Thread: RIP Grandmaster Jhoon Rhee

RIP Jhoon Rhee

I just heard from two reliable sources that the Father of American TKD passed away. Can anyone validate? I searched the news but maybe it's too early. Usually I don't post these unless I have a valid obituary, but today I don't have that luxury, so I hope someone else here can confirm. If this is fake news, I'll recant.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I still haven't found an 'officlal' obituary...

...but I just saw Masters Dennis Brown and Diana Lee Inosanto post this on their facebook feeds, and they would know. So I'm copying this off the TKD thread into its own indie thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

For the record

I never had the honor of meeting GM Jhoon Rhee. Condolences to anyone connected to him, which I'm sure is a lot of people. He was a true pioneer of martial arts in America.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sad News,

Condolences to his family and to all who benefitted from his teachings.

mickey

RIP. Such a long and distinguished career.

Years ago, I had a friend who lives on the east coast who knew Jhoon Rhee's daughter.

https://wtop.com/arlington/2018/04/j...ies-at-age-86/

An official obit

Martial Arts Master Jhoon Rhee, Who Taught Bruce Lee To Kick And Gave Muhammad Ali A New Punch, Is Dead
    Dave McKenna
    5/01/18 11:24am

Jhoon Rhee during his daily morning workout in 2002, at age 70.
    Photo: Marvin Joseph (The Washington Post/Getty Images)

Nobody will bother Jhoon Rhee again. If anybody ever did, that is.

Rhee, a leading proponent of martial arts in the U.S. from the 1970s on, has died. The longtime resident of the Washington, D.C. area was 86 years old.

Rhee, a Korean immigrant, taught self-defense to America’s power people, with a client list that included presidents (Lyndon Johnson and George H.W. Bush), speakers of the house (Newt Gingrich and near-miss Bob Livingston), movie icons (Bruce Lee, who Rhee said did not know how to throw a kick before their sessions together) and even a world heavyweight champion: He trained with Muhammad Ali at the fighter’s Deer Park, Pa., camp beginning in 1975, before his bout with Joe Frazier, dubbed the Thrilla in Manila. Ali said Rhee re-worked his jab into a combination of boxing and karate techniques, and dubbed the fusion the “Accu-Punch.” Ali claimed he used his new weapon to incapacitate Richard Dunn, the last knockout victim of his career.

But Rhee was most famous for the television and radio commercials for his chain of self-defense schools, which he produced beginning in 1970. The first TV spots featured his two young children: a son, Chun, then only 3 years old, and 2-year-old daughter, Meme. The spokeskids uttered a catch-phrase their dad came up with, “Nobody bother me!” accompanied by a jingle, written and recorded by budding local artist (and future Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen guitarist) Nils Lofgren. Anybody who spent any time in the D.C. area from the 1970s on knew and likely sang along to the tune. Just try to get it out of your head:
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Continued from previous post

Rhee’s taekwondo schools thrived, in no small part because of the martial-arts boom sparked by Kung Fu, a television series starring David Carradine that aired on the ABC network from 1972 to 1975. And Rhee’s ads and theme song had incredible legs, even getting a nod from The Americans, a period-piece show where writers work overtime to get everything right about D.C. in the 1980s.

Rhee told me in 2000, at the age of 68, that to stay in top shape he did 1,000 pushups a day and would hold one leg over his head whenever he watched television. His goal, he said then, was to “live to be 136.”

Alas, he didn’t make his target age. But to generations of D.C. residents, Rhee seems utterly immortal.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
    Dave McKenna
    Staff Writer
    It's always nice to see an obituary for a martial arts master published outside martial arts publications.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

RIP Jhoon Rhee. Met him around 40 years ago in Germany. What an impressive person he was.