai?

Ching Loong Gim,

I believe this is from Wong Gong as well...

In the LKH branch we have Loong Hang Geem

Joe

Thumbs up Clf

The challenge with CLF in this country, is that there are not too many lines/lineages. For the most part, the CLF teachers who have promoted their lines are Doc Fei Wong, Lee Gwoon Hung and the Lacey brothers. As I mentioned before, all CLF must have certain "Kuyhnn Jung" or "Fist Seeds." But there are a lot of other versions/lines of the style out there than people think.

It is kind of like a similiar situation as wing chun. Most people in this country come from the Yip Man line. Back in Fut San, Gwandong (Canton) people do a whole lot of other stuff in the Wing Chun.

This is why it is good to network and train with other Sifu and students from different branches. Techniques also seem to deteriate with time. Some students focus more on tournaments and less on practical application. As a result, sometimes the moves/techniques - change. For example, some CLF styles put there knee on the ground with the inside of their foot flat during a kneeling stance. Some styles of CLF would never put thier knee on the ground like that. Some styles do "deng jeung" "pressing palm" at a downward angle while some CLF school shoot out the arm parrallel to the floor.

What I'm getting at is; the differences in styles aren't just a matter of 'who taught who.' Some people have gotten it, some people haven't. Some students learned a little bit from their Sifu, they might not have been very athletic or skilled and then they teach. then they pass it on to the next generation and they pass it on as well. But 'water only rises as high as the source.' I have seen some technques that barely resemble what they once were. I learned CLF from the late Grandmaster Chan Tai-San. I am his senior disciple in CLF. I have practiced the style for 20 years and he had practiced it over 75 years. I had the opportunity to study from someone who learned the style before it got condensed, before forms got changed, before all the politics and before commercial schools became popular.

There are moves that I believe are lost to most branches of CLF as well as forms. I think that there is a lot more to CLF than most schools know right now. Dedicated CLF students should investigate this further.....

I will post some videos in the next week of some of out CLF sets. I will also post some apps as well. If anyone wants to do the same, I think it's a good idea. I will also show/discuss some of the advance stuff that we do, again, I emplore people to do the same. This way CLF grows and becomes even stronger!

No need for anyone to feel offended by my post, I know there are some sensitive people out there! I think all the schools or lineages/Sifus I mentioned are great! I am not trying to take anything away from anyone. Just making some observations and sharing some thoughts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu

I will post some videos in the next week of some of out CLF sets. I will also post some apps as well. If anyone wants to do the same, I think it's a good idea. I will also show/discuss some of the advance stuff that we do, again, I emplore people to do the same. This way CLF grows and becomes even stronger!

That would be great. I'm very curious to see this "Green Cloud" CLF. What I neat time period we live in that we can instantly share videos over such a long distance and compare!

BTW, I now have the capability to convert some of my own videos to .wmv or real player files. Would anyone be willing to host some videos of myself, fellow students and Mak Sifu?

Thanks

NO Green Cloud CLF

Actually, people have been calling it Green Cloud CLF for years. I am in a IKF aticle where we explained aspects of our unique line. We named if after the monestary where my teacher was raised and where it was taught. But I recently found out that we misread a character almost 20 years ago! It is not GREEN, but the CLEAR CLOUD MONESTARY. No Green Cloud.....Boy, did I feel stupid when I found this out! lol Good thing I didn't name my school after it!

If you look on my website, you'll get some info:

http://www.nykungfu.com/school/GrandmasterChanTai-San.asp

For the most part it appears to be Chan Koon Pak's hung sing mixed with lama influences.

Can't say I have seen anyone do lok gwai ma with their knee actually on the ground (expect for beginners who have no leg strength ).

Your point about thepalming could be simply the difference between cum (cover) jeurng and deng (nail) jeurng. But your right many techniques vary slightly from sifu to sifu.
    Last edited by CLFNole; 08-12-2005 at 05:19 PM.