Thread: Talking Behind Your Back!

Talking Behind Your Back!

I was approached yesterday by a student of one of the kung fu clubs in San Francisco Chinatown about the reason why I have chosen to formulate the "Tung Mo" methods of boxing, his name is not important but he stated to me that there was discontent between me and my HS CLF sifu. As I stated my position he went on to state things to me that very negative things about my me and my kung fu learning and believe you me I've heard these things before. I have chosen to put this out to the general public and afterward I will cease from visiting these forums in the future.

Some of the things stated to me were:

A. I haven't been a consistant student of Hung Sing
    B. My Eight Immortals Style is a fluke
    C. My association with Chiu Chi Ling
    D. I don't support HS CLF and there ideals

among others but I will deals with these for now stating my position.

Yes, it's true I haven't been a consistant student of the SF HS CLF school, in the sense that I haven't been there continuously. I have learned the core teachings of this school and frankly I am satisfied. Prior to joining this school I already had a strong background in kung fu and quite frankly didn't feel the need to keep learning repetitive skills, for example, I knew weapons from the other styles and would only learn a different variation of the same movement. Prior to my training in choy lee fut I was experienced in B. Sil Lum, Hung Gar and Wing Chun, to some of my classmates they may not have known this but to Sifu Dino I showed him when I first started with him some of the things I learned, also during those times I was learning other things (Y.C. Chiang and Cheuk Fung), so quite naturally I couldn't be everywhere all the time. Let It be known that yes I also was studying the Chan Family branch under Choy Siu Ming student of Chan Leung, learning skills from the other side of the street for my own gratification, this was due to the fact that oneday Doc Fai Wong did a article in inside kung fu magazine years ago about "Buddha Palm", the article stated that he was the only one teaching it in the area, I stated to my sifu how could he make such a claim when he was teaching choy lee fut too, (in my ignorance), Sifu Dino then went on to explain to me the history of San Francisco Hung Sing and the changes Lau Bun made, at this time I felft compelled to seek the original methods, shortly thereafter I would meet Doc Fai Wong, and years later I would learn from Choy Siu Ming.

My Eight Immortals Style is very real, and because one doesn't know that it exist doesn't make it false. There are many people that I have met through association of Chiu Chi Ling that have told me they knew my Sigung in China, and no I don't feel its necessary to have to prove things to anyone, the proof is in the skills and if it's appliable, and yes I do hold all family records and manuals and am in the process of having this work translated.

My association with Chiu Chi Ling is purely that of friendship, yes the man has fine tuned me on some of my hung gar skills, but no I am not learning from him. It is from from Chiu Chi Ling that I've been able to advance my name in the kung fu world, it is from him that many people called me staing they saw me on Hong Kong Television, this would not have happened if not for him, he is responsible for me meeting many of the old school teachers etc. I value our friendship very much and wishes it to continue for years to come.

To that of me not supporting Hung Sing Choy Lee Fut ideals, I say i'm past this now, there was a time that I was hot for Hung Sing, but now I don't see a Hung Sing, Chan Family, Buk Sing etc, it's all choy lee fut, only branches cause division and with divisions there can never be unity. I am my own man, therefore I must make decision that feel right to me, there are some instances with me that doesn't feel right concerning Futsan CLF, but that's just me regardless of my sifu and classmatesthink or feel, I don't see things just because others see it that way, for example Doc Fai Wong, ever since I met the man he's been totally nice to me, never had a bad thing to say about my Sifu or SiGung, this is talking to the man face to face, he's always treated me with respect and so the views that I previously had of him without getting to know him had to subside after I got to know him, because he wasn't the person I conjured up to be, likewise his son and I have developed a friendship.

No, Tung Mo hasn't derived because of some discontent between me and Sifu Dino, Tung Mo is me, how I see, how I am able to work it out. Through the years I often mixed styles in fighting, I have just formalized what I've been doing all along. First and foremost my loyalty has been to my first Sifu Yuan Chan, this is the one who started me on my path of self expression through chinese martial arts. My mind set isn't of early centuries, I tell my students our obligation is on a month to month basis, you pay your dues this month i'm obligated to teach you this month when the month is over our obligations to each other is finished unless we start it over again. I know things are said about me and frankly it doesn't bother me, kung fu is a hobby, it's nice that someone feels I have some knowledge that they would like to learn. In this world there are talkers and doers, the talkers get no where and the doers are able to reach great heights.
    May The Spirit Of Chinese Kung Fu Be With You!

Blog Entries
    Troy,

I will be the first to say that my sifu loves you. As the school manager i should know if there is a rift between troy and my sifu.

According to how my sifu feels is whatever troy does with his martial arts is all up to him. to this day, my sifu continues to call upon troy for his help.

Troy, i know i haven't spoken badly about you ever, so i am curious to whom you are referring to when you say talking behind your back.

speaking in sifu's honor, he is totally happy with you.

You can trust that it wasn't me and i'm sorry people have resorted to that.

but if someone said that i had anything to do with it pls pm me and tell me what was said. if not me, don't sweat it. but i don't like people spreading rumors around like that.

could it be someone just starting trouble?

frank

RE: Talking Behind Your Back

In continuation from the previous post, it was also stated to me that how could someone learn the various styles that I have picked up over the years, and that I really did not know that much because I was making it up and learning from videos and what not. Well, if I was making it up with the exception of Tung Mo, then you really shouldn't be surprised because actually someone has made up everything that is being taught to this day, so what's the problem I couldn't have enough sense or intelligence to create something applicable? And as far as Tung Mo is concern there is nothing made up don't give me so much credit, what I did was simply link movements from style to style that for me was more effective.

Wow, I never knew I had so much impact on anyone, this is truly a surprise to me,
    any and all that knows me know that i'm not the boastful type, I don't talk about kung fu unless asked about it. Yes, there are only 5 systems that I have truly mastered the teachers curriculm in my lifetime which are: Northern Shaolin, Tung Gar (not to be confused with Tung Mo, Tung Mo was the chinese name given to me "Choy Tung Mo" and is which where I am known in the chinese community), Hung Gar, Wing Chun and the Lau Family Eight Immortals System. Through the years I have learned some Eagle's Claw, Choy Lee Fut, My Jong, Ba Ji, 7 Star Mantis, Chinese Wrestling and Northern Hung Style. You see the way I see things is you don't have to learn a whole system to be proficient in its techniques, yet if one embarks on a teaching career then one may want to exhaust the complete curriculum of what ever it is they are learning. All that knows me know I never considered myself this or that regardless of me being the heir to Lau Yee Chan and the Bot Sin kuen, but what one has heard is that i'm a kung fu man in general, meaning I don't place one style over the other because I see something beneficial in everything I've learned. To the claim that I was making it up, I say don't give me too much credit I like kung fu but am not a genius, but then again there are players around who can tell if i'm real or not, if what I learned is authentic in the sense that it transcribes to what is normally taught and known. Before my friend Willian Siu closed down his White Crane Supplies Store, there were many days that I visited him, we talked always about martial arts and white crane style, i'm not a idiot and so it wouldn't be hard for me to understand his discourse on Crane Boxing without ever physically learning the movement, you see, learn the philosophy, and concept of the technique and half the battle is won. People are so limited in their mentality, and I believe thats why Chinese Martial Arts will never share the glory that it once did in the 60's and 70's unless the real players make a stand against the foolishness. If any man have a problem with me, tell me to my face, I'm like Tupac Shakur, i'm not hard to find at all! If you question my ability and skills i'll glady present my learning to you. In closing I say, there is much going on in the world for one to be wasting their time and energy on me, because frankly I could care less, I will not lose no sleep, I won't bite my nail, I will not look over my shoulders, and I truly hope someone is getting some gratification out there somewhere.
    Last edited by Troy Dunwood; 08-26-2005 at 11:29 AM.

Blog Entries
    sifu says you need to contact him to clarify things troy.

before you go any further.

frank

Re:

Hey Frank,

I was never told who made such statements but i'll say this, it was told to me from someone associated with a club in proximity to Gee Tuck, I know you know what I mean. Is there a reason why anything should be clarified? It really doesn't matter to me what was said, i'm passed it now, I just needed to let off a little steam on my end, and let folks hear from me my story so that it would be beyond speculation and hearsay. If they knew I was transferring jobs to Sony Motion Pictures as martial arts trainer I guess they would be talking about that too. In any case I just needed to put out my position and my story. Don't fret about me you have your hands full helping Sifu promote and take care of the studio, I wish you all the best and hope you'll bring Hung Sing another 70 years of glory.

Troy

Blog Entries
    IF YOU HAVE MY NUMBER CALL ME, IF NOT EMAIL ME AT SIFUFRANK@GMAIL.COM

Because you hadn't responded to my post i thought and am alway thinking people will say things just to start trouble. the same things that you heard were some of the same things we've heard. and we don't need anyone saying we had anything to do with that negativity.

Because as i've stated, just from me to you (now to EVERYBODY) sifu loves you as his student and as a friend.

Maybe it was just to clear our name troy. to be honest.

frank

People always talk. Let them talk. Most of them suck at Kung Fu anyway. Let it roll off of your back, or challenge them, albeit, it is very difficult to do that sort of thing without the police getting involved.
    Punching is loving.

That's all wrong

Hi Troy,

I'm with G0pher, ignore the haters. It means you are doing something right for people to take notice.

It's also great to see Frank set the record straight and support you.

For the record I've known Sifu Dunwood for a while now and have visited him and his students a few times. He has skills and high integrity.

Stay strong! I know you will just wanted to give my public support.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hasayfu
    Hi Troy,

I'm with G0pher, ignore the haters. It means you are doing something right for people to take notice..
    That's so true. I mean look at Bruce Lee. According to the story he was hated by the Chinese martial arts community for teaching kung fu to Westerners. And yet, how many people know the name Bruce Lee and how many know the name of those other masters? Well, obviously I don't....

Point is...stay focused on what you want to do in life and surround yourself with supporters and ignore/avoid the naysayers.

Peace.
    Last edited by Fu-Pow; 08-31-2005 at 03:17 PM.