Thread: Glucosamine

Blog Entries

Glucosamine

Are there any glucosamine tryers here. if so what is your success story, or even if it doesn't work rather.

i'd like to hear your opinions.

is it worth trying?

frank

I have used this stuff for some time for hip problems and knee pain experienced over the years and it helps. Don't know anyone who has done kung fu for a long time that doesn't have some type of aches and pains.

Get something with glucosamine and chondroitin.
    Last edited by CLFNole; 08-16-2005 at 12:48 PM.

Yeah, when I have a flair up of knee trouble I tend to turn to glucosamine, chondroitin and omega-3.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

glucosamine/chondroitin sulfate

i've been taking glucosamine/chondroitin supplements for the past month or so, as recommended by my acupuncturist who was treating my upper back/shoulder/neck. i've had major knots in that area as well as deep in my collarbone for a while, causing clicking/popping sounds everytime i rotate my shoulders.

i've found the supplements to help, though i have also used a lot of epsom/bath salts in conjunction to reduce swelling and relieve tension, so it's hard to say whether the glucosamine itself have made a drastic difference in isolation. either way, it's helped w/ my range of motion and eased the pain. i would think that has to do with the glucosamine helping to reinforce my cartiledge and the chondroitin's aid in retaining water and improving elasticity.

hope this info helps.

I've gotten positive results from use of it. What you have to keep in mind, however, is that the results are not permanent. Once you discontinue use, previous pains will re-appear.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Blog Entries
    okay, so what i am gathering is that glucosamine and the other is a temporary solution. but actually worth it.

the reason i am asking is that i have found out that i have either very little of no cartilage left under my knee cap. I think the next step is surgery. has anyone been thru what i am going thru?

What helps my movement better is when i wear one of those neoprine sleeves for the knee. it keeps in the heat and to help lubricate the joints. without it after a training session my knee swells up and i can't bend my leg. and man, it is a biatch trying to sleep in any position as well.

anyways, thanks, i think i'll try the stuff.

hsk

I think they are supposed to help to regenerate cartilage but to what degree I am not sure. I know a lot on non-kung fu people that take iot for their knees and they swear by it. Give it a try, what do you have to lose. You could always opt for surgery later.

Peace.

Blog Entries
    thanks, guacamole nole. (it's got a ring to it LOL)

Yeah, i need to try it because although i'm in a lot of pain, i refuse to let it stop me from gung fu practice or even training with my students. yet, afterwards, it's time to ice the knee and pray god helps with the throbbing.

what i've realized is that my knee cap is floating around there when walking and when i wear the neoprine sleeve it helps keep my kneecap in place and reduces the pain greatly.

thanks all.

frank

Some years ago my knee bothered me a lot and I used the same tight rubber sleeve and that helped. After some time I started taking the glucosamine and it really helped. I also started to focus on stretching my hips more and this also alleviated a lot of pain in my knees. It might help you as well. Surgery should be a last resort.

Good luck!!!

Greetings,

Glucosamine and Chondroitin go hand in hand. They were very popular in the early nineties until there was a study that linked the consumption of these products with the development type II diabetes. Yet, people still are taking it and swear by it. I guess it may favor people with active lifestyles. I used to take this when it was first introduced by the company called Body Ammo. Later I switched to MSM and I swear by that. Both products target and repair cartilage and connective tissues. Since your doctor recommended glucosamine, try it. You may want to ask about MSM. It could only help you.

mickey

Been on it for over two years. It works for me where MSM did nothing. On the other hand it does nothing for my wife but when she stops using MSM and her pain comes back.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

BM2,

That is very interesting.

I have found that MSM works best for me when I take about 4000 mg in the evening to allow the repairs to take place while I am sleeping. I feel great when I wake up. Sometimes I do morning and evening dosages. By the way, I never said that glucosamine does not work; I just mentioned the health concerns. I do not know if there were follow up studies.

mickey