Thread: stand on one foot tips

stand on one foot tips

I rolled my ankle two weeks ago and have been recouperating it since. The physical therapist at Kaiser gave me some exercises to build strength in the area while the torn mussles are healing like standing on one foot and lifting up onto my toes, and balancing on one foot. Doing it once on both sides.

Anyways, I have had problems balancing on one foot, and would teeter from side to side slightly. Untill I go too far either way and have to catch my footing. I finally noticed that it was because I dont relax the foot I am standing on, so my foot was moving around causing my whole body to become unstable.

So if anyone has difficulty standing on one foot, concentrate on relaxing your stationary foot you are standing on so it moves as little as possible. Being barefoot helped me, because I was able to feel what my stationary foot was doing.
    Are you a warrior? Killer? Slicin --it like a samurah

I learned a balance drill recently where you stand on one foot, slowly look over your shoulder right and left. Then you repeat with eyes closed. Very difficult.

Please look at this article called "All Your Legs Will EVER Need: 3D Balance" by Coach Scott Sonnon http://www.circularstrengthmag.com/19/sonnon3.html. If you enjoyed this and it has worked for you, then please consider other programs such as Warrior Wellness.

Yours in CST,
    Bao
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

a mate of mine broke three ankles believe it or not and was told by the physio to stand on one leg with eyes closed to strengthen the ankle too. it's pretty good, i'll try the looking over the shoulder thing too.

wow. I thought I just had to work on one legged balance. Trying it with my eyes closed seems imposible. I shake around like the guy in there's something about mary. If I am to rehab my ankles I want to build up the sensors in my mussle. It sounds like the right way to fix the problem. I'll ask my physical thereapists just to see what she knows about it, or if she ever sugests it to other paitents(or will maybe) I have my kung fu cut out for me=)
    Last edited by sk8fool; 08-27-2005 at 08:35 PM.
    Are you a warrior? Killer? Slicin --it like a samurah

cj - your input is greatly appreciated. You are the new Ford Perfect of the S & C forum. Just the facts

I suppose you might have a book in the works?

Just wanted to add that bagua walk pretty much contains almost all the recommendations listed above. I have never found anything else that aided my agility and balance so much over even the first year. Look into it.
    -Golden Arms-