Thread: wushu taichi magazine

wushu taichi magazine

so why is this magazine called KUNG FU taichi magazine
    IMHO I think it should be called wushu taichi

of course kung fu is more widely spoken and understood

and even tho kung fu doesnt mean MA in chinese(cantonese or mandarin, I dont remember) it represents the effort needed to master wushu

Karate isnt the japanese name for MA, right
    isnt it opening hands aroe something about the hands

new question-what is the litteral japanese name for Martial art

I have absolutely no idea were Im going with this thread

bujitsu means martial arts in japanese....hehe took some japanese courses back in highschool.....karate means way of the empty hand

Budo might be more accurate

Kung Fu Tai Chi used to be called Kungfu Wushu Qigong, but we dropped the 'wushu' in Feb 2000 and we switched the 'qigong' to 'tai chi' in our Sep Oct 2003. Note that we were originally just Wushu Kungfu (see our first issue) and added the qigong in Winter 95.

As for Budo, we *did* publish a magazine called Budo Dojo from Fall of '93 to Winter of '96.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

why all the name changes

just curious

and thank for the japanese translation, I also took japanese in high shool and ven lived in Okinowa for a few years, but I cant remember anything

the name game

We changed the name of the magazine mostly because the American public wasn't ready to handle a magazine that had three Chinese words in it. Wushu was dropped first, partly due to the fact that nobody outside the CMA circles knew the term (we made some headway with Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, but if you ask the ask the average joe on the street what wushu means, they'll probably answer that it's some kind of pork dish); there is also a stigma to the term wushu amongst those who do know CMA, so we felt that was the most expendable. We change qigong because no one could pronounce it, especially our distributors, which was a big problem, a very big problem. They could all pronounce Tai Chi, and seemed to even have an idea of what it was.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart