Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buddhists and chanting

You're a new ager aren't you Bob.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    david, the Old Testament has God as Plural because the concept of God is that which is made up of a balance of opposite energies, as in everything in nature, both male and female. Life is formed by the coming together of both forces throughout nature. We have that spark within us as well, and therefore we have the potential to become either. The original "Holy Trinity" is the Father, Mother, and Child. Makes sense, don't it? It is the New Testament that has re-written, filtered and altaered the scriptures in accordance with their own personal power struggle.They even wrote out the role of the female in creation. In God's name, and in the birth of Christ-immaculate conception! One of the names of God in the new Testament in Genisis combines four letters and each letter has a meaning and a value. The letters stand for a male, female, union, and life-the name of God is the act of creation itself. Do a search on the Council at Nice (sp?) perhaps it should be the New Testamant that should be cut free. There is a reason Jews don't follow the new testament. There is a reason Kung-Fu guys don't practice Shaolin Kempo.
    The part in the Ten Commandments about remembering the sabbath day and to keep it holy is not at all about having people come in to temple and contribute-maybe that's the way Christians observe it, but there is a much deeper meaning to this.
    To remember the sabbath day is to take time out of your week, pu aside your work, toil, job,all the bull**** and focus inwardly. Reunite with your god, family, and self. The sabbath dinner table is one place that the family can finally get together, and spend real quality time. "Quality time" is not a new concept. Even then, they were aware that "Life gets in the way", we get caught up in all our daily bulls**, the petty stuff, egos, whatever. Take a breather and focus on what is really important in life. Your self, your family, your inner peace. When was the last time your family sat at the table all together, and actually discussed things that go on in their day, in their lives? Too often, we don't even eat together. You grab dinner at work, on the run, kids are eating and running out with their friends, or back to the x-box. A simple thing like the sabbath day and its meal has greater significance than you realise. Remember it and keep it holy.
    Wiccans also say, "All the gods are one" they also realise that it does not matter what shape or form you worship God in. I really don't think God cares either.
    Man by nature, gravitates towards spirituality. no matter what culture you look at, you will find spirituality, and you will find them all saying basically the same thing. Love your fellow man, do no harm, cultivate the spirit.
    Robert Fulghum also mentioned, hold each other's hand, say please and thank you, and share. I think time out to share a cookie is also important.
    Last edited by TenTigers; 08-28-2005 at 11:34 AM.

Talking Hi TenTigers

Good stuff, but then shouldn't it be all men except trolls are gravitated toward spirituality? Is Internat Trollism a form of spirituality as well? Just pulling your legs but something to ponder on too.

BTW, guys, if we keep this discussion up, we might set a record in agreeing with each other on record time. lol...

Warm regards

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Greetings..

You're a new ager aren't you Bob.
    David Jamieson: that might be a "leading question" in a court room setting.. i'm not sure what that is, exactly.. could you define "new ager"?

If a "new ager" is one that can see past the dogma and ritual to discern some basic elements of existence, i am hoping to fit into that aspect.. if a "new ager" is willing to think for themselves rather than buy into the status quo, i might accept that definition.. but, if it's the "woo woo" types, nope, i'm pretty well grounded.. i try to find value in every experience and perspective, if i do i add it to my own value system and prosper from open-mindedness..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Bob-

it was an offhand remark.

I really don't care about anyone elses belief system. People can and do believe what they like whether it's true or not. Truth has little to do with religious belief.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

im somewhat of an atheist and still my thoughts on religion are subconsciously colored by christianity. i think that goes for everyone whos had a certain religious belief forced upon them.

but if your trying to move away from that i dont see why you should feel uncomfortable. just know that buddhism is a non-theistic religion, and i agree that researching and reading as much as you can is a majorly good idea. getting it straight from the source is always the best bet. then no one can lead you wrong cuz you know what you know.

too often people readily jump for someone elses interpretation when its right there in black and white. people look at me stupid when i say jesus said some of the same things as buddha. you can find some of the same themes in every religion. do unto other as you would have them do unto you. sound familiar? thats reaping what you sow, better known as the law of karma.

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

"Truth has little to do with religious belief."
    hmmm, wouldn't that be the other way around?

Post Christian

In the bible it says to meditate on Gods word. I feel the main question here is what type of meditation?

Also in the ten commandments it says idol worship is wrong.

Exodus 20:1-26
    1 And God proceeded to speak all these words, saying:
    2 “I am Jehovah your God, who have brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slaves. 3 You must not have any other gods against my face.
    4 “You must not make for yourself a carved image or a form like anything that is in the heavens above or that is on the earth underneath or that is in the waters under the earth. 5 You must not bow down to them nor be induced to serve them, because I Jehovah your God am a God exacting exclusive devotion, bringing punishment for the error of fathers upon sons, upon the third generation and upon the fourth generation, in the case of those who hate me; 6 but exercising loving-kindness toward the thousandth generation in the case of those who love me and keep my commandments.

Yeah, there's a bunch of crazy stuff in the bible.

http://www.white-history.com/bible/bbc1.htm
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox
    Yeah, there's a bunch of crazy stuff in the bible.

http://www.white-history.com/bible/bbc1.htm
    yeah, like ALL of Leviticus! that's just whack! oh, and ezikiel was clearly into the shroom patch. the old testament has suffered a lot of interpretational abuse over time...actually, a lot of it has. god's a pretty bipolar disorder type though when you add it all up, as in, though shalt not kill, but go over there and kill these dudes, and so on. crazy is an understatement, but its no more whack than the merit system.

honestly, a lot of it is designed societal control. no belief = no powers that be and no reps of that power perceived or otherwise in which case, no control for one over another. but then, i think that's what most religion is in a nutshell. some good laws for governance of the self and a whole lot of nonsense that even the most foolish has difficulty abiding by.

but again, only my opinion, and whatever floats yer boat. just don't touch my stuff and expect some smackage if you become intrusive or overbearing. lol

well, i'm off to smite some dirty b@stards cause my god (cthulu) is into that sort of thing.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

“You must not make for yourself a carved image or a form like anything that is in the heavens above or that is on the earth underneath or that is in the waters under the earth. 5 You must not bow down to them nor be induced to serve them, because I Jehovah your God am a God exacting exclusive devotion, bringing punishment for the error of fathers upon sons, upon the third generation and upon the fourth generation, in the case of those who hate me; 6 but exercising loving-kindness toward the thousandth generation in the case of those who love me and keep my commandments"
    In this rendition, it is not as cut and dry, yet it is still pretty straightforward.
    All these describe outward appearances rather than inner core spiritual essence of the deity-it is like the finger pointing at the moon. Jehova is a mispronounciation of the four letter name of God-of which there is actually no pronounciation, simply different manifestations of being. Each arrangement of the tetragrammaton is a different manifestation of the deity. The punnishment for error is the failure to achieve spirituality and passing on this "fall from grace' to you subsquent generations. You do it to yourselves, without any action required from God.
    Loving kindness is enlightenment. The Hebrew concept-that enlightenment and union with the deity is possible, as opposed to the Christian idea that you need the church and priests for guidance-guidance yes, obedience no.
    It is saying nothing different than Buddhism or Taoism, or any other spiritual path, but due to the civilization, enviornment,language, etc the messege might seem different. The scriptures, after all were written by men. Influenced perhaps by the divine, but over time, and ego, selfishness, power tripping, etc, the messege was corrupted and lost.
    can't see the forest for the trees, I suppose.

Greetings..

It is saying nothing different than Buddhism or Taoism, or any other spiritual path
    Well.. i tend to disagree.. to select certain passages and equate those passages to other spiritual paths fails to see the biblical plan in its full measure.. The biblical "God" creates beings with a free will, then punishes them "for eternity" for using that free will except as approved by said "God".. then, said "God" sends his "Son" to redeem the beings (get out of jail free card).. here, is a major flaw, where other spiritual paths hold the beings accountable for their existence, the hebrews designed a system where you can screw-up and get forgiven.. nice plan! do what you want, just be sure to ask "God" to forgive you..

If you look at the cultural history of differing spiritual paths you can see the trends that set those paths in place.. Christianity seems to know its shortcomings and develops a ritual that makes it okay.. sure, alot of BS to erase the "sin", and a heap of guilt to to remind you of the infraction.. but, some burnt offerings, a confession, a short swim.. and, bingo, you're back in the "Kingdom"..

I see little in common with the Christian path and the Taoist path.. the Buddhist path is just too sad to get into.. it buys the guilt trip then recycles it until you get it right.. well meaning, i'm sure, but an unlikely situation and an unnecessary burden on an otherwise magnificent existence.. Taoists are basically Eastern Wiccans (or, considering chronology, Wiccans are Western Taoists).. cultural differences aside, similar perspectives on the mechanics of existence..

The Biblical "God" requires love and devotion for salvation from eternal suffering.. i say that Love bought with promises or coerced by fear is not true love.. it is conditional and is designed to manipulate otherwise reasonable beings into submission to an unreasonable philosophy..

It seems to me that common-sense selects the most reasonable path to preserve harmony among the human tribes.. there's just too little common-sense now days.. that common sense is inherent, spiritually.. we have to "choose" to act against it.. and the first deviation is when we decide we deserve more than someone else..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

The Hebrews don't worship Christ, (Messianic Jews, or Jews for Jesus don't count. They are simply a brainwashing cult) so the whole sending God's son to redem them is a misinterpetation by the Christians as to the messege Jesus was delivering. Hwas a "rabbi" teaching spirituality, never at any time preaching anything other than Judaism. Only after his demise did they concentrate on the finger and miss out on all that heavenly glory. Kind of like the guys who follow the shoe sect and the gourd sect.*Life of Brian. The word messiah-meshiach does not refer to a person, but a spiritual awakening of the people of the planet. For the most part,Jewish spirituality is conceptual, like Kung-Fu. Compare Taoism, Wiccan and Kabbalistic concepts. They all seem pretty much in aggreement. as far as Christianity? It's the Shaolin Kempo of spirituality-for those who cannot, and will not. Yep I'm a snob. I'm a Gung-Fu snob, and a spiritual snob. The difference is, spiritual snobs don't have the Holier than thou attitude.-unless they're Christians. Again, kinda like Shaolin Kempo.
    welcome to the land of the lost. thbbbbbbbbb!

Quote Originally Posted by PaiLumDreamer
    But I still wasnt sure of myself. I enjoyed the meditation...but because I was left in the dark about WHY we were doing it that certain way left me uneasy. Could anyone shed some light on this subject?
    Thanks for the help.
    This is all actually quite easy and EVERY major religion has made a mess of it:

You have Buddha Nature, God, Tao inside of you. You are it.

Every single thing in your life has been the result of your actions, thoughts and words. The reason this post is here is because you posted it. I responded and we have created this.

What started all of this? Anyone who tells you an absolute answer is lying to you. Know that you control your life..... through the ups and the downs. You'll experience both.

People will tell you a lot of things, what is possible and what is not possible. In the end, you have to decide how you want to live your life .... as someone actively participating and creating it, or as a bystandard watching it. Either way, you can't help effect your life by your thoughts, words and actions.

Post Why?

Why do you put all Christians in the same category? Many Christian’s beliefs differ dramatically.