Thread: If Henri Cartier-Bresson & Arthur 'Weegee' Fellig got in a fistfight, who would win?

If Henri Cartier-Bresson & Arthur 'Weegee' Fellig got in a fistfight, who would win?

This is a very important issue. Please discuss it with all due seriousness and respect.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Obvious

Which ever one was the superior on the day.
    Last edited by Repulsive Monkey; 08-28-2005 at 08:07 AM.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

Never heard of either of them.
    Google says they're both photographers.
    Are you sure you are in the right forums?

Cartier-Bresson, hands down.

OK, so he was born to a bourgeouis (sp?) French family, which doesn't give him the best fighting credentials but he did have four or five siblings, so there must have been some rough and tumble. He also escaped POW camps after two attempts, and worked for the Resistance, so he must have had some balls, even if he didn't see much action (I think we can discount his National Service as he was mostly shirking!).

As for Fellig, hadn't got a clue who the **** he was till I read Wiki, and that says he was a bit portly, and he seemed like a bit of a ghoul and a geek. I reckon Henri could have ripped him a new one.

What about that yank geezer who took all the pioneered shots of bullets going through apples and freeze-frame ballet dancers and stuff? Reckon he was a bit tasty with his paws.

Wow, this hasn't been deleted yet?

Mat - if you're into photography you should def check out Weegee. His candid streets of NYC pictures are freaking fantastic. You may recognize a few of them, anyway. Some of them have reached rather iconic status (the gunshot victim face down on the street with the revolver next to him, the dwarf drinking a beer and dressed in nothing but a diaper and sash at a New Years Eve party, etc.)
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

When it comes to candid shots of new york, dwarves and strippers, Diane Arbus is the true master.

Bananas!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Weegee Dwarf vs. Arbus Dwarf

YOU MAKE THE CALL!
    Crippled Avenger

The Weegee Dwarf would take him, I reckon. The Arbus Dwarf just looks too sweet and posey. The Weegee Dwarf's got a bit of a mean streak to him I think.

As for photography, to quote the Meteors... "Don't know about art but I know what I like..." and that's not necessarily a trip down to the swamp on a Saturday night...

I like photography, but I don't know who's who and what's what. Some photographers have impressed me no end, but I don't remember their names. Whiskey and punches to the head for you.

I like the Arbus Dwarf although, wegee does have merit of course.

Too bad she suicided in the end, ah well, teh delicate mind of the visual artist and all that I suppose.

The irreverence will never stop, thanks.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Edgerton, that was it, Harold...

He'd take them all, but it might take him a while to set it up...

I must admit, I prefer the candid snaps and some architectural/textural stuff, but Edgerton was pretty mind-blowing at times. As was Mach, the guy who took the first photo of a bullet and its shockwaves in 1880-something!

Kevin Carter by flying armbar in the first 20 secs IMO.
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan