Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New San Shou/ MMA school in Ohio.

New San Shou/ MMA school in Ohio.

Opening in October!

Steel Valley Martial Arts & Fitness

110 East Main Street
    Scio, Ohio 43988

Boxing
    Judo
    Kickboxing (san shou / muay thai)
    Mixed Martial Arts
    Strength & Conditioning
    Submission Grappling
    Wrestling
    Yoga

Please contact me at steelvalleymma@hotmail.com for more info.

Thanks,

-Bill Easlick
    Owner/Head Instructor

p.s. - While our focus will be combat sports, we will be hosting many seminars on self defense, weapons training, firearms, Ohio - concealed carry course, rape prevention, combatives etc.. so check in often and find out if there will be something you're looking for.
    Last edited by ShaolinTiger00; 09-10-2005 at 12:19 PM.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

Good experience for you new guys and gals

2005 US Open San Da Championships
    December 10, 2005
    Rahway, NJ
    USKBA Sanctioned
    http://www.angelfire.com/sd2/kingofsanda/ctsevent.html
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Sounds awesome. I have a few questions:
    1) Are there individual coaches in each discipline, or at least the ones you don't have a lot of experience in?
    2) Are the classes developed to accomodate the "hobbyist" on the low end, and serious competitors on the higher level? Or, is it for hard core people only?
    4) What's the main focus in regards to both practice and marketing efforts? San Shou? Ground fighting? Judo? That is, what is the person off the street going to join and mainly see at your gym?
    3) Are competitions ever held in Parks that have bike cops in them, and are there open challenges to all Kung Fu guys (Ok, this one wasn't serious)?

That's it, but hope you have good success. I'd join the gym if I lived near there. My next goal is more wrestling and Judo once/if I ever get my purple. I love the options, including yoga.
    MTV-Get Off The Air-Now

Where's Scio in relation to Columbus? And now that I think of it... is there San Shou in Columbus?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Where's Scio in relation to Columbus? And now that I think of it... is there San Shou in Columbus?
    Scio is 2 hours east.

Scott Sheeley is in Bellefontaine, which I think is north west of Columbus.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Congrats, good luck.

it's about time..................... good luck
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

Thumbs up

Cool, good luck with the new gym!

I have some cousins in Youngstown that could use a good ass-whooping, i'll try to get them down your way

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie
    Sounds awesome. I have a few questions:
    1) Are there individual coaches in each discipline, or at least the ones you don't have a lot of experience in?
    2) Are the classes developed to accomodate the "hobbyist" on the low end, and serious competitors on the higher level? Or, is it for hard core people only?
    4) What's the main focus in regards to both practice and marketing efforts? San Shou? Ground fighting? Judo? That is, what is the person off the street going to join and mainly see at your gym?
    3) Are competitions ever held in Parks that have bike cops in them, and are there open challenges to all Kung Fu guys (Ok, this one wasn't serious)?

That's it, but hope you have good success. I'd join the gym if I lived near there. My next goal is more wrestling and Judo once/if I ever get my purple. I love the options, including yoga.

1.) with the exception of Yoga, which is my wife's territory, I have experience in all these combat sports. ex. - k thru college wrestler, judo & bjj for 5 years, sanshou & muay thai for 10 years. boxing since childhood. More so than my own skill level (which i still believe has yet to peak and I'm still training to fight), I think I have an ability to teach well and transfer details and concepts in a way that people can easily understand and implement.

2.) As the gym will be starting in an area with few options to train combat sports except wrestling, It's assumed that the majority of the students will be novice. and of these, a large % will be hobbyist and that's great by me. People have many reasons for coming to a gym like this and I want them to get the opporitunity to train at their level, but also train with the concepts that can take them to the next level with little more than more time put in and conditioning. There will be an "inner circle" of people who want to go to this next level and I'm going to help them focus this interest because it's my own passion, but it will not be to the detriment of my other students.

3.) The school's focus is MMA. My goal is to teach students who are trained in all aspects of fighting. and the integration of techniques instead of compartmentalized sports. ex- muay thai one day & judo the next does not = san shou, does not = MMA. MMA = MMA. and training to strike and grapple and groundowrk and striking etc... is going to be my standard. while I myself and hopefully my students will be competing in many combat sports, the real question is, "yeah, but can you fight?"

hope that answers your questions Ralphie.

Mutant, Bring those guys on down! I've already got some huge farm boys who are having a blast training. They boxed golden gloves and have been doing bjj for the past few years.

-Bill
    Last edited by ShaolinTiger00; 08-22-2005 at 02:33 PM.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Hey congratulations Bill! This is great news!!

You didn't mention this at the wedding. Is it a recent brainchild or were you guys holding out on me?

It's been a goal of mine for many years and even before we moved, we began to plan it out. Luckily everything has come together for us and we were able to lease a nice storefront location, get enough equipment for the first few months, insurance, etc. and now we're getting down to the details in preparation for Oct 3rd.

the devil is in the details..

We're excited about it. Last weekend was a local street festival and our first advertising for the school. People recieved it well and I'm happy about it. Can't wait to open the doors and get to it!
    Last edited by ShaolinTiger00; 08-22-2005 at 02:31 PM.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Awesome! I'm really happy for you two. (And not a little bit jealous, I might add.)

I'm looking forward to hearing how things go. Give my best to the missus.

Stuart

Thanks! You're always welcome.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

ttt for Ohio kungfu students who would like to meet and talk (and hopefully train)

I've already got a very diverses mix of students coming from chuan fa, tkd, boxing, wrestling, bjj backgrounds
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Shaolin Tiger!!!! It's me Ralek. I got banned on Ralek for showing drawings of naked girls.

I'm going to the maryalnd bullshido.net throwdown. JF springer will be there, one of the guys i was supposed to fight a long time ago (but ne never showed). This stuff gets put up on the video's section of Bullshido.net. Be sure to check it out. I plan on kicking praying mantis ass. You moved to OHIO, that is very gay.