Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sweet for SA, but it ain't CMA

Quote Originally Posted by chud
    I'm more into traditional kung fu, so as a San Antonian this isn't any place I'd be particularly interested in training, but it's always good to see more schools opening up.

Out of curiousity, why not? I am more into sport fighting, but if the thai boxing and judo schools closed and all that was left was a xingyi school, but the teacher was d@mn good, you can bet that I would go there.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    Out of curiousity, why not? I am more into sport fighting, but if the thai boxing and judo schools closed and all that was left was a xingyi school, but the teacher was d@mn good, you can bet that I would go there.
    Personal preference. I am just more interested in traditional martial arts, and also since I am getting older I find that the traditional arts are something you can practice into your later years whereas sport fighting is something designed for young bodies!

people say that, but I don't necessarily agree. One of my judo coaches is pushing 80 - and he didn't begin training until he was 30. I know another guy who fought a full contact match for his 50th birthday...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

people say that, but I don't necessarily agree. One of my judo coaches is pushing 80 - and he didn't begin training until he was 30. I know another guy who fought a full contact match for his 50th birthday...
    At the same time, I'm a walking infirmary ward right now. I have at least 1 injury all the time that requires tape, ibuprofen, cortizon, chiropractic care, or any combination thereof.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

yeah, no doubt it's hard on the body, but I'm willing to bet if you were sparring at the same intensity in your longfist class, you would be just as banged up.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

yeah, no doubt it's hard on the body, but I'm willing to bet if you were sparring at the same intensity in your longfist class, you would be just as banged up.
    We did spar with the same intensity. I have no qualms about the way I was taught to fight.

However, we did not train with the same intensity. And there's the big rub. Everything in MMA is balls-to-the-wall, which is great because the other, younger, guys motivate me to push myself harder. At the same time, since the intensity level is higher, there is more risk of injury. We're all hurt in one way or another...wrists, hamstrings, groins, whatever. But like my football coach used to ask: Are you hurt or are you injured? The difference of course being that you can still play hurt; in fact, we were expected to.

In kung fu, being the senior student, if I didn't feel like going hard, I just took the night off. I guess I took off a few too many.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 10-07-2005 at 12:07 PM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I think that kung fu school on Blanco moved to Austin depending on how far back you’re talking. My parents went there back in the 80's.

this is their current location http://eastwindtraininghall.com/index.html

Anyway I plan on moving to Austin myself when I get back to the state, because of San Antonio’s sever lack of CMA's.

I did here of some bagua in a park some where though.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Thread from the dead...

The bagua in the park...I checked it out a few times, but it's no more.

I've pretty much lost interest in martial arts. I have renewed my love for drag racing though. Thanks for tainting my beliefs golden mountain.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

odd, this is a Kung fu forum.

One day many years from now, I will open a CMA school in SA. Till then, live somewhere else.

Or train what's available till something better comes along. If it was me, i'd just move.
    - 三和拳

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan
    odd, this is a Kung fu forum.

One day many years from now, I will open a CMA school in SA. Till then, live somewhere else.

Or train what's available till something better comes along. If it was me, i'd just move.
    And I love kung fu. If you open a school...lemme know. Since I moved here almost 12 years ago, there has been little to no CMA, and nothing's changed.

I can't just move, since my family is here. The day when martial arts is more important than my daughter, is a day I don't want to see.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

Many, many years from now
    - 三和拳

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Many, many years from now
    Thanks for gettin my hopes up.

ewallace: you could always do what I do and drive an hour and a half to Woodcreek to train with Sifu Gary Stier (Taijiquan, Baguazhang, and Xingyi). It's quite a way to go, but it's a pretty drive and the kung fu is worth it IMHO.

Good luck.

isn't that like an hour drive?
    - 三和拳

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

isn't that like an hour drive?
    Yes, as I mentioned before it is a 1-1/2 hour drive from San Antonio, but I make the drive anyway because I believe that it's worth it.
    Btw SanHeChuan, I notice you are in NC. Sifu Stier's top student, Sifu Jordan P Whitfield, is in NC also (Charlotte, I believe).

Peace.