Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mighty Morphin Power Ranger news

A bootleg vid...

...that's what they call this but it's not quite the right term as 'bootleg' implies smuggling on some level, like a bootleg recording or bootlegging booze. I guess they were trying to elevate it from 'fan vid'. Nevertheless, it's worth a gander. I'd watch a whole film in this style, sort of MMPR given the Christopher Nolan treatment. Will Yun Lee is in it.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

aw man...

The best thing to happen to MMPW in years and now it's a legal issue...

Producers of Power Rangers Video Might Be In For Legal Fight
    by David Robb
    and Anita Busch
    February 24, 2015 6:14pm

A legal battle is brewing over the rights of filmmakers to make fan videos based on the copyrighted works of others. Music video director Joseph Kahn, who posted a 14-minute Power Rangers take-off last night that quickly went viral, says he’s being “harassed” by Haim Saban, who owns rights to the franchise and is jointly producing his own Power Rangers film with Lionsgate.

The short film, produced by Adi Shankar (an executive producer on Lone Survivor and A Walk Among The Tombstones) and Jil Hardin and co-written by Kahn, Dutch Southern and star James Van Der Beek, was posted on YouTube and Vimeo. Katee Sackhoff also stars. It as of now, it’s still up on YouTube and has jumped from 716,000 views to 1.4 million views in a matter of an hour. Vimeo took it down today after receiving a complaint from Saban Brands.

“Vimeo is the host for your videos,” the site told Kahn in an email today, “and as a host for user-generated content we are fully compliant with the notice and takedown provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. It looks like your video was removed due to a copyright infringement claim by: Tim Quinlan, SCG Power Rangers LLC.”

Quinlan had no comment, and sources say that Lionsgate is aware of the brouhaha and watching from the sidelines but at this point staying out of the fight. Shankar also has a separate Q&A that uses Power Rangers footage on his personal video blog.

“Saban is trying to shut Power/Rangers down,” Kahn tweeted. “If you’d like to keep watching, tell them to stop harassing me.” In separate tweets, Kahn laid out his legal defense. “Every image in Power/Rangers is original footage. Nothing was pre-existing. There is no copyrighted footage in the short. I am not making any money on it and I refuse to accept any from anyone. It was not even Kickstarted, I paid for it myself. This was made to be given away for free. It is just as if I drew a pic of Power Rangers on a napkin and I gave it to my friend. Is it illegal to give pic I drew of a character on a napkin to someone for free? No.”

Then, in a tweet to Saban, he added: “The world is watching your actions right now.”

Joseph Kahn ✔ @JosephKahn
    Follow
    Y'all better watch the **** out of POWER/RANGERS. No idea how long it'll be up. Going to bed. Goodnight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw5vcUPyL90
    3:47 PM - 24 Feb 2015

YouTube @YouTube
    A top entertainment industry copyright attorney, who asked not to be identified, told Deadline that “there is a gray area of ‘fan fiction’ where tributes are made by fans and the studios don’t want to **** off their base by going after these people legally. The guy may have a fair use defense, or a de minimis use defense. It’s not a slam dunk by either side. Trademark law applies as well.”

The so called “fair use doctrine” allows a certain amount of free use of copyrighted material. According to the U.S. Copyright Office, “The distinction between what is fair use and what is infringement in a particular case will not always be clear or easily defined. There is no specific number of words, lines, or notes that may safely be taken without permission.” It notes, however, that one of the key tests in determining fair use is “whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes.”

“I just wanted to make Power Rangers good for once,” Kahn told Deadline. “It’s kind of a silly franchise. It was an experiment in tone; it was a challenge. I took the silliest property I could think of and tried to see if I could make it serious enough.”

Kahn said that the lavishly produced project, which has the added distinction of being set partly in North Korea, took him nine months to finish and seven days to shoot.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This is really funny to me

The original Green Ranger didn't love that Power/Rangers short film

by Jonathon Dornbush • @jmdornbush

(Gilbert Carrasquillo/Getty Images)

Posted February 26 2015 — 10:14 AM EST

Whether fans enjoyed Power/Rangers, the short film that put an adult spin on the classic franchise, one of the original Rangers was not pleased with the project.

Jason David Frank, the original Green Ranger, who also served as the White Ranger during Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, posted a video to his Facebook page to give his thoughts on the Joseph Kahn-, Adi Shankar-produced Power/Rangers film.

Frank explains that he was actually approached to be in the film but declined.

“I’m just a PG-13 guy,” Frank said. “The cuss words, the drugs, all this other stuff, it doesn’t fly with me.”

Power/Rangers took a dark approach to the source material, making the Rangers warriors in a bloody battle where the words “dark” and “gritty” might as well be written on every frame of the short. The film has, since its premiere earlier this week, been taken off of Vimeo, but remains on YouTube in a slightly toned-down fashion. But either version is a sober, serious take on the more colorful source material, and while many older fans were pleased with the direction it took, Frank saw the new tone as an issue.

Frank’s primary sticking point for why he wasn’t a fan of the film had to do with reconciling the mature direction of the piece and the franchise’s originas as a children’s show.

“The problem is that they’re still connected with adults and kids,” he said. “You can’t take a brand like this and reboot it so dark and gritty…you still have the kids that want to watch Power Rangers.”

Frank indictaes that he did enjoy the film on an “inner geek” level, but he thinks there’s a responsibility on the part of the people creating something with the brand to always keep the kids in mind.

He also went on to talk about another reason why he turned down a role in the short: He’s holding out for the real thing.

“Do I like the film? Here’s my thing. I want to be in the real movie,” Frank said.

He wants a “Saban-blessing approved” opportunity to bring Tommy to a film format. Frank even makes a plea to Lionsgate in the video to include Tommy in the upcoming big screen Power Rangers film in production at the studio, which is set to hit theaters in 2016.

Watch Frank’s full response below.

Like Page
    JASON DAVID FRANK - Official Fan Page
    Entertainer · 681,305 Likes
    · February 24 at 6:00pm ·

My outlook on the Rated R fan film. JDF
    Share · 21,7945,4655,775
    Originally posted February 26 2015 — 10:14 AM EST
    You have to follow the link if you want to see his vid because it was too much trouble to embed it.

Someone should make an R-rated CGI-laden reboot of H.R. Pufnstuf.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

And we're back!

It's Back!... Fan Power Triumphs as 'Power/Rangers' Bootleg Returns to Youtube!
    by Daniel Pearson ⋅ Posted on March 2nd, 2015 at 5:36am ⋅ Last edit on March 3rd, 2015

We were all utterly dismayed last week as the outstanding Power Rangers bootleg, Power/Rangers, was removed from the internet following a rampant copyright dispute. But wipe away those tears, Mighty Morphins: I have some good news. It's back, and it's all thanks to us - the fans!
    "I think they realized that people just want to see it.”

The short film, which was produced by Adi Shankar and directed by music video legend Joseph Khan, had us all slack-jawed in appreciation of its wild CGI effects, bloody violence, sultry demeanor, and all-round badass-ness.

Many, myself included, said it was the best interpretation of the franchise to date.

But then it all came crumbling down. Rumors began to surface that the guys who own all the rights for the hit Saturday morning TV show (a company called SCG Power Rangers LLC) were angry, not just about the breach of copyright, but about the film's depiction of brutal violence, nudity, and drug use. It was pulled a few days later.

I don't want to go over old ground, here, so I'll simply say that at the time I thought both parties had good reason to be annoyed following the dispute. The only thing that matters now is that this awesome movie is back, and it's almost entirely thanks to the sheer brute force of 'fan power' i.e. us!

As soon as SCG Power Rangers LLC realized just how well-liked the short movie was (and probably just how powerful it is as free advertising for their own feature length movie), a deal was brokered allowing the film to be reinstated with just a few small alterations.

Firstly, the movie is now age-restricted on youtube; secondly, a disclaimer has to be shown before the movie begins, no matter on which website it is shown. The scene showing Zack with two topless hookers (circa 3 minutes 40 seconds) has also been removed from the youtube version, though it still appears on Vimeo.

CENSORED: this scene no longer features on youtube.

The film's director, Joseph Khan, told Deadline,

“They put these disclaimers on so kids so don’t confuse our super-violent film with their Power Rangers brand. There are no hard feelings. We signed contracts. We can play it anywhere we want on all platforms. I think they realized that people just want to see it.”

Watch Power/Rangers in full below (BEWARE - NSFW)

I've watched it at least 10 times now and it never gets any less impressive. It's so, so good.

I can't wait for the full movie next year!
    If you haven't watched the uncensored version, set aside 14 min 27 sec of your life now, before it gets yanked forever.

Meanwhile, onward for Shankar...

‘James Bond’ Film Drops From ‘Power Rangers’ Bootleg Producer
    by Anita Busch
    March 3, 2015 12:00am

The producer behind the Power Rangers bootleg fan video is now taking on Bond. James Bond. The video is called James Bond: In Service Of Nothing and is an animated take this time around, using Sean Connery’s likeness. Asked if he is worried about similar legal issues as those he encountered with Saban Entertainment and the Power Rangers fan film, Adi Shankar said he can’t think about that. He says that he has a First Amendment right, that the business is changing at a rapid pace and he is tapping into what people want.

It seems with the whopping 18M online views (all in) of the Power Rangers Bootleg — which rocketed to that number in only a matter of days before Saban cried copyright foul — Shankar is right. It’s a new world, and younger fans are driving entertainment in another direction. Studio executives, take note.

“There is a changing of the guard, and we need to stop pretending that the people in the digital filmmaking are not credible because the audience is gravitating away from us and to them,” Shankar told Deadline. “You must be fearless, but the vast majority of decisions in this industry are fear-based. The fact is that more people saw Jerry Purpdrank and Britney Furlan on Vine this weekend than saw Will Smith in Focus. It’s not a knock on Will Smith, it’s a commentary on what’s happening in entertainment.”

The Smith-starring Focus only pulled in only $18.6M at the box office while one six-second Purpdrank video on Vine pulled in 1.8M loops and Furlan’s video in one day pulled in 5M loops. All of those videos are shot on the iPhone. “This new generation doesn’t hold movies as above or below any other form of content out there,” said Shankar. “And stuff that is easily accessible online is in a lot of ways closer to what they actually want to watch in terms of the pacing and storytelling.”

James Bond: In Service Of Nothing is Shankar’s fifth bootleg video and only 10 minutes long. It is directed by pre-visualization artist Tyler Gibb. The story follows Connery as Bond in his younger days, but then we see that it is only one of the older, retired Bond’s flashback. The reality is James Bond In Service of Nothingthat he’s in today’s world wandering around “trying to find purpose and meaning,” says Shankar. “I always wondered what would happen to the Ian Fleming James Bond in today’s world. He was an alcoholic, reckless guy with Mommy issues and has the same instincts as a serial killer, and if you revoke his License to Kill, what would he become? This is not the kind of person that you give a gold watch to. He’s a highly weaponized guy, and then at some point you figure he’s going to snap after the call for duty ends.”

It took several months for Shankar to produce the Bond film, and he worked on it at the same time as Power Rangers. He said it was done mainly with all volunteer work, favors and an animation collective. He said the costs were minimal. “When people are passionate about something, they just want to do it,” he told Deadline. “These are the same models that these digital artists are doing. They are doing things for the collective good.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Yellow Ranger unmasked...

...and stripped down to her bikini.

Yellow Shinken Sentai ranger Suzuka Morita transforms into swimsuit model
    Audrey Akcasu
    12 hours ago

Many teenage boys and young men across Japan were probably sitting at the edge of their seats waiting for July 20. That day marked the release of a special DVD featuring photographs of the idol turned TV super-hero Suzuka Morita as she leaves behind her yellow ranger outfit for some skimpy bikinis.

▼ Shinken Yellow!

The 22-year-old Morita, affectionately known as Su-chan, started making a name for herself around 2008 when she joined the pop group Idoling!!!, which also had its own TV program. While she was in the group from 2008-2012, her real break came when she joined the cast of Samurai Sentai Shinkenger as the yellow sentai ranger in 2009.

▼ Here’s Su-chan in all of her Samurai Sentai Shinkenger glory.

Fighting her way into the hearts of boys and men until 2013, she’s now taken on a new role: bikini model.

Morita’s DVD (and BluRay), titled Yume Kou Tsutsu and put out by Line Communications, is a compilation of pictures and video of Su-chan prancing around in a variety of bikinis and lingerie.

▼ And what a variety of bikinis she has!

Morita spent the photo shoot on the beaches of Shizuoka Prefecture’s Izu Peninsula with a bunch of crabs, later saying, “There were so many crabs, we just lazed around with the crabs.”

For many, this is a welcome change; some men reminisce about their boyhood crushes on the yellow ranger, only to find her now all grown up and strutting her stuff. Others, however, are taking offense, hoping their childhood image of the spunky heroine is never tainted by the evils of eroticism.

This might be a good time to mention that bikini modeling is nothing new for our dear Su-chan. Before her Idoling!!! and Sentei Shinkenger careers took off, Morita was featured in some DVDs at the age of 15 that were pretty risqué for a teenager. .

The release of Morita’s new 4,000-yen (US$32) DVD on July 20 is being accompanied by an event at Akihabara’s Sofmap Amusment Center on August 9.

Sources: Kinisoku
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Red Ranger Ricardo Medina

Re-busted. Charges were dropped last year.

‘Power Rangers’ Star Ricardo Medina Charged With Murder

COURTESY OF ABC
    JANUARY 14, 2016 | 11:20AM PT
    Alex Stedman News Editor, Variety.com @a_sted

Former “Power Rangers Samurai” star Ricardo Medina was arrested Thursday morning and charged with the 2015 stabbing murder of his roommate, the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office announced.

Medina has been charged with one count of murder for the fatal stabbing of Josh Sutter at his house in Palmdale, Calif., on Jan. 31, 2015. The two allegedly got into an argument over Medina’s girlfriend, and Medina apparently stabbed Sutter multiple times with a sword after the argument turned physical.

Medina was arrested for the stabbing about a year ago, but claimed that it was self-defense and was released. However, he was not charged with the crime during that arrest, unlike the one that occurred on Thursday after more investigation from the DA’s office.

Medina is set to be arraigned Tuesday at the Antelope Valley Branch of the Los Angeles County Superior Court. Prosecutors will ask that bail be set at $1 million.

If convicted, Medina faces 26 years to life in prison.

Medina starred on “Power Rangers Wild Force” as Cole Evans for 39 episodes in 2002. He would return to the franchise in 2011, playing Deker in 24 episodes of “Power Rangers Samurai.” His other acting credits include a 2003 episode of “E.R.” and a 2004 episode of “CSI: Miami."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Split thread

I just split off two posts from here into its own stand-alone thread - Power-Rangers-reboot-movie. I imagine this will get more interesting next year.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Power Rangers Curse

Creepiest 'Where Are They Now' Ever: The Power Rangers Curse
    By Luis Prada, John Cheese January 26, 2016 1,947,906 views

Statistically speaking, most of the people reading this article grew up on Power Rangers. With 23 seasons under its ridiculously colorful belt, the show has been on the air longer than some of our readers have even been alive. So many actors have come in and out of the roles that it's become the kids' version of Doctor Who or James Bond: You don't just say, "The Yellow Ranger is my favorite." Your favorite is Becky Punchknuckle's depiction of the Yellow Ranger.

That being said, I thought it would be fun to dive into Google and Wikipedia to find out what our favorite Power Rangers actors have been up to since retiring from the show. And since I've already mentioned the Yellow Ranger, we might as well start with her.

Via Morphinlegacy.com

Thuy Trang was the very first Yellow Ranger, and though she was only on the show from 1993 to 1994, she was in a whopping 81 episodes. She didn't just play that role; she owned it. Since retiring from the show, though, Thuy has ...

Oh, ****. I'm really sorry about this, but it turns out she isn't with us anymore. It looks like back in 2001 she was a passenger in a car that slammed into a roadside cliff, flipped several times, and then went over a guard rail. She died at age 27, and the other passenger was paralyzed and rendered a quadriplegic. Holy Jesus, that's terrible. I'm so sorry for this. I didn't want this to turn into something dark. Let's just give Thuy a moment of respectful silence and move on.

What about Richard Genelle? You remember him, right? He was Ernie, the happy, jolly owner of Angel Grove Youth Center from 1994 until 1997. You know, this guy:

Via Morphinlegacy.com
    Also known as the Hawaiian Print Ranger.

Just glancing over his Wikipedia page, it looks like a pretty uplifting story. He left the show in 1997 because he wanted to take care of his personal issues with smoking and obesity. And good for him, because he actually lost 40 pounds! That's pretty amazing, and I think I speak for all of us when I say that we're incredibly proud of you, Richard. We all wish you a long and -- oh for the love of God, he died of a heart attack in 2008. God******. What the hell, man? He was 47 years old. I mean, I understand that he had weight issues, but that's still pretty young.

Wait a minute, Robert L. Manahan died of a heart attack too, at age 43! What the ****ting ****?! That's the guy who played Zordon, the giant floaty space head who created the Power Rangers! He's not supposed to die. He's omnipotent! Christ, I don't want to hear about the unnatural deaths of my childhood icons. That's beyond depressing. It's heartbreaking.

Saban Entertainment
    Why the long face?

OK, screw this, I'm looking up some more of these people before I write another word, because I don't think I can handle coming across another name on my list only to have it lead to another dark ending. Power Rangers is such a happy, goofy TV show. It deserves a happy, goofy ending for its cast. Let's check in on Machiko Soga, who played one of the weirdest, most over-the-top villains in Ranger history: Rita Repulsa ...

****. Me. Running.

Pancreatic cancer. Age 68. She had been battling it for two years, and when she died, it was totally alone. Her friend walked in to find her body. Hey, at least she was past retirement age. Too bad I can't say the same for Peta Rutter, who played the Mystic White Ranger. She died of a brain tumor at age 50. Oh, hey, here's a surprise: more cancer. This time, it's for Edward Albert, who played the Red Ranger's father, Mr. Collins. He died of lung cancer at 55.

Via Power Rangers Wikia
    No, not Phil.

Jesus Christ. This isn't just a coincidence -- it's a full-blown curse. You may think I'm being dramatic for the sake of exaggerated comedy here, but I'm not. You can't turn jet black news like this into comedy. I don't even believe in curses, but the more I read, the more this is looking like a genuine, "someone ****ed off a voodoo priest" spell. I mean, you could present the argument of, "It's a handful of deaths. It happens." But wait, I'm not even remotely close to being done.

Bob Papenbrook voiced Rito Revolto, Snizzard, Deviot, and a dozen other characters for several Power Rangers seasons and spinoffs. He died of chronic lung problems at age 50. And remember Professor Phenomenous Ingenious from Power Rangers In Space? Pneumonia took him at age 73. And that's not even counting several cast members who died for ... who knows?

For instance, Erik Frank played David Trueheart on Power Rangers Zeo. The character was the brother of Tommy Oliver, who is considered by many fans to be the greatest Ranger of all time. And those two were also real-life brothers. Erik died at age 29, and all research on his death just turns up "unspecified illness." Richard Rabago, who played Master Lee, died at age 68. And though you could assume that his could be listed as "natural causes," you won't find an actual reason anywhere. And you definitely can't say that Maurice Mendoza (who played Richie in the 1994 season) died from old age. He passed away at age 39, and you won't find a cause for that one, either.

Via Power Rangers Wikia
    I'll just call it "awesome overload."

You're not even safe if you have bit roles. Alissa Ann Smego played the one-off part of "Shawna -- a friend who came to visit" in 1994. She had off-and-on parts in other shows throughout the 1990s and eventually had her own Internet-based cooking show. In 2013, at 38 years old, she was found in her apartment, having committed suicide.

Holy ****-****ting ****. This is insane. What sort of Pandora ****ery have I opened here? And I know what you're thinking. "This curse can't all be premature deaths of cast members. That's crazy, but not that crazy. Death happens." And you're right. Here's an ex-cast member who murdered a couple of people.

I'm not even ****ing kidding. His name is Skylar Deleon, and he played a bit role back when he was just a cute little kid. Seriously, look how adorable he is, trying and failing to kick a soccer ball:

Saban Entertainment

That little boy grew up into a full-fledged psychopath. He pretended to be interested in buying a yacht from a couple in Arizona. Then when they took the boat out for a test drive, he beat them, tied them to the anchor, and dropped them overboard. Their bodies were never found, but we're not talking about "alleged" killings here. He admitted to the whole thing, as well as another murder from 2003. The only reason they went to court was to ask for life in prison, which he did not get. He was sentenced to death.

Are you erupting in a geyser of comedy joy yet? Oh, don't get ****ing comfortable, because he's not the only cast member to straight-up kill a mother****er.

Ricardo Medina Jr., who played 40 episodes as Cole Evans (Red Wild Force Ranger) and 24 episodes as the voice of Decker, was recently arrested for murder after he stabbed his roommate to death with a sword. No, seriously, a ****ing sword. Again, we're not saying he "allegedly" killed him. He admits the whole thing happened. He's pleading self-defense, but he absolutely stabbed that guy to death.

So, there you go. I hope your childhood is now as completely butt****ed as mine, because it at least makes me feel a bit better that I'm not going through this trauma alone. If you read this thing with even a fraction of what I experienced in researching and writing it, we're now forever connected.

But if you don't mind, I'd like to be alone right now. I'm going to go sit in my closet with the door shut and cry until I black out from the emotional stress.

Luis is shaking in a corner, softly mumbling, "It's morphin' time" over and over. Meanwhile, you can find him on Twitter, Tumblr, and Facebook.
    I'll have to remember this in case I get to interview anyone involved with the Power Rangers reboot movie
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Follow up on Ricardo Medina

This is a little dated, but it just came to my attention over last weekend.

Previous Red Ranger posts about this here & here.

‘Power Rangers’ TV Actor Admits Killing Roommate; Faces 6 Years Behind Bars
    by Dominic Patten
    March 16, 2017 12:25pm

Over two years after Ricardo Medina’s roommate was stabbed to death, the ex-Power Rangers actor pleaded guilty today to killing Josh Sutter. With sentencing set for March 30, Medina could face up to six years in state prison.

While no picnic, to say the least, that’s a far cry from the life sentence Medina was looking at when he was arrested on a murder charge in January 2016. That charge could have seen him behind bars for 26 years to life.

The actor, who played Cole Evans aka the Red Wild Force Ranger in the 2002 series Power Rangers Wild Force, entered his plea to a lesser charge of “one felony count of voluntary manslaughter and admitted an allegation of using a sword in the killing,” the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office said Thursday.

Back on January 31, 2015, Medina and Sutter got into an argument concerning the former’s girlfriend. As things unfortunately escalated, Medina grabbed a sword they had around the apartment and started repeatedly stabbing Sutter, who died soon afterward.

Picked up by the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department for the killing that day, the Power Rangers alum was released after a court hearing soon afterward because the case was rejected. At the time, the DA’s office said the matter still was being investigated and that it would not rule out going after Medina again down the line – which it did on January 14 last year, with a new murder charge and bail set at $1 million.

“I’m very, very, very sorry for what occurred,” said Medina when he was first let out in February 2015. “I’m very happy to be out of jail, and my heart goes out to the Sutter family.”

After playing Red Wild Force Ranger on Fox Kids and ABC Kids’ Wild Force, Medina got a second kick at the Power Rangers can in 2012. He returned to the brand, which had been bought back from Disney by Haim Saban, in 2011 for Power Rangers Samurai. That season of the Power Rangers was actually split in two, with Power Rangers Super Samurai making up the second set of 20 episodes in 2012.

Deputy D.A. Tannaz Mokayef with the Major Crimes Division is handling the Medina case for D.A. Jackie Lacey’s office.

Meanwhile, the latest iteration of the long-running franchise, director Dean Israelite’s Power Rangers, hits theaters March 24 via Lionsgate.
    Does being a MMPR overshadow being a wannabe samurai?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The curse revisited

Evidence The Power Rangers Curse Is Real And Destroying Lives Right Now
    Erin McCann

While the Power Rangers may be known as protectors of the Earth, the casts of the American series have garnered a tragically deadly reputation. In what's come to be known as the Power Rangers death curse, as many as 14 people with ties to the franchise have either died unnaturally or committed murder. If you're wondering where your favorite Power Ranger is today, it's highly possible that the your answer lies in an obituary.

When Mighty Morphin Power Rangers debuted on US television in 1993, it was easy for young fans to miss the majority of the show's subtleties, but the deaths of several lead characters were unignorable. While no actor ever died on the set, many of the series's younger cast members passed away long before their time, and several were arrested for murder. The slew of fatal Power Rangers tragedies suggests to some that the franchise is cursed; a theory that is further evidenced by the often ironic ways in which the actors met their ends.

Thuy Trang Was Killed In A Horrific Car Accident At Age 27

Photo: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers/Saban
    Long before she became Trini Kwan (AKA Yellow Ranger) Thuy Trang lived a life that was far too dangerous for children's TV. As a child, Trang escaped Vietnam by boat with a few of her family members, and survived being held in a detention camp in Hong Kong. During the arduous voyage, Trang was extremely sickly, and other refugees suggested that her mother throw her overboard.

Eventually, the family made it to America, at which point Trang became interested in acting. She landed a lead role in Power Rangers thanks to the martial arts skills she'd been practicing since childhood, and starred in 80 episodes during the first two seasons, as well as a few movies.

Unfortunately, Trang's career was cut short at age 27, when she became the first victim of the supposed Power Rangers curse. In 2001, Trang and her friends were driving around California, when their car suddenly lost control on a mountainous road. The vehicle plummeted off the side of a nearby cliff, killing Trang and leaving the driver quadriplegic. To add insult to curse, an advertisement for the 2017 Power Rangers movie showcased (supposedly accidentally) a new Yellow Ranger with the slogan "Driver's Ed Not Required."

Erik Frank Succumbed To An Unknown Illness

Photo: Power Rangers Zeo/Saban
    When Power Rangers Zeo was casting for the role of Tommy Oliver's brother, they hired Erik Frank, the real life brother of Tommy actor Jason David Frank. Sadly, Erik's portrayal of David Trueheart ended up being his final performance.

While Tommy's Green/White Ranger went on to become a fan-favorite, David Trueheart's narrative arc was cut short when Erik Frank passed away at the criminally young age of 29. Suspiciously, no one knows exactly what caused Erik's death, which further suggests some sort of curse was at work. Even the most hardcore of Power Rangers fans can only suggest that the actor died of an "unknown" or "unspecified" illness.

Ricardo Medina Jr. Was Convicted Of Stabbing His Roommate To Death With A Sword

Photo: Power Rangers Wild Force/Saban
    Ricardo Medina Jr. got his big break playing Red Lion (AKA Cole Evans) on 2002's Power Rangers Wild Force, and returned in 2011 to play Decker on Power Rangers Samurai. A few years later, Medina was accused of murdering his roommate; an incident that could potentially be attributed to the curse.

According to the story, Medina got into a fight with his roommate over the fact that Medina's girlfriend was at their house. The roommate allegedly broke down Medina's bedroom door, at which point he was forced to defend himself with the only thing available: a samurai sword. Considering Medina held a lead role on a samurai show, it sort of makes sense why he had a sword lying around his bedroom, but the story is still pretty wild. The star was later arrested, charged with murder, and sentenced to six years in prison. Don't try that at home, kids!

Peta Rutter Developed A Brain Tumor And Died At Age 50

Photo: Power Rangers Mystic Force/Saban
    Power Rangers Mystic Force began in 2006, and starred New Zealand's Peta Rutter as the White Mystic Ranger Udonna. While she was older than her fellow cast members — as of 2018, Rutter is the oldest actor ever to portray a Ranger — her sudden passing at age 50 still felt tragically unfair. In 2010, it was announced that Rutter had died of a brain tumor, making her the second Power Rangers star to die, after Yellow Ranger actor Thuy Trang's fatal car accident in 2001.

Richard Genelle Passed Away After Suffering A Heart Attack

When they weren't kicking butt, the original Power Rangers could be found hanging out at the Angel Grove Youth Center, because that's the type of rad place kids in the early '90s were all about. Richard Genelle played Ernie, the center's owner, who was often found gently helping his customers with their problems or offering kindly advice.

Although his character's job responsibilities involved fitness and fruity drinks, Genelle was not a healthy guy. After four years on the show, he left to work on himself, at which point his character was said to have moved to South America to volunteer as an emergency relief worker.

In real life, Genelle quit smoking and made an efforts to fight his obesity, which resulted in him losing 40 pounds. Unfortunately, Ernie's helpful, cheery nature wasn't enough to overcome the Power Ranger curse, and in 2008 Genelle passed away at age 47 from a heart attack.

Machiko Soga Lost Her Battle With Pancreatic Cancer

The Power Rangers curse isn't limited to its heroes; unfortunately, the actress who played Rita Repulsa was affected by it as well. Machiko Soga took a lot of voice-over and radio work in Japan before joining the Super Sentai series (which served as the inspiration for Power Rangers, the American adaptation of the Japanese hit). Soga played five different parts throughout the series, and became Rita when the American creators re-used footage of her from the Japanese series. Soga revealed in 2005 that she had been battling pancreatic cancer for two years, and a friend found her dead in her home a year later. At the time of her passing, she was 68 years old.

A Heart Attack Ended The Life Of The Actor Who Voiced Zordon

ow
    Even Zordon, the all-powerful floating head that created the Power Rangers, wasn't immune to the franchise's curse. From the start of the show until 1998, Robert L. Manahan provided the voice for Zordon. In addition to his voice work, Manahan had a pretty solid career as a sound artist throughout the 1990s, and also worked on other popular shows such as Martin, Sweet Valley High, and Beakman's World. Two years after leaving Power Rangers, a heart aneurysm took Manahan's life at the tender age of 43.

Martial Arts Legend Richard Rabago Died Unexpectedly At Age 68

Richard Rabago is legendary in the world of martial arts. Although he only appeared in a single episode of Power Rangers, he still fell victim to the franchise's infamous curse. Born in Hawaii, Rabago spent his youth studying a wide array of martial arts, and went on to open his own dojo in California.

In addition to his passion for physical training, Rabago was also deeply interested in acting. Initially, he landed roles in VR Troopers and Big Trouble in Little China, which led to him being cast as Master Lee in an episode of Power Rangers. Apparently, one episode is all the curse requires, as Rabago passed away at age 68 in 2012. As is the case with several other victims of the curse, no cause of death has been made public.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Continued from previous post

Maurice Mendoza Died From Unknown Causes

Several of the deaths surrounding the Power Rangers franchise have been from unknown causes, which further suggests the existence of a curse. One such actor was Maurice Mendoza, who played Richie during the second season of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

Initially, Richie's character was supposed to become Trini Kwan's love interest, but the idea was scrapped when Mendoza abruptly left the show in 1994. Apparently, the actor was interested in changing careers, as his run on Power Rangers marked the last time he ever appeared on TV. When Mendoza mysteriously passed away in 2013, he was 39 years old.

Alissa Ann Smego Committed Suicide At 38

Alissa Ann Smego lived a varied life after her one-time appearance on Power Rangers in 1994. In the season two episode "Forever Friends," Smego plays Shawna, a friend of the Rangers who drops in prior to a gymnastics competition. After landing several more small parts on other '90s television shows like Boy Meets World, Smego became a reporter, hosted her own cooking show, and taught yoga. Unfortunately, after struggling with mental illness for years, she committed suicide in 2013 at age 38.

Edward Laurence Albert Passed Away At Age 55 After Developing Lung Cancer

Photo: Power Rangers: Time Force/Saban
    Edward Laurence Albert is better known for his work outside of Power Rangers, but he nonetheless held the central role of Mr. Collins on Power Rangers: Time Force. Still, it's a little surprising to see him play Red Ranger's grouchy father, considering his family's pedigree of success (his godfather is Laurence Olivier, and his father is Eddie Albert).

Regardless of how goofy the part was, Albert acted the heck out of it, only to be done in by the alleged Power Rangers curse. In 2006, Albert was busy caring for his own father — who was suffering from Alzheimer's — when he was diagnosed with lung cancer. He passed away at age 55, not too long after doctors made the discovery.

Skylar Deleon Was Sentenced To Death For Murder

Skylar Deleon began life as the child of a convicted drug dealer, and things didn't get much better from there. As a child actor, Deleon starred in a few commercials before landing a one-time role on Power Rangers when she was 14 (her role was so menial that she didn't even receive a credit at the end of the episode).

Although her acting career continued into adulthood, she never experienced success, as she had extreme difficulty memorizing lines. A lack of funds drove Deleon to a life of crime, which led to her arrest in 2004. Authorities took notice of Deleon after she was spotted driving the car of a couple who had recently gone missing. It soon became apparent that Deleon had murdered the couple, at which point she was swiftly taken into custody. In 2008, Deleon was convicted of murder and sentenced to the death penalty.

Jack Banning Died Of Pneumonia

Photo: Power Rangers: In Space/Saban
    Although Jack Banning received a part in a Broadway play when he was younger, he decided to delay his acting career until his 50s so that he could help raise his children. After many minor film and stage roles, Banning joined the Power Rangers franchise as Professor Phenomenus, and appeared in Power Rangers: In Space and Power Rangers: Lost Galaxy.

In addition to helping the Rangers, Banning mentored young actors and taught acting classes on the side. Shortly after a 2005 stage performance of Of Mice and Men — which many consider his best work — Banning came down with pneumonia, and passed away from related complications at age 73.

Voice Actor Bob Papenbrook Died From A Lung Condition

Bob Papenbrook was a respected voice actor for many years, and lent his gruff-toned voice to all kinds of characters. Although he assisted in the production of many animated series, Papenbrook was also well known for his voice work in live-action productions. He provided voices for several Power Rangers characters, including Rito Revolto in two different series, Deviot in Power Rangers: Lost Galaxy, and various monsters throughout the franchise's universe. In a tragedy that can possibly be traced back to the Power Rangers curse, a 50-year-old Papenbrook was pronounced dead from a chronic lung condition in 2006.
    I'm not sure the one-time roles really count, but daaaaaaaang.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

RIP Pua Magasiva, the Red Wind Ranger

Pua Magasiva, 'Power Rangers' actor, dies aged 38
    Cause of death was not revealed by authorities
    By Rob Picheta, CNN
    Posted: 11:46 PM, May 11, 2019
    Updated: 11:46 PM, May 11, 2019

Phil Walter/Getty Images
    Pua Magasiva is seen with his wife Lizz Sadler in this 2017 photo.

(CNN) - New Zealand actor Pua Magasiva, best known for his role in "Power Rangers" and as a long-running star of the country's soap opera "Shortland Street," has died aged 38, his production company confirmed.

Magasiva played the Shane Clarke, the Red Wind Ranger, in "Power Rangers Ninja Storm" -- the 11th television installment of the popular superhero franchise.

Police were called to an address in Wellington on Saturday morning (local time) and found his body, according to media reports in the country. Cause of death has not been revealed.

The Samoan-born actor had also starred as nurse Vinnie Kruse in hundreds of episodes of "Shortland Street," one of New Zealand's most popular soaps.

He began the role in 2003, at the height of his fame, and has starred in the show since his return in 2012.

"We are all absolutely devastated at the tragic news regarding Pua Magasiva," the soap's production company wrote on social media Saturday.

"Pua was a much loved member of the South Pacific Pictures' family for many years and our hearts and thoughts go out to Pua's family at this time," they added.

Magasiva had made some of his earliest appearances on the same show years before, with minor parts in the early 1990s. He also had parts in TV programs "Outrageous Fortune" and "Diplomatic Immunity" during his lengthy career.

His "Power Rangers" co-star Jason Chan added on Facebook: "Incredibly sad to hear that one of our ranger family is gone. It will never be the same again. PUA you will be so dearly missed. You were the center of energy on set and off. Always laughing, giggling and involved in practical jokes."

Magasiva married teacher Lizz Sadler last year.
    38 - so young. Wonder what the circumstances were...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Power Rangers Beast Morphers Season 2 Official Trailer

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest free web article offering

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A day late, a dollar short

NATIONAL POWER RANGERS DAY

On August 28, It’s Morphin’ Time! National Power Rangers Day officially recognizes the original “teenagers with attitude” and celebrates all things Power Rangers!

In 1993, five ordinary teenagers exploded on the pop-culture scene with the launch of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Together they broke down barriers. They defeated evil by demonstrating teamwork, inclusivity, and diversity to people of all ages. Today, this grand tradition continues as new Ranger teams and new generations of fans discover these essential values over and over again.

On National Power Rangers Day everyone gets to be a Power Ranger! What are your Ranger skills and abilities? Do you have super strength or enhanced memory? Maybe your talent hasn’t been discovered yet. That’s ok! Nor does it matter where you live or who you are. With discipline, mindfulness, and heart, anyone can become a Power Ranger. Ultimately, the goal is calling your friends, color coordinating and celebrating National Power Rangers Day!

HOW TO OBSERVE #NationalPowerRangersDay

Whether you are a red, yellow, pink, black, blue, green or (favorite color here) Power Ranger, on August 28th, it’s Morphin’ Time! Celebrate your passion for the Power Rangers. Wear your gear on social media and share your memories.

Be sure to use #NationalPowerRangersDay to get in on the fun.

NATIONAL POWER RANGERS DAY HISTORY

Hasbro established National Power Rangers Day on August 28, 2018, to help celebrate the Power Rangers 25th anniversary!

Celebrating the Anniversary

Throughout its history, Power Rangers pioneered diversity, inclusivity, and teamwork exemplifying these values through every episode. When the show premiered in 1993, it featured a cast diverse beyond compare. Since then, the show has continued to lead the way proving that all are equal and anyone can be super. In fact, the recent 2017 feature film included one of the first Rangers/superheroes on the Autism spectrum!

Although it began as a children’s show, Power Rangers’ influence is multi-generational with nostalgia at an all-time high. Whether it’s kids discovering the SupeNinjaua Steel for the first time or adults who have been fans for decades, the brand’s positive messages and main characters resonate with people around the world because everyone can see themselves in these inspiring teenage heroes.

The Registrar at National Day Calendar proclaimed National Power Rangers Day to be observed annually on August 28.

About Power Rangers

One of the most recognizable franchises in the world with one of the most popular taglines in history, “It’s Morphin Time!” Haim Saban created Power Rangers. The TV series “Mighty Morphin Power Rangers” (MMPR) launched on August 28, 1993. Power Rangers quickly became the #1 kids action brand and a global phenomenon. With its current 25th season, “Power Rangers Super Ninja Steel,” the show is now the second longest-running non-soap opera scripted program on American TV after “The Simpsons.” There are over 830+ episodes in its library. Currently, Power Rangers is seen in more than 150 markets around the world, translated into numerous languages, and a favorite on many indispensable children’s programming blocks around the world. Go Go Power Rangers on 8.28!

Shoot, I'm sorry I missed this yesterday. And after we just covered the Power Rangers in our The Kung Fu of Comic Cons 2019 – Silicon Valley Comic Con 2019 report.

Alas, maybe next year we'll celebrate...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips