Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I used BJJ in a multiple attacker confrontation this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown
    Hi Judge Pen

Please take a few moments to re-read my previous posts. I mention nothing but respect and compliments for the way 7 handled the situation!

My criticism is not intended to derogate! I have repeatedly made that clear! I suggest learning from the situation in order to discover possible alternatives to the course of action taken that created this debacle. 7 did what he should have and the only thing he could have, he backed up his partners. Kudos to him for that.

As to the platitude: "Carried by 6 or judged by 12" it implies only two options. Kill, or be killed. This is clearly foolsih and unrealistic! The two choices only exist in extreme circumstances and they are rarely encountered. To teach someone they only have two options to resolve a situation is simplistic and irresponsible.
    Hence my point of prioritizing the weighing of values. 6 v. 12 is the last resort, the options you have when all diplomacy and alternatives have been exhausted. Fortunately, they are rarely encountered. I have only uncounted a situation once in my life (but, then again, I've never bounced at a Memphis bar).

And I understand that you weren't criticizing 7* per se. I'm just giving him the benefit that he probably exhausted all other alternatives before the encounter turned into a physical altercation. I think every rationale human being and martial artist will agree that entering into a physical altercation is the last resort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Hi JudgePen,

I agree with you then!

Keep in mind that wise and successful authority figures always debrief to determine what if anything can be done to improve performance and reduce the need for physical force. It is likely nothing else could have been done under these circumstances. However, that does not mean there should be no critical evaluation!

Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Darkfist
    so you want to ban him EH?
    fact
    the first target usually has a backup contingency and the bj people cant deal with this concept.
    It is absolutely imperative that you drop perps on contact ( or else why did they invent the 45?). So by hand your connection should remain soft target in order to ensure that god forbid you encounter one real 10 percenter. You see i tell all my students the same, (and most can understand ... but most do not realize) that your life can end quick in any confrontation ANY CONFRONTATION>>> ANY CONFRONTATION, SOOOO if i was in the UFC i would use GUNG FU MIXED WITH BJJ but on the streets i am using common sense and it just so happens that a good regiment of Tang Lang Quan and a good sense of realism from exp or a sifu that has exp and is not afraid to share ( my master was wonderfully generous and still is ( thank you Wu tang)
    we deal with that concept just fine... CMA guys just like to assume that we don't. If yuo attend a bjj self defense class, you'll see that much of what you cover will indeed be standup grappling. Ideally I want to throw you and keep going, or hold you between myself and another attacker. But, we are dealing with the real world here, and everything isn't always as simple as we'd like.

1. you may end up on the ground.
    2. there are situations where it is preferable to be on the ground.

ban him from what? the club? Nah, he can come back. We don't operate that way. When people get drunk, they can get crazy... they may not be like that the next night when they are sober or have drank less.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter
    Uh, that would be a business license. Just as the corner hardware store is required to have a business license.
    you are correct it was for a business license,

But Its licensed through the police department which comes up on my Info, and it was mandatory for the approval of the Business License.

so unlike a business license it still makes me more liable for my actions in a confrontation, unlike people that don't, are of high skill, and can simply say I dont
    know jack.

the guy at the hardware store didn't have to get licensed at the police department!

so either way I got Branded!

Seven,
    My experience has been;

a.) You will always f@ck up in some way

b.) How well you recover, and make it look like 'you meant to do that' or ultimately survive is the measure of your true skill.

Good job, but next time DO NOT GO TO FOR A SUBMISSION ON THE GROUND IN AN OPEN ENVIRONMENT!!!!

You were very lucky, my friend.

Besides you coulda knocked his @ss out.. what are messing around for?
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

yeah, thunderlegs, why didn't you just give him a leg kick and watch him squirm on the ground in agony?
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

That definitely woulda been more fun. And I guess technically, if I KO him and he's immobile, he is restrained, right?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Thumbs down FLJCK you b!tch

sevenstar you FLJCKing gay ass inbred mother FLJCKIN baboon. you say I am wrong NO you are wrong you nogood ***it
    Last edited by LORD MATTHEW; 08-24-2005 at 02:22 AM.

you must be one of the guys we clobbered that night. Ah well, welcome to the land of bannination...

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

I don't bounce but my roomate does, and several of my friends do. I have worked security for events when bars and stuff need extra staffing for that night. I usually for some reason get stuck around the money. you know the guy at the door that takes the cover charge. Maybe its because I seem so trustworthy, who knows?

Anyways, about 1 month ago was my little brother's 22nd birthday. So, he wanted to go out and drink, and I did. We went to two or three bars (memory is kinda fuzzy, and I'm Irish so there was lots of drinking) over the night. I remember carrying him to the last bar pretty much. He had his arm around my shoulders and kept swaying around so I would just pick him up by the waist and carry him up stairs and stuff. I mean it was his birthday so he deserves to get plastered. So, we walk up to the bar and all of the sudden this guy just taps me on the shoulder when I am ordering our beers and shots. I turn around to see this guy who was about 6'4" and about 1 and 1/2 times as wide as I am. I mean he was pretty big compared to me, but he was kinda chubby though, not built. He says I spilled his drink, and I look at his beer and its a bit over half full. I responded it did not look spilled. He claims we bumped him, and I responded that its near last call in a crowded bar, so he should expect to get bumped when people walk around.

Now this is the part that most of my friends disagree with. I turn my back to the guy and do my shot and start to drink my beer he taps me on the shoulder again, this time my little bro is ordering us some shots. He tries to like mean mug me or something and gives me what I guess is an evil stare. He asks me once more for a beer, and this time I am starting to get ****ed and the whisky starts talking. I look him right in the eye and tell him I am not buying him shiat so fock off! I turn around and slam my other shot. See the thing is I still had this beer in my hand, and there was a mirror at the bar, so when I turned around and had my back to him, I could still see him.

I get tapped on the shoulder again and by now I am almost about to get fired up. He says well at least I admire your bravery and he walked off. I am still not sure exactly what he meant but I guess he was used to using his size to bully people for stuff and I wasn't gonna put up with it so the second I confronted him back he got all scared and didn't know what to do. I think you can win fights with out fighting.

The whole time i was calm and relaxed until he kept bugging me and I had to get in his face just a bit to get him off my back.

But in 7*'s defense I have not been on a one on one fight in years. Every real fight I have gotten into has always involved multiple Vs Multiple.
    http://www.wingchunusa.com

Sao gerk seung siu, mo jit jiu - Hands and feet defend accordingly, there are no secret or unstoppable maneuvers.
    -Yip Man