Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sweet for SA, but it ain't CMA

Sweet for SA, but it ain't CMA

A lady friend of mine called me up tonight and told me she had joined a cardio kickboxing class. So I asked her where it was held, and she said some karate school. I asked what style it was, and she was like..."I don't know...jiu jitsu maybe?". I asked her if it was Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu and she said "yeah, I think so". So instantly I went down to check it out.

Sure enough it was a multi-purpose facility, which offers kickboxing/ strength training, and Israeli Self-Defense. I talked with the owner, it's not Krav Maga, and I can't remember off the top of my head the style, and I don't feel like looking it up right now.

Anyways, they do offer BJJ classes, which are taught by a pretty well respected Brown Belt, who I've been trying to find since the place he used to teach at he wasn't teaching at anymore...plus he was a purple belt at the time.

This is all very cool about the BJJ, as it's traditional (as in just BJJ), and the guy told me that since they were doing all gi, alot of people were going elsewhere, so they are going to incorporate non-gi classes.

As those of us around here know, there isn't much in the way of just one style, except the most popular (ie: Tae Kwan Do, Hapkido...etc).

But to make this even sweeter....and SevenStar will definitely appreciate this one...a boxing gym is going up right nextdoor, being opened up, owned and ran by none other than Jesse James Leija. So excellent BJJ, and a boxing gym run by a world reknown fighter, side by side.

There is a dance studio on the other side of the parking lot too. They are pretty much building a fighting and fitness complex/strip mall.

For those locals, it is across from Blossom Athletic Complex at Jones Maltsberger and Nacoma.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

Why oh WHY can't I ever discover I live by one of these sweet ass places!?

Quote Originally Posted by HearWa
    I didn't discover, I waited about a decade.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

ewallace--can you give me more details? PM me if you want but I might be interested in checking it out.

And Jones-Maltsberger + Nakoma--is that by the airport?
    Last edited by Reggie1; 08-26-2005 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HearWa
    I'm more into traditional kung fu, so as a San Antonian this isn't any place I'd be particularly interested in training, but it's always good to see more schools opening up.

Quote Originally Posted by ewallace
    I didn't discover, I waited about a decade.
    I'm afraid I'd have to wait more than a dedade to get one of those places around this area.

I have to move to get near some martial arts schools I'm interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie1
    ewallace--can you give me more details? PM me if you want but I might be interested in checking it out.

And Jones-Maltsberger + Nakoma--is that by the airport?
    Yeah it is right by the airport.

I don't have many more details. The BJJ is expensive...$99 a month, but the instructor is top notch from what I hear. His name is Karun Fiederer.

Quote Originally Posted by chud
    I'm more into traditional kung fu, so as a San Antonian this isn't any place I'd be particularly interested in training, but it's always good to see more schools opening up.
    There is very little here in the way of TCMA, outside of Wing Tsun. Some JMA and plenty of KMA. There are some good Kenpo instructors here though, if that's you're thing.

There is very little here in the way of TCMA, outside of Wing Tsun. Some JMA and plenty of KMA. There are some good Kenpo instructors here though, if that's you're thing.
    True. All there is as far as kung fu in this town is Wing Tsun and Shaolin-Do (both good schools, but I'd expect more in a city this size). There also used to be a Shaolin KungFu/TaiChi school many years ago on Blanco inside the loop near Hildebrand, but it disappeared a long time ago.

True. All there is as far as kung fu in this town is Wing Tsun and Shaolin-Do (both good schools, but I'd expect more in a city this size). There also used to be a Shaolin KungFu/TaiChi school many years ago on Blanco inside the loop near Hildebrand, but it disappeared a long time ago.

As a few here on this board know where I trained longfist, I would be hard-pressed to find a TCMA school as good as the one I attended. I was too young and dumb to realize at the time. Of course the only thing that has changed is age.

But when you have been spoiled as I have, and start getting picky, you might start getting lazy too, as has been my experience. I have yet to find another school that can compare with my former, and those who know which one I am talking about feel free to pass on to Brian as a compliment, even though I was only there for a year and I doubt he would even remember me.

But it seems in SA, it's as hard to find a boxing gym as it is a good TCMA school, and to have a very reputable BJJ instructor, right nextdoor to a legendary boxer, is at a minimum a blessing for martial arts/self-defense for this city. We'll see what unfolds as it all opens up.

As a few here on this board know where I trained longfist, I would be hard-pressed to find a TCMA school as good as the one I attended. I was too young and dumb to realize at the time. Of course the only thing that has changed is age.

But when you have been spoiled as I have, and start getting picky, you might start getting lazy too, as has been my experience. I have yet to find another school that can compare with my former, and those who know which one I am talking about feel free to pass on to Brian as a compliment, even though I was only there for a year and I doubt he would even remember me.
    Was the longfist school you speak of in San Antonio?

Was the longfist school you speak of in San Antonio?
    No. Unfortunately it was in Naperville, Illinois.

However San Antonio is actually a good place to live if you want to learn Taijiquan. There is a very traditional school that teaches Yang Style and one that teaches Chen Style. I have heard good things about both instructors.

Yeah, I've met Horacio. Good guy. I checked out a couple classes back in the late 90's. Wasn't my cup of tea. I've spoken with Sal by phone as well.

nice - when are you gonna start training there? WD would like it also.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter