Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hand conditioning

Hand conditioning

How do you condition your hands? sand bag -> hot water -> gravel bag -> tree trunk-> concrete / marble

mung bean bag for palm/back/knife/heel

heavy bag for 'other'
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I don't condition my hands anymore. I just do Qi Gong now.

When I did though, I used a canvas bag filled with Mung beans for the top and palm and knife edge of my hand as well as striking it wiht finger tips and knuckles.

I used a concrete cylinder to strike the bone Karate guys allways use to break things, and the other side of my hand.

I was useing sand buckets for a while, enough to see "Some" forward progress, but not enough to develop any special, or noticable skill.

I blew a hole in a cinder bock wall with a palm strike once though, so I know my methods work.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I use a bag of steel shot to train my iron palm.

I have other various sized bags to train my claws, by grabbing bags I toss up as well as play catch with a partner.

I also train my grip strength as your hands will love you for it.

I use COC(Captains of Crush) grippers as well as plate loading grip machine to blast my lower arms.

I still train my iron palm, though I seem to gravitate toward more qi gong like Royal Dragon, maybe thats a natural progression.

Dale
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

The gongs and jows used in this type of training have a definite effect.
    I have always used them in tandem with conditioning.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I have also found that wrist training for Chin Na is a great cool down after iron hand work. I used to do the solo exercises normally, but I'm sure the partner work would be even better.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I still train my iron palm, though I seem to gravitate toward more qi gong like Royal Dragon, maybe thats a natural progression.

Reply]
    Yes, I think that it is the progression. I have been toying with the idea that when you are young it's more important to do conditioning, basics and ALOT of partner work (resisting, and not). But at some point in time you begin to realise that continued fighting all the time no longer improves your fighting skills. You "Top Out" so to speak. For example, I don't recall hearing about Ken Shamrock, or Keith Hackney fighting anytime reacently. I know both coach though.

Once you get to that point, I think the forms, and Qi Gong's become much more important because they allow you to maintain your health and fitness levels while at the same time running through your curriculem, and thus keeping it fresh. This may not make you a better fighter, BUT, it does help alot with being a better teacher, as you allways have the entire curriculem at your finger tips because you have been reviewing it when you practice the form.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Years ago I started with a canvas bag full of rice. After a year or so of that, I switched to sand. After a couple of years of that, I switched to gravel, and after a solid two or three years of that, I started hitting bare concrete. I got some decent sized callouses on my knuckles from the concrete, which seem to help quite a bit with hitting hard surfaces with the knuckles. I understand that some people think it's unnecessary.

I just started training with a bag full of steel shot about a month ago, and I've watched my penetrating power improve from it. I suppose that I may have been unconciously pulling my punches on the concrete in order to avoid injury. It's also possible that I just wasn't used to having my punches go "into" something since the concrete either breaks, or just stops the punch altogether. I wasn't able to get very deep into the steel-shot bag at first, but it seems like I'll probably be hitting concrete again pretty soon, this time through the bag.

Of all the martial arts exercises I've done over the years, I feel like I've honestly learned the most about myself, and what daily hard training really means, through hand conditioning. Without a doubt, it's been the most rewarding part of my spiritual journey with the martial arts.

You are so hard core training your hands on concrete.

When I was a kid I hit the makaware

When I did S. Mantis I did iron palm with heavy sandbags at my sifu's place but I don't know what was in them but they were almost as hard as rock .... lots of jow.

Now I twist the entire arm, right up to the finger tips, making it sort of like a cable and put my intention where needed. I can strike the throat and soft cavities with my fingers no problem. Trying to develop it so I can strike the chest too, but wouldn't yet. I don't put too much time into this though. It's more of a side benefit of the twisting.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon
    I don't recall hearing about Ken Shamrock, or Keith Hackney fighting anytime reacently. I know both coach though.
    Shamrock actually fought in a UFC match not too long ago, he kinda got his ass kicked...
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Training on concrete isn't hardcore. It's relativly easy if you've taken the time to condition yourself with a few years of more basic surfaces, such as sand and gravel bags. Pan Ching Fu has says that his iron-plate training is pretty effortless, and it probably is... for him! You've just got to be consistent. The hardest part is starting the training. Once your conditioning improves, it's gets easier to keep it up.

where, oh where are....

mung beans found ? i have an iron palm training bag, but after looking around for "mung beans" and having numerous store clerks look at me like i had three heads, i gave up looking for them and filled it with black beans. i'm assuming this will have the same effect / serve the same purpose, unless, of course, there is something in mung beans which is absorbed by the palms through the striking. any info will be appreciated.

-christopher
    "It's better to be dead and cool....than alive and uncool." - Mickey Rourke in "Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man"

mung beans are small, about the size of a b b like used in a bb gun. thats reall the only difference. I am sure the size has some sort of different effect...
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

What about training on tree trunks like a big oak tree. My sifu told me he used to hit buffalos.