Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Conditioning theory?

[QUOTE=Ray Pina]
    Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster
    What really irks me is the lack of contextual distinction. He has spoken before, for instance, about "Yeah, that old judo guy might be tough, but what happens when he takes off the gi and people start punching?" That's not the point of what I am driving at at all. If we go that route I could say "yeah, well, what happens when we put gis on the tough old judoka and your master, and elminate striking." /QUOTE]

This says a lot. To me, it makes all the difference in the world. I'm not interested in sport, in rolling around. I am interested in hitting you, and so is the guy in the real world, away from the ring, the mat, the dojo.

I want reality.

As for "Could have." Dude, I've been in this game since I was 4 years old. I have -- actually had -- more trophys and medals than I knew what to do with, so I recently through them all out.

I'm past that stage. Actually, I'm the one that doesn't have to stand on a pedastal and hold my hand up and show my shiny medal. I'd rather queitly meet with like minded martial artists and fight, with our fists, feet, elbows, etc., until one man is beat, not by points. My last two fights were ended by broken rib and broken forehead.

i know you dont want metals or trophies, but by posting here and writting about your conquests, you are feeding the biggest metal of all your ego. i read your post a few times and you always tend to mention how you have beaten this style, that style and etc etc. and you say youre not doing it for glory but to test your skills, which is good, but you are feeding your ego and are quick to call out people when they challenge your beliefs, i think that is due to your ego, you dont want to be wrong even though some people have a good argument. if youre happy doing what youre doing is cool. but expect to get taunted it happens to everyone

please dont challenge me hehehehehe
    Last edited by Face2Fist; 08-31-2005 at 01:15 PM.
    If a pipe hits you and no one is around, would you make a sound?

The insinuation from Ray, of course, is that I'm not past "that stage."

Since we seem to be in the business of comparing ****, I don't have any of my medals or trophies either. Neener, neener, neener.

If you think people who are serious about sportive arts fight for the medal, you've again managed to miss the point. The medal is nothing but a symbol of how hard you've worked. That's it. It's a physical reminder of the culmination of hard training. They are also useful to prove to people that you did what you say you did. Yes, you can forge a medal, but that's a lot of effort - lots more than telling stories for example. Videos are useful for the same purpose.

They are useful in that sense, but the acquisition of the shiny little medal isn't the motivational factor, nor having your hand raised on the podium. All of those are merely symbols reflecting the work that led up to the accomplishments of one day. Medals, podiums, tournaments - you miss the point entirely if you think of them as places to collect plastic and base metal. They are public forums with a public record with lots of witnesses that make it hard to falsify results.

The Chinese have that too, as Sifu Ross has noted - a person who is an indoor student or a lineage holder has documentation to that effect. The person doesn't train because of those documents. They are formalized symbols, representing the culmination of dedicated work and effort, while hopefully reducing falsity. Yes, I'm saying the BJJ Mundial gold and those documents are equivalent. Both put the world on notice that you have "arrived" at the top levels of what you do. Both are testaments to training and working your ass off.

Plus, it's fun. In one day, I can compete with 8 or 9 different people some with different styles, certainly with different games than I am usually used to. Judoka, Sambists, Wrestlers, BJJers, aikido guys (we've had a couple wander through), all feel different on the mat. Through those competitions, I identify strengths and weaknesses to further my growth in my chosen activity. Sure, it's within my context, but what you do is within yours - or do you have people jump out at you with baseball bats?

On that note as far as reality goes - if you want reality, gathering with like minded martial artists doesn't qualify. Every time we train, compete, challenge somebody, whatever, you're engaging in combat with some sort of rule set - even if the only rule is squaring off, rather than getting jumped by some guy or 5 or 6 of his buddies. It's a simulation of reality.

This says a lot. To me, it makes all the difference in the world. I'm not interested in sport, in rolling around. I am interested in hitting you, and so is the guy in the real world, away from the ring, the mat, the dojo.
    Which, AGAIN, does not in any way change the necessity of the principles I outlined in order to be the best you can. Just because the context changes does not make the judoka any less skilled or tough, and it doesn't negate his need to train that trinity. It makes his chosen activity different from yours. If you choose not to respect it, or think "less" of it than what you have decided to do, that is YOUR problem, not theirs or mine. Hell, I admire the world's best pointfighters. They worked their **** asses off to get there.

FWIW, I wouldn't classify Judo as "rolling around on the mat." Judo is more like an injury waiting to happen.

I don't have anything against you. I think you might have potential to be very good or great, especially with your dedication and drive. But I also think you've got an ego problem that will prevent you from achieving it. Sorry for being honest.
    Last edited by Merryprankster; 09-01-2005 at 06:00 AM.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Talking

me 2pence worth

traditional weight training methods for CMA / MA.......soso..........but decreases flexibility in time no matter how much you stretch

training with lreletively light weight for 1000's of reps (eg - weapons forms training etc)....far better.

but hey what do i know

I think, therefore I am awake!

It's easier to learn to do it now and maintain it in old age than to try and learn it in old age.

The world is my oyster.....Unfortunately I'm vegtarian.

Quote Originally Posted by stimulant
    but hey what do i know

Not much about exercise science, it would appear.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

though it is my job...........

and studies have shown that people can get equal gains in strengths via small load repetitions (plus the endurance gains) as those who use more traditional strength training ways such as the overload principle, and using a training weight that is 85% of your one rep max etc.

In the self same studies they used twins, one on high rep very low weight and one on high weight low reps, and they both gained very comparable gains in strength over a 3 month period.

I found this very interesting, but would have thought the overload method would bring about gains quicker than low weight high rep training.

It's easier to learn to do it now and maintain it in old age than to try and learn it in old age.

and studies have shown that people can get equal gains in strengths via small load repetitions (plus the endurance gains) as those who use more traditional strength training ways such as the overload principle, and using a training weight that is 85% of your one rep max etc.

In the self same studies they used twins, one on high rep very low weight and one on high weight low reps, and they both gained very comparable gains in strength over a 3 month period.

I found this very interesting, but would have thought the overload method would bring about gains quicker than low weight high rep training.
    Sounds like an interesting study - love to see a reference, the lab associated with it, etc.

Oh, just because something's your job doesn't mean your going to be very good at it.

If one continues on the same plan for too long, benefits will slow and reverse. Of course, you knew that.

I'm guessing you work at a Bally's. Maybe.

Oh, while I'm ****ing on people . . .

Ray, you're ego suxors. Lose it, lose the weed, lose the constant Taco Bell dinings (or eat less and eat it healthier, it's not hard to get decent-tasting food there with a minimum of really crappy calories) and see improvements.

Disagreements on the above points = incorrectness.

I am the Vash. The correct is my *****.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

I assume a lot of us are familiar with the book "Stretching Scientifically: A Guide to Flexibility Training" by Thomas Kurz

In his book he also uses high repetitions for strength gains (although he does advocate increasing the weight to), up to 100 reps.

As for the study, I previously mentioned I read it in either mens Health, Ultra fit, or runners world (not sure if you have these publicaitons in usa) about a couple of years back or something, wish I could refernece them properly.

I'm ok at my job, what and where is "Bally's"?

Source please?
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    even twins don't have exact genetic makeup=hardly a scientific study, such as the standard double blind with a control group using multiple subjects rather than simply two-even if they are twins.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina
    The reason I consider it a somewhat of an arrogant style is because many of its practioners that I know readily leave their head unguarded to capture a leg. When pointing this out to them, they say they can either afford a hit -- or two -- on the way in or that they are so skillful they won't get hit at all.

Oh yea?
    On that same note, I know PLENTY of traditional strikers who leave their head unguarded while striking. Even when you correct their guard, they still let their hands drop as they are punching. This will result in them getting KTFO. Coincidentally, they use the exact same excuse about not getting hit at all.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina
    Sorry, I just don't view it as being defensive. We both obviously take our training seriously. Time and time again I have my training method poked fun at, I say I am willing to demonstrate it's effectiveness, and then I am labeled a hot head.

We are not old men contemplating the Tao too much just yet. We are young combatants. A theoretical disagreement is supposed to lead to combat. it's no big deal and not personal. It's stylelitical.

It's because of the WAY that you do things, bud. How many times have I disagreed with MK in various posts? How many times have we ended up challenging eachother? None. Because we don't have to. In the end, that wouldn't solve anything - I will keep training my way and he his. See, the thing is, you don't have to prove anything to us... most people here don't care enough to be entertained by it. We compete to test OURSELVES, not to prove our ability to anyone. MP has his goal set on the pan ams. I've got mine on the nationals and also doing some boxing. we each have goals the set to conquer ourselves. That's what a competitor does. Besides, that's where the real competition is.

I can get some guys from local school together, and we can have our own local tourney, but of those guys, how many of them are training to compete? it's a good bet that most of them aren't. Consequently, I'm not gonna get my best competition there. I will meet my best opponents by seeking guys training for the same thing I am - that's where the ring comes in. If you want to test yourself against competitors, go for it - you know LKFMDC has tourneys in your area. And considering the history you two have, I'm more than willing to bet he will set something up with pretty much any rules that you will agree to.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

alright, enough of this. Can I get some manlove too?

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter