Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samurai champloo

Samurai champloo

So what does everybody think of this anime? i've been watching it for a while, i plan on going down to chinatown(rhyme not intended) to pic up as much episodes as they have(i think it's about 54 or something). i think the show is hot but i would love to here some american hip hop on the show, like some Wu-Tang or some beats by lil-jon. that would be some hot ****. well just wanna know what everyone thinks so speak on it.

Love it.

The show got canceled on public tv in Japan but picked up again for cable so there should be a new season available soon.

Rza...yes

Lil' John....NO! NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!

The scoring is good enough as is. I'd same it's **** near flawless.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

have to agree on lil john. who decided some screaming pop nerd can be hip hop? oh right, mtv..

for shamploo, I've only seen the first couple episodes. It's ok, definatly not bad. feels a bit plastic at times though. lot of surface no deep. maybe I'll get in to it after some more episodes.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

hot beats

i don't mean lil' jon in the sence of having him scream "okay, yeah, and What" al over the place but come on guys his beats are hot. or what about scott storch or mike shroder(i think that thats how you spell it) from linkin park. maybe even some neptunes(but they'll propably have to pay 2million a beat like nas did), i feel like taking an episode and rescoring it just to see how it would sound. you know what i'm going to do that, i have some stuff to edit now but when i'm finished i'm going to rescore an episode and post it see what you guys think.

make no mistake. if it's heavy I'll dance to it. just not something I'd listen to otherwise. that editing sounds fun. cool idea.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Samurai Champloo rocks. I watched all the episodes, i think it's 26 or so and have them around here somewhere. It comes on Cartoon Network on Saturday night I believe.
    Amithaba

All those cats suck the big one.

As resident producer and Hip Hop head extrodinaire, all I can say is NO...NO...NO!!! Those beats are so lackluster. I'd post the song we made making fun of Lil' John and his production skills. We made the beat in 15min and people love it...it's GARBAGE!!!

Adult Swim is already laced with beats from some of the best producers the underground has to offer. Fukkin' 'Ell, Madlib has a few joints on AS. I think they should stick with the tradition of underground artist as oppossed to playing lackluster beats just because club-goers want to be able to go, "I could dance to this if this wasn't a cartoon."

And NO his beats are not hot, and NO neither are Scott Storch. Do yourself a favor and research some underground artist/producers. You'll thank me and apologize for ever making such asinine comments.

Study Guide:
    -Aesop Rock's "Float" produced by Blockhead (www.ninjatune.net in the videos section)
    -Cannibal Ox's "Cold Vein" produced by El-P
    -Quasimoto's "Further Adventures of Lord Quas" produced by Madlib
    -Solesides Greatest Bumps produced by DJ Shadow and Chief Xcel
    -Blackalicious' "Blazing Arrow" produced by Chief Xcel
    -Company Flow's "Funcrusher Plus" produced by El-P and Mr. Len
    -Lyrics Born "Later That Day" with production by Chief Xcel and DJ Shadow
    -One Self "Children of Possibility" Produced by DJ Vadim
    -Atmosphere "Overcast" produced by Ant
    -Jurassic 5 "Power in Numbers" produced by Cut Chemist and Nu-Mark
    -Dilated Peoples "The Platform" produced by The Alchemist
    -Kool Keith's "A better tomorrow" produced by Dan The Automator
    -The Root's "Things Fall Apart" produced by ?uestlove

lemme know if you need more...
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

it's all a matter of opinion!

most of those artist you listed i've heard of and heard there stuff. just because there underground doesn't make them good, am i a fan of lil jon no i'm not. have i heard beats from him that i like yes i have. i'm really not going to get into a debate on the production skills of a man i personally am not a fan of. with some small exception(mike jones, young buck, and young jeezy to a small extent) i'm really not a fan of southern rap at all(i say rap because hip hop is the culture not the music, media constantly blurs that line) i'm from the bronx the birth place of hip hop and rap music, so i know the defference between good rap music and bad rap music For example Slick rick laddi daddi good rap music, ying yang twins whisper song bad hip hop. i used slick rick because we just had a free concert out here in the boogie down with slick rick and doug E. Fresh, they shut it down, it was fantastic, Doug E Fresh had everyone singing the theme song from cheers(imagine a hole bunch of blacks and latino's singing the theme song from cheers it was crazy) before they cam on there was this rapper Named jay millz, i put him in the same catagory as Jin(that chinese rapper who had like 1 minute of fame) great freestyler, bad song writer. lets just say the crowd wasn't pleased with him. anyway i rampled a little sorry but i really don't like when people assume someone doesn't know something sorry about that. later

You may be versed on the culture, but you may be lacking on the art of production. You may be Kool Herc himself for all I know, but the fact still stands.

Yes, it is all a matter of opinion and all the explaining I do may not sway what you're taste find pleasing. However, allow to explain what people (not saying you, general people) are saying to us hardworking producers/engineers when they put people like Dr.Dre, Lil' John, and Scott Storch on a pedastool. It's a slap in our face... let me tell you why:

The beats they produce require little to no talent. I've made beats and tracked vocals of the same caliber as Lil' John...and it's a very easy task. We made the beat in 15 minutes. We got the vocals tracked in 2 hours. We'll have the mixing and mastering done in 2 hours tonight. Songs that are, dare I say, more meaningful to the artist take days, months, even years to complete. I'm not one for talk so I will post this song.

When people like little Lil' John are make such ludacris bank off of crap, it really sets us hardworking musicians back. And I know I WILL catch flak for this, but I'd say that Scott Storch is a better producer than Dr.Dre. At least he makes his own 5hit. Dre just buys oldschool tracks and samples the hell out of them with little to no alteration to the original beat or uses his wallet to purchase beats from small time producers to claim as his own.

Listen to an album by Tre Hardson formally of the Pharcyde and listen to the quality of the beats compared to Lil' John. I guarantee that the difference is noticable.

Producer is a term that seems to be tied with only Hip Hop these days. Dre looks like child's play when compared Leo Chess, Phil Specter, and Andrew Loog Oldham. And his sampling skills (his "strong point") is non-existant when put up there with John Cage's analog sample creations.

I'm not ripping into you, Doug. I'm just trying to clear up any illusions.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

no choice but to agree

your right about many of the points you made. and i know for a fact how simple it is to make those simple beats, i am a film maker, and some times i score my own music. i grew up around music, my grand father was a guitar player(he never made cause he stoped to have a family) and a piano player. i've always had an ear for sound, do i like most of those hip hop beats no because there just abunch of jumbled sounds over a simple beat that most people can make with there mouths. most so called producers don't even understand composition. but my point i was making with th lil'jon thing was that he has a good beat or two, that would go good with the anime. not that he's good or anything of the such. hope that cleared some stuff up. on another note you sound very informative on music and producing i would love to here some of your stuff. maybe you can score a film for me!

We'll agree to disagree on the Lil' John in Samurai Champloo thing. I feel that maybe a DJ Krush beat or a Grouch song would be more at home there.

I got a link to a bunch of my old sh!t. I'm in the process of making an album, so there will be leaks, just not yet. The ORAist know of my works and support me quite nicely. I think that they are the reason I have the guff to put my 5hit up on the net.

www.soundclick.com/sifubeats
    enjoi
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

word

havn't checked Caps site for a while but here are some I enjoy and think doug and anyone else should check out:

Om
    The Tonight Show (pimp theme)
    Hell Realm

"It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    most of those artist you listed i've heard of and heard there stuff. just because there underground doesn't make them good, am i a fan of lil jon no i'm not. have i heard beats from him that i like yes i have. i'm really not going to get into a debate on the production skills of a man i personally am not a fan of. with some small exception(mike jones, young buck, and young jeezy to a small extent) i'm really not a fan of southern rap at all(i say rap because hip hop is the culture not the music, media constantly blurs that line) i'm from the bronx the birth place of hip hop and rap music, so i know the defference between good rap music and bad rap music For example Slick rick laddi daddi good rap music, ying yang twins whisper song bad hip hop. i used slick rick because we just had a free concert out here in the boogie down with slick rick and doug E. Fresh, they shut it down, it was fantastic, Doug E Fresh had everyone singing the theme song from cheers(imagine a hole bunch of blacks and latino's singing the theme song from cheers it was crazy) before they cam on there was this rapper Named jay millz, i put him in the same catagory as Jin(that chinese rapper who had like 1 minute of fame) great freestyler, bad song writer. lets just say the crowd wasn't pleased with him. anyway i rampled a little sorry but i really don't like when people assume someone doesn't know something sorry about that. later
    Man, I haven't listened to Slick Rick in ages.... I was just a little guy when he was doing his thing.

I prefer rap from those days though. Seriously, Wu Tang's about where I stop with rap.