Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ? Chinese short staff

Don't, he really does juggle as well
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Lol!!

------------------------------------------------->
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I havent't really read the rest of the posts, so forgive me if I am repating someone!

Yes there is a shoulder to finger tip length stick. We have a short stick form in mizong chuan (called Duan Kun).

The shorts stick use has some similarities with broadsword, dagger and staff as you would expect, and has far more footwork than philipino styles, though the strikes, while generally being more powerfully, are slowler.

www.zhenwei.org
    I think, therefore I am awake!

It's easier to learn to do it now and maintain it in old age than to try and learn it in old age.

The world is my oyster.....Unfortunately I'm vegtarian.

sorry for jumping in so late, but my sifu taught the short staff as one of the first 3 weapons in his northern shaolin longfist cirriculum.

it was an interesting form.. very extreme low and high movements.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    RD, I learned 3 single short stick sets and 3 double short stick sets from my teacher in Boone. They were present in his system prior to his training with Kash.

Not sure of thier origin. We also had the modern arnis and they were distinctly different in how they looked. They were played with short sticks that were supposed to be about 2" longer than fingers to elbow so when in a reverse grip you had a couple inches in front and a couple inches in back for forward and backward poking.

The single sets were also a bit different in feel than the double sets.

both of them had movements similar to broadsword sets.

once I tried to do the second double stick set with some butterfly knives...ended up in the emergency room with some stitches in my knuckle...that was the first time I've ever seen any part of my skeleton....
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Oso
    once I tried to do the second double stick set with some butterfly knives...ended up in the emergency room with some stitches in my knuckle...that was the first time I've ever seen any part of my skeleton....
    The first time? How many "times" are there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    lol, so far, just the once.

it was kinda cool, there was almost no blood and I could pull the skin apart over my knuckle and see the joint and a little bit of the finger bone.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I did that to my elbow once!
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Cool

In Italy, Master Chang Dsu Yao from Taiwan teach a combat with Bang (Pang).
    Youcan see Bang in "Ancient Chineses Weapons" of Yang Jwing-ming.
    Do You know more about this kind of weapons. There are video or books ?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon
    I'm not really concerned with movies and such, I'm more interested in short sicks from legit lineages.
    My Canadian school did a bit of short stick training. We used escrima stick style weapons along with the slightly longer ones these guys are mentioning. The longer ones were normally used to practice sword work against a resisting opponent. You can't accidentally chop off fingers with a stick.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

i ran across a 'flute form' with some history last week. it seems at one point in history kung fu masters carried a flute to indicate thier degree of accomplishment.
    this flute form i think is a shaolin heritage. it is either at cmaod.com or earthworks.com.

Xi style has some very short whips and something more like a baton. and a form for each. i also recently discovered a couple of nice paired short spear demos and paired whip demos that aren't exclusely broadsword or spear derivatives.

tiger tail whip also occurs in the nan zhong tradition.
    Last edited by YuanZhideDiZhen; 10-02-2005 at 04:42 PM.

for those of you who are disc collectors there is a double double ended spear form that the weapons are about as long as a flute. it is on the shaolin kung fu appreciating two disc set. the one that covers "the hammering" period of shaolin: disc 2 39:15-39:52.

also, inthat same package there's a form at Disc 1 20:45-23:00 that seems to be called Hong Dong Yang Quan. is my lexicon off? what do y'all translate it as?
    Last edited by YuanZhideDiZhen; 10-02-2005 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YuanZhideDiZhen
    that seems to be called Hong Dong Yang Quan. is my lexicon off? what do y'all translate it as?
    You should ask your teacher.

Oh, that's right, video tapes and DVDs can't answer back.

Never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon
    I'd love to see some video of a short stick form, besides the 18 Daoist palms guy. I'm not too impresed with him, and most of what i have seen of that guy is some sort of kempo looking thing.
    That's kinda the impression that I got. I'd say there was only 1 part in there that really looked "kung fu" - it appeared he dropped down and then lunged forward (best way I can explain it). Otherwise, if he was wearing plain clothes or a gi, I'd think it was a karateka.. I don't mean to diss the guy, but that's how it looks to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ou Ji
    You should ask your teacher.

Oh, that's right, video tapes and DVDs can't answer back.

Never mind.
    neither can you with your mindless babble. wedgie, there are some fairly well edjucated people in here. you can learn a lot from a disc. oh, that's right: you're a broke a55 prison guard looking for free techniques so you can rape the queens in medical.

hey, i would ask my sifu and sigung but my teachers aren't literate in mandarin. the one's who are don't do english and are not web savvy. plus there's the difficulty of possibly having old characters for the names and not modern characters. so, if i didn't reference where exactly i saw the character so that others could see it too there'd be no way to get an answer. so go drop thirty quid on a chinese-engrish lexicon and fifteen quid for a disc. don't do it for me: do it because you want to see how people translate basically non translateable ideas into terms they can understand. out of curiosity, what level of edjucation do you have and what do you do for a living?

btw, i translate the name of the form as "Hong's Evil D!ck form". that's why i was asking...it kinda reminded me of the clf "dirty d1ck sucking daughter" which has a more formal name, too.
    Last edited by YuanZhideDiZhen; 10-03-2005 at 10:49 AM.