Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ? Chinese short staff

I was thinking that actually. The rods are pretty much the same length as an escrima stick.

one thing though. The form with the rods surely has been created for a pair of rods weighing 5kg each, not for lightweight sticks? You would work differently with a weapon that is heavy as oppose to light weight sticks.

just a thought
    craig

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyfoot
    Just came across this video. Quite a nice little history about the flute.

http://www.internalkungfu.ca/download4.wmv

Craig
    Looks similar to a butterfly sword form I know.
    Bloodninja: I stomp the ground, and snort, to alert you that you are in my breeding territory.

yea, a few of the moves don't work to well with a light stick. kinda need something with some more "umph behind it to work well.
    A BJJ player and notorious pimp, Da Big Deezy, in the Crenshaw district tried to "raise up" and "slap a ho" ..... I impaled him with my retractible naginata. I wish there were more groundfighters in the world. They make my arsenal that much more deadly. - john takeshi

LIKE FROG IN WELL LOOKING UP AT SKY,THINKING SEE ALL WORLD. - truthman

watched the flute form video. who carries 2 flutes? not that i play much flute, but if i did i'd mostly likely just carry one.

Xingyi has a short stick

The Xingyi short stick is akin to a police baton, and is often taught in the Chinese military/police circles.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

We are taught a single short-stick form in our curriculim. It's a short form, but nice in terms of footwork.

I also learned a double short-stick form from another guy who claimed it was chinese in origin, so I suppose they are out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen
    We are taught a single short-stick form in our curriculim. It's a short form, but nice in terms of footwork.

I also learned a double short-stick form from another guy who claimed it was chinese in origin, so I suppose they are out there.
    can you describe the single short stick form to me?

I'd love to see some video of a short stick form, besides the 18 Daoist palms guy. I'm not too impresed with him, and most of what i have seen of that guy is some sort of kempo looking thing.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Our lineage of NCK has two shorter sticks. One is the short stick, called the 'dog hitting stick'. It is roughly the length from the tips of the fingers to the shoulder, a little shorter. A lot of the techniques are similar to the broadsword. The other is the 'beggar's cane' which is probably about 4' long and used like a staff but also including some short stick type techniques.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Dude
    can you describe the single short stick form to me?
    Hmmm. That's a bit difficult as I don't have "lyrics" for the form per se. Form starts with the stick in right hand with one end on the ground. Steps out, left leg, left hand covers and palm strikes. Right leg steps up to join left and the stick jabs out to the center of their body mass. Left hand clears to your left, left knee comes up to check and you step out to a bow stance to the left and strike with the stick. right knee comes up to check, and you clear the outside then inside of the body with the stick and step out to a right bow stance and strike down with the stick. You then turn and so a series of spins and steps wich repeats itself a few times in the form. That's the first part of the form. You will often times step behind and turn to gain momentum for a strike with the stick.

Is that clear as mud?

Oh, our short stick is typically as long as the distance from your wrist to the ground.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by neit
    watched the flute form video. who carries 2 flutes? not that i play much flute, but if i did i'd mostly likely just carry one.
    I actually have 2 flutes in my bag right now...

I bought one, then found a nicer one & bought it. Just haven't taken one out yet, so in theory... I can manage a two flute set right if I did butterfly swords or daggers or some such as that.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Mi Sidai plays flute, and he carries a bag with about ten in it.
    I think Mizhong Lohan has double short stick, and I did once learn a Baji short stick.
    Also, why is single dagger so uncommon?
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash
    Also, why is single dagger so uncommon?
    I don't know. We have a couple of single dagger sets, but there not very complicated.

well i stand corrected. now i'd like to see all ten flutes in motion. that would quite the form.

Can we say "Jugler Fu?"
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a