Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mighty Morphin Power Ranger news

Hybrid View

Mighty Morphin Power Ranger news

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/arti...00010000000001 saw this on another board. and yes it is the one who kept on going back!
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

This article has been posted in the street fighting forum also. Still waiting for someone to actually know who this guy is and who he played in the show...
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

I got nothing on him at IMDB or at *drum roll*http://www.rangercentral.com/main-cast.htm

Oooohh... bvut I did see where "Mike Chat" of XMA fame was a Ranger once... whoooooooooo
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

sean,

I checked imdb.com and found nothing. I googled the name and I found.....a Power Ranger forum...from what the google results showed they didn;t know who he was either. I clicked the link but you had to be a member to read the forum, and I couldn't bring myself sign up...not secure enough in my masculinity or something...

Yeah Mike Chat Power Ranger..

Jason David Frank (from early on) has a really sucessful school in CA and just opened one up in TX also...
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

he played tommy, the greena nd white ranger in the first 2/3 season, and then he came back in the later seasons as one of the leaders.

edit*

i just checked too. maybe aol got it wrong?
    Last edited by Shaolinlueb; 08-19-2005 at 10:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Mighty Morphin' Murderer

Former child actor Skylar Deleon, who appeared as an extra in hit TV series Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, has been accused of brutally murdering a California couple by tying them to an anchor and throwing them overboard a yacht. Deleon, 26, and wife Jennifer, 24, have been ordered to stand trial for the murders of Thomas Hawks and his wife Jackie last November in an alleged plot to steal their 55 foot luxury yacht. The Orange County Superior Court heard, on Wednesday, the pair posed as interested buyers and demanded a test run off Newport Beach where they attacked the elderly pair with a stun gun before handcuffing and blindfolding them. They were then allegedly tied to the boat's 66 pound anchor and ruthlessly thrown overboard where they drowned. Police were alerted to the murder by fellow accomplice Alonso Machain who claims Delona delayed the planned killings by a week after discovering that Hawks, a retired probation officer from Arizona, was a larger man than first expected. Matt Murphy, the Deputy District Attorney, "It is haunting to think these nice, loving people were trying to hold their breaths as they sank to the bottom of the ocean. This is as cold-blooded as it gets." All the defendants have pleaded not guilty.

imdb.com sets us straight. AOL and CNN exaggerate his role in PR for sensationalism....ba5tards.
    ------
    Jason

Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger probably killed a dude in Mexico

All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

See also: power ranger with a stun gun in the Street/Reality Fighting forum and

former power ranger wanted for murder in the Martial Media and Popular Culture forum
    ------
    Jason

He wasn't a Power Ranger, the idiot had two walk on parts as a kid.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/arti...00010000000001 saw this on another board. and yes it is the one who kept on going back!
    Link is dead...
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

Split thread

I just split off two posts from here into its own stand-alone thread - Power-Rangers-reboot-movie. I imagine this will get more interesting next year.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The Power Rangers Curse

Creepiest 'Where Are They Now' Ever: The Power Rangers Curse
    By Luis Prada, John Cheese January 26, 2016 1,947,906 views

Statistically speaking, most of the people reading this article grew up on Power Rangers. With 23 seasons under its ridiculously colorful belt, the show has been on the air longer than some of our readers have even been alive. So many actors have come in and out of the roles that it's become the kids' version of Doctor Who or James Bond: You don't just say, "The Yellow Ranger is my favorite." Your favorite is Becky Punchknuckle's depiction of the Yellow Ranger.

That being said, I thought it would be fun to dive into Google and Wikipedia to find out what our favorite Power Rangers actors have been up to since retiring from the show. And since I've already mentioned the Yellow Ranger, we might as well start with her.

Via Morphinlegacy.com

Thuy Trang was the very first Yellow Ranger, and though she was only on the show from 1993 to 1994, she was in a whopping 81 episodes. She didn't just play that role; she owned it. Since retiring from the show, though, Thuy has ...

Oh, ****. I'm really sorry about this, but it turns out she isn't with us anymore. It looks like back in 2001 she was a passenger in a car that slammed into a roadside cliff, flipped several times, and then went over a guard rail. She died at age 27, and the other passenger was paralyzed and rendered a quadriplegic. Holy Jesus, that's terrible. I'm so sorry for this. I didn't want this to turn into something dark. Let's just give Thuy a moment of respectful silence and move on.

What about Richard Genelle? You remember him, right? He was Ernie, the happy, jolly owner of Angel Grove Youth Center from 1994 until 1997. You know, this guy:

Via Morphinlegacy.com
    Also known as the Hawaiian Print Ranger.

Just glancing over his Wikipedia page, it looks like a pretty uplifting story. He left the show in 1997 because he wanted to take care of his personal issues with smoking and obesity. And good for him, because he actually lost 40 pounds! That's pretty amazing, and I think I speak for all of us when I say that we're incredibly proud of you, Richard. We all wish you a long and -- oh for the love of God, he died of a heart attack in 2008. God******. What the hell, man? He was 47 years old. I mean, I understand that he had weight issues, but that's still pretty young.

Wait a minute, Robert L. Manahan died of a heart attack too, at age 43! What the ****ting ****?! That's the guy who played Zordon, the giant floaty space head who created the Power Rangers! He's not supposed to die. He's omnipotent! Christ, I don't want to hear about the unnatural deaths of my childhood icons. That's beyond depressing. It's heartbreaking.

Saban Entertainment
    Why the long face?

OK, screw this, I'm looking up some more of these people before I write another word, because I don't think I can handle coming across another name on my list only to have it lead to another dark ending. Power Rangers is such a happy, goofy TV show. It deserves a happy, goofy ending for its cast. Let's check in on Machiko Soga, who played one of the weirdest, most over-the-top villains in Ranger history: Rita Repulsa ...

****. Me. Running.

Pancreatic cancer. Age 68. She had been battling it for two years, and when she died, it was totally alone. Her friend walked in to find her body. Hey, at least she was past retirement age. Too bad I can't say the same for Peta Rutter, who played the Mystic White Ranger. She died of a brain tumor at age 50. Oh, hey, here's a surprise: more cancer. This time, it's for Edward Albert, who played the Red Ranger's father, Mr. Collins. He died of lung cancer at 55.

Via Power Rangers Wikia
    No, not Phil.

Jesus Christ. This isn't just a coincidence -- it's a full-blown curse. You may think I'm being dramatic for the sake of exaggerated comedy here, but I'm not. You can't turn jet black news like this into comedy. I don't even believe in curses, but the more I read, the more this is looking like a genuine, "someone ****ed off a voodoo priest" spell. I mean, you could present the argument of, "It's a handful of deaths. It happens." But wait, I'm not even remotely close to being done.

Bob Papenbrook voiced Rito Revolto, Snizzard, Deviot, and a dozen other characters for several Power Rangers seasons and spinoffs. He died of chronic lung problems at age 50. And remember Professor Phenomenous Ingenious from Power Rangers In Space? Pneumonia took him at age 73. And that's not even counting several cast members who died for ... who knows?

For instance, Erik Frank played David Trueheart on Power Rangers Zeo. The character was the brother of Tommy Oliver, who is considered by many fans to be the greatest Ranger of all time. And those two were also real-life brothers. Erik died at age 29, and all research on his death just turns up "unspecified illness." Richard Rabago, who played Master Lee, died at age 68. And though you could assume that his could be listed as "natural causes," you won't find an actual reason anywhere. And you definitely can't say that Maurice Mendoza (who played Richie in the 1994 season) died from old age. He passed away at age 39, and you won't find a cause for that one, either.

Via Power Rangers Wikia
    I'll just call it "awesome overload."

You're not even safe if you have bit roles. Alissa Ann Smego played the one-off part of "Shawna -- a friend who came to visit" in 1994. She had off-and-on parts in other shows throughout the 1990s and eventually had her own Internet-based cooking show. In 2013, at 38 years old, she was found in her apartment, having committed suicide.

Holy ****-****ting ****. This is insane. What sort of Pandora ****ery have I opened here? And I know what you're thinking. "This curse can't all be premature deaths of cast members. That's crazy, but not that crazy. Death happens." And you're right. Here's an ex-cast member who murdered a couple of people.

I'm not even ****ing kidding. His name is Skylar Deleon, and he played a bit role back when he was just a cute little kid. Seriously, look how adorable he is, trying and failing to kick a soccer ball:

Saban Entertainment

That little boy grew up into a full-fledged psychopath. He pretended to be interested in buying a yacht from a couple in Arizona. Then when they took the boat out for a test drive, he beat them, tied them to the anchor, and dropped them overboard. Their bodies were never found, but we're not talking about "alleged" killings here. He admitted to the whole thing, as well as another murder from 2003. The only reason they went to court was to ask for life in prison, which he did not get. He was sentenced to death.

Are you erupting in a geyser of comedy joy yet? Oh, don't get ****ing comfortable, because he's not the only cast member to straight-up kill a mother****er.

Ricardo Medina Jr., who played 40 episodes as Cole Evans (Red Wild Force Ranger) and 24 episodes as the voice of Decker, was recently arrested for murder after he stabbed his roommate to death with a sword. No, seriously, a ****ing sword. Again, we're not saying he "allegedly" killed him. He admits the whole thing happened. He's pleading self-defense, but he absolutely stabbed that guy to death.

So, there you go. I hope your childhood is now as completely butt****ed as mine, because it at least makes me feel a bit better that I'm not going through this trauma alone. If you read this thing with even a fraction of what I experienced in researching and writing it, we're now forever connected.

But if you don't mind, I'd like to be alone right now. I'm going to go sit in my closet with the door shut and cry until I black out from the emotional stress.

Luis is shaking in a corner, softly mumbling, "It's morphin' time" over and over. Meanwhile, you can find him on Twitter, Tumblr, and Facebook.
    I'll have to remember this in case I get to interview anyone involved with the Power Rangers reboot movie
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Follow up on Ricardo Medina

This is a little dated, but it just came to my attention over last weekend.

Previous Red Ranger posts about this here & here.

‘Power Rangers’ TV Actor Admits Killing Roommate; Faces 6 Years Behind Bars
    by Dominic Patten
    March 16, 2017 12:25pm

Over two years after Ricardo Medina’s roommate was stabbed to death, the ex-Power Rangers actor pleaded guilty today to killing Josh Sutter. With sentencing set for March 30, Medina could face up to six years in state prison.

While no picnic, to say the least, that’s a far cry from the life sentence Medina was looking at when he was arrested on a murder charge in January 2016. That charge could have seen him behind bars for 26 years to life.

The actor, who played Cole Evans aka the Red Wild Force Ranger in the 2002 series Power Rangers Wild Force, entered his plea to a lesser charge of “one felony count of voluntary manslaughter and admitted an allegation of using a sword in the killing,” the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office said Thursday.

Back on January 31, 2015, Medina and Sutter got into an argument concerning the former’s girlfriend. As things unfortunately escalated, Medina grabbed a sword they had around the apartment and started repeatedly stabbing Sutter, who died soon afterward.

Picked up by the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department for the killing that day, the Power Rangers alum was released after a court hearing soon afterward because the case was rejected. At the time, the DA’s office said the matter still was being investigated and that it would not rule out going after Medina again down the line – which it did on January 14 last year, with a new murder charge and bail set at $1 million.

“I’m very, very, very sorry for what occurred,” said Medina when he was first let out in February 2015. “I’m very happy to be out of jail, and my heart goes out to the Sutter family.”

After playing Red Wild Force Ranger on Fox Kids and ABC Kids’ Wild Force, Medina got a second kick at the Power Rangers can in 2012. He returned to the brand, which had been bought back from Disney by Haim Saban, in 2011 for Power Rangers Samurai. That season of the Power Rangers was actually split in two, with Power Rangers Super Samurai making up the second set of 20 episodes in 2012.

Deputy D.A. Tannaz Mokayef with the Major Crimes Division is handling the Medina case for D.A. Jackie Lacey’s office.

Meanwhile, the latest iteration of the long-running franchise, director Dean Israelite’s Power Rangers, hits theaters March 24 via Lionsgate.
    Does being a MMPR overshadow being a wannabe samurai?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The curse revisited

Evidence The Power Rangers Curse Is Real And Destroying Lives Right Now
    Erin McCann

While the Power Rangers may be known as protectors of the Earth, the casts of the American series have garnered a tragically deadly reputation. In what's come to be known as the Power Rangers death curse, as many as 14 people with ties to the franchise have either died unnaturally or committed murder. If you're wondering where your favorite Power Ranger is today, it's highly possible that the your answer lies in an obituary.

When Mighty Morphin Power Rangers debuted on US television in 1993, it was easy for young fans to miss the majority of the show's subtleties, but the deaths of several lead characters were unignorable. While no actor ever died on the set, many of the series's younger cast members passed away long before their time, and several were arrested for murder. The slew of fatal Power Rangers tragedies suggests to some that the franchise is cursed; a theory that is further evidenced by the often ironic ways in which the actors met their ends.

Thuy Trang Was Killed In A Horrific Car Accident At Age 27

Photo: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers/Saban
    Long before she became Trini Kwan (AKA Yellow Ranger) Thuy Trang lived a life that was far too dangerous for children's TV. As a child, Trang escaped Vietnam by boat with a few of her family members, and survived being held in a detention camp in Hong Kong. During the arduous voyage, Trang was extremely sickly, and other refugees suggested that her mother throw her overboard.

Eventually, the family made it to America, at which point Trang became interested in acting. She landed a lead role in Power Rangers thanks to the martial arts skills she'd been practicing since childhood, and starred in 80 episodes during the first two seasons, as well as a few movies.

Unfortunately, Trang's career was cut short at age 27, when she became the first victim of the supposed Power Rangers curse. In 2001, Trang and her friends were driving around California, when their car suddenly lost control on a mountainous road. The vehicle plummeted off the side of a nearby cliff, killing Trang and leaving the driver quadriplegic. To add insult to curse, an advertisement for the 2017 Power Rangers movie showcased (supposedly accidentally) a new Yellow Ranger with the slogan "Driver's Ed Not Required."

Erik Frank Succumbed To An Unknown Illness

Photo: Power Rangers Zeo/Saban
    When Power Rangers Zeo was casting for the role of Tommy Oliver's brother, they hired Erik Frank, the real life brother of Tommy actor Jason David Frank. Sadly, Erik's portrayal of David Trueheart ended up being his final performance.

While Tommy's Green/White Ranger went on to become a fan-favorite, David Trueheart's narrative arc was cut short when Erik Frank passed away at the criminally young age of 29. Suspiciously, no one knows exactly what caused Erik's death, which further suggests some sort of curse was at work. Even the most hardcore of Power Rangers fans can only suggest that the actor died of an "unknown" or "unspecified" illness.

Ricardo Medina Jr. Was Convicted Of Stabbing His Roommate To Death With A Sword

Photo: Power Rangers Wild Force/Saban
    Ricardo Medina Jr. got his big break playing Red Lion (AKA Cole Evans) on 2002's Power Rangers Wild Force, and returned in 2011 to play Decker on Power Rangers Samurai. A few years later, Medina was accused of murdering his roommate; an incident that could potentially be attributed to the curse.

According to the story, Medina got into a fight with his roommate over the fact that Medina's girlfriend was at their house. The roommate allegedly broke down Medina's bedroom door, at which point he was forced to defend himself with the only thing available: a samurai sword. Considering Medina held a lead role on a samurai show, it sort of makes sense why he had a sword lying around his bedroom, but the story is still pretty wild. The star was later arrested, charged with murder, and sentenced to six years in prison. Don't try that at home, kids!

Peta Rutter Developed A Brain Tumor And Died At Age 50

Photo: Power Rangers Mystic Force/Saban
    Power Rangers Mystic Force began in 2006, and starred New Zealand's Peta Rutter as the White Mystic Ranger Udonna. While she was older than her fellow cast members — as of 2018, Rutter is the oldest actor ever to portray a Ranger — her sudden passing at age 50 still felt tragically unfair. In 2010, it was announced that Rutter had died of a brain tumor, making her the second Power Rangers star to die, after Yellow Ranger actor Thuy Trang's fatal car accident in 2001.

Richard Genelle Passed Away After Suffering A Heart Attack

When they weren't kicking butt, the original Power Rangers could be found hanging out at the Angel Grove Youth Center, because that's the type of rad place kids in the early '90s were all about. Richard Genelle played Ernie, the center's owner, who was often found gently helping his customers with their problems or offering kindly advice.

Although his character's job responsibilities involved fitness and fruity drinks, Genelle was not a healthy guy. After four years on the show, he left to work on himself, at which point his character was said to have moved to South America to volunteer as an emergency relief worker.

In real life, Genelle quit smoking and made an efforts to fight his obesity, which resulted in him losing 40 pounds. Unfortunately, Ernie's helpful, cheery nature wasn't enough to overcome the Power Ranger curse, and in 2008 Genelle passed away at age 47 from a heart attack.

Machiko Soga Lost Her Battle With Pancreatic Cancer

The Power Rangers curse isn't limited to its heroes; unfortunately, the actress who played Rita Repulsa was affected by it as well. Machiko Soga took a lot of voice-over and radio work in Japan before joining the Super Sentai series (which served as the inspiration for Power Rangers, the American adaptation of the Japanese hit). Soga played five different parts throughout the series, and became Rita when the American creators re-used footage of her from the Japanese series. Soga revealed in 2005 that she had been battling pancreatic cancer for two years, and a friend found her dead in her home a year later. At the time of her passing, she was 68 years old.

A Heart Attack Ended The Life Of The Actor Who Voiced Zordon

ow
    Even Zordon, the all-powerful floating head that created the Power Rangers, wasn't immune to the franchise's curse. From the start of the show until 1998, Robert L. Manahan provided the voice for Zordon. In addition to his voice work, Manahan had a pretty solid career as a sound artist throughout the 1990s, and also worked on other popular shows such as Martin, Sweet Valley High, and Beakman's World. Two years after leaving Power Rangers, a heart aneurysm took Manahan's life at the tender age of 43.

Martial Arts Legend Richard Rabago Died Unexpectedly At Age 68

Richard Rabago is legendary in the world of martial arts. Although he only appeared in a single episode of Power Rangers, he still fell victim to the franchise's infamous curse. Born in Hawaii, Rabago spent his youth studying a wide array of martial arts, and went on to open his own dojo in California.

In addition to his passion for physical training, Rabago was also deeply interested in acting. Initially, he landed roles in VR Troopers and Big Trouble in Little China, which led to him being cast as Master Lee in an episode of Power Rangers. Apparently, one episode is all the curse requires, as Rabago passed away at age 68 in 2012. As is the case with several other victims of the curse, no cause of death has been made public.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jonathan Entwistle

It'll be a long time until PW can challenge the MCU.

THE POWER RANGERS JUST BECAME MARVEL'S NEXT BIG RIVAL
    The nearly 30-year-old franchise has finally become something it never was before: Original.

John Lamparski/Getty Images Entertainment/Getty Images
    ERIC FRANCISCO
    3 HOURS AGO
    UNLESS YOU'RE ALREADY A FAN, you likely haven't thought about the Power Rangers in years. The 2017 reboot movie — with Elizabeth Banks as evil sorceress Rita Repulsa — came and went, leaving pop culture to move on to the next Marvel movie. The TV show is still airing, but unless you're still watching Nickelodeon on Saturday mornings, Power Rangers is simply not on your radar.

But last week, the franchise's future changed in a really remarkable way.

The Hollywood Reporter revealed that Jonathan Entwistle, creator and director of The End of the F***ing World and the Netflix series I Am Not Okay With This, has been promoted from directing the next Power Rangers movie to becoming the franchise's answer to Marvel Studios mastermind Kevin Feige. Entwistle has creative reign over the Power Rangers universe, one that will include A NEW TV SERIES AND MOVIE. Because it's 2020, everything will inhabit a shared universe. Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner also confirmed in a recent earnings call there will be separate Power Rangers content for adults and kids.

“This is an unbelievable opportunity to deliver new Power Rangers to both new and existing generations of awaiting and adoring fans," Entwistle said. "We’ll bring the spirit of analog into the future, harnessing the action and storytelling that made this brand a success."

What's most interesting of all is how the Power Rangers are proceeding creatively. Beyond aging up a superhero show approaching 30 years old, Power Rangers is now seemingly (though not confirmed) divorced from Super Sentai, the Japanese show it recycles material from. THIS IS A BIG DEAL.

However much the Power Rangers move on from their Japanese roots, the new arrangement implies Hasbro, current owners of the Power Rangers, are investing into the franchise in a way previous owners like Saban and Disney did not. This could eventually put Power Rangers in a position to compete with the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Haim Saban (center), with the cast of the 1993 series 'Mighty Morphin Power Rangers' at the premiere of 2017's 'Power Rangers.'Todd Williamson/Getty Images Entertainment/Getty Images

HOW THIS HAPPENED
    Back in 2018, Hasbro purchased the Power Rangers toy rights from Bandai, and has applied the same strategy to the franchise that it uses for Star Wars and Marvel. There are separate product lines for adult collectors and younger kids. When it happened, Saban Brands, owned by billionaire Haim Saban, was to continue producing Power Rangers media, including the TV show, video games, the very good comic books from BOOM! Studios, and whatever else they were cooking up.

That all changed just months later. In May 2018, Hasbro became became the owners of the entire franchise, and took on the responsibility of producing more Power Rangers TV episodes. Hasbro's production company Allspark is behind the current iteration of the TV show, titled Power Rangers Beast Morphers, and the company will presumably make the next Power Rangers movie, whenever that happens.

Hasbro and its entertainment subsidiary eOne see Power Rangers as a big intellectual property to weaponize, with 25-plus years of content to draw from and a built-in audience. When Hasbro acquired the Power Rangers for $522 million, it was a sweet deal. (It was even sweeter for Saban, who bought it from Disney in 2010 for less than $100 million.)

At Power Morphicon 2018, the cast of 'Power Rangers Beast Morphers' were introduced in front of fans and welcomed by their predecessors, the cast of 'Power Rangers Ninja Steel.' 'Beast Morphers' is the first series to be produced by Hasbro.Albert L. Ortega/Getty Images Entertainment/Getty Images

WHY THIS MATTERS
    For the first time ever, an entity with deep pockets is TAKING POWER RANGERS SERIOUSLY. And it isn't for a one-off reboot movie, either. This is the kind of active, long-term investment that neither Saban nor Disney ever bothered with.

In the Hollywood Reporter story, you'll find no mention of Super Sentai, the Japanese TV show from which Power Rangers recycles major elements — costumes, monsters, giant robots, entire fight scenes, and sometimes storylines. This is how, and why, Power Rangers is a "cheap" show. Producing Power Rangers is antithetical to making television in that an entire part of the show is already done and the the rest is reverse-engineering a new story out of existing material.

The lack of mention of Super Sentai in THR supports earlier scooping by The Illuminerd, which reported back in July 2020 that Hasbro was looking to sever ties with Japanese studio Toei. This means Hasbro may create A COMPLETELY ORIGINAL Power Rangers EXCLUSIVELY FOR WESTERN AUDIENCES.

Next year, Power Rangers Dino Fury will run as the series has before, using elements from a Super Sentai series, 2019's Kishiryu Sentai Ryusoulger. But after that, audiences may be in for something they've truly never seen before. And it might be because of Entwistle himself.

Jonathan Entwistle, director of the Netflix series 'I Am Not Okay With This,' is currently the lead creative on the Power Rangers franchise.Charley Gallay/Getty Images Entertainment/Getty Images

WHO IS JONATHAN ENTWISTLE?
    Entwistle has an established and proven YA voice. He produced and directedThe End of the F***ing World, a dark comedy about a teen sociopath on a road trip, as well as the recent Netflix series I Am Not Okay With This, where Sophia Lillis plays a restless teen with telekinetic superpowers.

In both, Entwistle takes an ironic approach to bored teenagers experiencing a seismic shift in their lives. That both is and isn't quite Power Rangers. On the surface, a relatable version of Power Rangers would be that they're living a humdrum existence until a giant monster stomps their town. But Power Rangers has tended to work best with genuine sincerity.

Nothing in Power Rangers clicks when the teenagers crack wise about the kaiju that just leveled their high school, but when there's authentic stakes as the teen heroes jump into mechanical dinosaurs. That's actually what many critics, like David Sims at The Atlantic, liked about the reboot movie. "Every line of dialogue ranges between clumsily heartfelt and nakedly absurd," Sims wrote. Vox too published a positive review in a headline that read Power Rangers "is magical when it stops trying to be cool."

In 2018, Joshua Rivera wrote the definitive take on Power Rangers as a whole for GQ:

At its best, Power Rangers could be sweeping, mythic and large, full of stories of sacrifice and loss—but also while never leaving behind the kids that watched it. Maybe you couldn't morph or pilot a giant robot dinosaur—that was okay. As long as you were good to people around you, you stood up to bullies, you helped people who needed it, stuck up for those who couldn't stick up for themselves, you could be a Power Ranger too. At its worst, it still sold toys.
    Entwistle has kept quiet about his plans for Power Rangers. Thus far, he's only shared on Twitter report on the ongoing process, adding that he intends to tell "one big Rangers story across Movies and TV." He has also changed his header image to the Green Ranger. But the specifics on how Entwistle will tell his story are as mysterious as the Rangers' next adventure.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips