Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bak Mei Breathing?

Hi Yam cha,

My belief is that one uses either "tun" or "to" with a technique. Nothing in between or different. Or like FT wrote :

Begin of FT quote
    "As for teh natural way yes you can do that but you will lose the Bak Mei body and power generation...Due the explosive breathing and body connecting. Is you do it just relaxed and no snapping or jerking then yeah go ahead but you will not have the bak mei geng jak ging." End of FT quote

I never breathe in while using power. I either breathe out or what kung fu fighter calls "create compression like inflating a balloon". To or tun, one of these 2 every technique. Let me PM you an example later today to explain my thoughts further.

Regards, Lau

Excellent thread,

IMHO, when using Bak Mei ways of FCTT, if you bridge and have an opening to rip your opponent's shoulder out of socket, breathe in. If you are smashing and bashing, breathe out. If you are using Bak Mei principles, breathing in while punching isn't very powerful. Likewise, breathing out while pulling/ ripping isn't very powerful; however, it's more powerful than breathing in while punching.

Again, IMO, I don't think that reverse breathing has much use for fighting. In the past, reverse breathing was mainly for healing and qi gong, and had little to do with fighting. Over time, masters blended it with their external forms, and came up with a little of this and that. BUT, how much sense does it make to breathe in while punching? How much sense does it make to breathe out while pulling? Off topic but on topic, do a sit up. Is it "more natural" to breathe in or out while sitting up? Of course, breathing out. Unless you are wanting to chisel your abs or some such, why do it backwards.

Back to topic, why not just breathe naturally while fighting? Pulling FCTT apart is troublesome, and somewhat incorrect because once pulled apart it doesn't translate to fighting very well. Jik Bo is basically constructed so that Fou is breathe in, Chum is breathe out, Tung is breathe in, Tou is breathe out. BUT, they all work together simultaneously? What? That isn't very natural. It all goes back to the old question, can you have "iron body" while breathing in? If you can't, then you better go back to the drawing board because you can't always breathe out while attacking.

tao

Why cant it be cotton stomach breathing in and irn body on the way out?

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh bingo ahhhhh

uuuuuuuuuuuuuh,

Ah Mei To Fa, is all I have to say to that.

:)

I say dil la gwai lo, and have a nice day!!:P

Smile missed you girls.lol

why not cotton belly iron body?

answer: because of shoalin oriented tao.ttfc is for beginers and still quite hard for them to grasp.

i can remember yums breathing was one in, two out,in a simplar way for me to understand,great power yes but also great flaw too.
    f.t's however is all rounded for protection alot or the same as dak mors breathing methods.however the true pak mei tao broke the cotton belly and the iron body with something call ging as you girls know.

yum verses ft,yes if his ging was true then the cotton belly and the iron body would return to mass + water.

now the great flaw as i mentioned or dare i say,is for me.................

your loving brother sui

LOL Sui, the tea party is over here!

LOVES rears its UGLY head, hey bro wassup?

Funny thing about theories when the sh!t hits the fan, they dont know what they are doing with breathing during a real fight. So why train something that doesnt happen when the sh!t hits the fan?

I agree that natural is far better, anyway for me but i dont practise Bak Mei hand forms anymore, i do only internal kung fu and meditation. My breathing and FCTT is not like many because its natural to do and it happens naturally withoiut force. But forms of BAK MEI use that theory in the beginning, in the middle and in the end. Some can move fast and dont rise and fall so much and some dont swallow and spit so much, if you tighting these circles you can move quicker and faster and use a more natural breath. But that is not reverse breathing, maybe reserve breathing yummy is talking about?

I have macdonalds belly no one can penetrate it due to its preserved insides...muhahahahah, Muhahah, MUHAHAHAHAH

FT

Thumbs up

Hi Guys,

I think to some extent, we all find ways to firstly discover our faults, then to overcome them. I can remember my problems earlier on, 1) My opponents were always dancing just out of reach, and I had to chase them down. 2) I hesitated in following through with the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc attacks.

I'm a bigger guy than many, power development came early on, and after a point, there was ample power to do the job, and often led to overcommittment, which adversely effected the ability to follow through with the combinations.

I found that breathing and stance solved all these issues, core fundamentals.

Hi Sui, are you getting old yet?
    Last edited by Yum Cha; 08-24-2005 at 06:46 PM.

f.t,yes far better however must train ttfc to tighten and then it becomes natural,so that it doesn't become consious in a real fight.i still believe that pak mei breathing is more all rounded than any other style(girly w/c etc) for fighting.and also agree that you must go on to internal kf and meds as you for an old balding guy.lol
    reverse breathing could be two in one out wich also has a huge flaw but even more powerful than one in two out but developes into a chen style or hsing yi internal.was this what yums did?

hi yum,yes getting older and mellower but still not composed as i'd like to be,fustration still gets me much.i believe in letting go than to overcome helps me better.(and staying out of arguments) but still haven't perfected yet.
    yeah i can see what you mean breathing and stance as my uncle was is a big guy and his benn fa is extra ordinary too.but the problem is that you and he is limited as can't attack,maybe that is the true kf way but where is your darkness it must be difficult for you to realise as your ego does not surface(which is a bad thing not reconising it).

Yeah, its all up to you, if it works then use it, you know?! I dont really care much about the external hand forms these days ive moved onto better things IMHO, im more healthier now then 5 years ago with 6 months of doing Chi Kung (Yau Kung).

Anyway nice to see us all back on the **** foeroom...

Sui, whats your focus on these days mate?

FT

yes focus?the main is to let go of that thing called want.to flow through life till my death and knowing whats true within the moment.if i can acomplish this till i stop breathing,lol then i would be happy i think.there is nothing in my way as before and the 4 noble truths that i feel are not such as an illusion,but never the less are!
    i hope after death there is another adventure for me,and when you die i hope we can all get together and have a great laugh at our egos.lol

i'm glad f.t that you have moved on,the transition is always a good thing,but sometimes i think,god wouldn't it be great to be a begginer again and struggle through it all,what a laugh.

so begginers try not to look at breathing as a seperate entity it will sort itself out within your training,do what you feel maximises your energy,because when you stop, hopfully you laugh like the sound of a five year old.lol

:)

Well said Sui, you are right about what you said. What matters is we get younger as we get older return the beginning.

All the best guys!

FT

Hi Sui,
    Interesting that you call it that, 1 in, 2 out. It makes sense to me. I'm more like 1 in 3 or 4 out, depending on how winded I am. I'm working on 2 in, 3 out. What I don't know yet is if there is a 1 in 1 out potential. I try to get at least three techniques into a breath when practicing combinations.

You sh1t me Sui, everytime I think you are different, I discover you are not. I think you nailed it with my attitude to attack physically and spiritually. It is harder for me to attack than to receive "with a vengence". In the art of war, the defender always has the advantage. The edge comes with the committed attack in defense. Timing, sticking and follow through.

How does that old SPM couplet go? If you don't move, I don't move, if you attack, I arrive first" or something like that?

FT, how much longer to Fatherhood?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by fiercest tiger
    Well said Sui, you are right about what you said. What matters is we get younger as we get older return the beginning.

FT
    Yea, I'm already getting close to being a toothless, bald headed babbling little nappy clad drooler, sh1tting me self and eating mashed veggies...all it takes is one night out on the turps these days, and I swear to God, the next morning.......

Yum Cha

hey, Baby arriving by post hopefully mid January!!

horse is not a T nor a V
    U dont attack i wont defend

FT