Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kicking methods of Wing Chun

Kicking methods of Wing Chun

Here is a clip:

front kick

Have fun.

liked it

The instructor seemed to be in a good mood.

His weight is going backwards .... even if that kick were to land, if the guy was coming in agressively, he'd put him right on his a$$.

I find this to be wing chun's greatest weakness -- they're always playing on their heals. There other kick, their stop kick, I also find kind of weak do to it's structure. It's not natural. You would never turn your leg like that to smash a pint of milk like you did when you were a kid. Or, you wouldn't jump off a 4-foot wall and land wioht your foot that way .... it just makes no sense. Even if the stop kick lands, if the guy just keeps putting force in his front it it up roots them.

So I guess you can say I don't like it.

Now we have Ray orating on wing chun. Too Easy to "see" flaws in videos.
    The person Don Mak is just demoing something--- dont know the context. His weight is not necessarily going backwards- may be may be not.
    He knows that his weight is not supposed to go backwards.
    joy chaudhuri

dude, turning the foot out gives you more surface area across meaning a better chance of landing that stop kick. And heavy squats are typically performed with your feet turned out. It requires flexibility though, flexibility that I personally no longer have since I stopped both MA training and stretching for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti
    The person Don Mak is just demoing something--- dont know the context. His weight is not necessarily going backwards- may be may be not.
    joy chaudhuri

Look, some one asked a question I'm just giving my opinion. Do I chime in on flan recipes? Do what you want. I studied Wing Chun for a few years, played with a ton of Wing Chun guys from Chinatown, noteably the folks at the Free Mason club, and that's my experience ..... also, my experience tells me his weight is going back in that particular video. I know I shouldn't bite my nails ..... I still do sometimes. It's just my opinion. You don't have to get nasty.

As for the WC stop kick, have a friend or classmate motion a front kick and place your stop kick somewhere between his shin and thigh... now you push down and have him push up. If you're relatively the same size you'll be uprooted and sent backwards. Again, this is just my experience. And I have used this stop kick with pretty good success, even fighting in San Da, until I've seen some of its weaknesses. I've also used Duct Tape to secure engine parts and what not.... when I got older I learned to fix the thing, replace it if necessary.

But boy is the blood getting bad around here. I'm just giving my opinion .... which was asked for. We were all asked. Why not tell me why it's good, instead of telling me why I have no business saying it's not. Share your practical experience with us. This creates dialogue, not tension which could cause people to hold their tongues.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti
    joy chaudhuri
    PS

HIS WEIGHT IS GOING BACKWARDS!!!!!

Look at were the sifu's head is in relation to the wooden dummy behind him before and during the kick. Before, his head blocks a portion of it. During the kick it is completely visible.

So maybe you need to remind him

"As for the WC stop kick, have a friend or classmate motion a front kick and place your stop kick somewhere between his shin and thigh... now you push down and have him push up. If you're relatively the same size you'll be uprooted and sent backwards."

Does this have something to do with turning the foot out, or what? Something weakened at the hip? Or is it a problem with any stop kick? Please elaborate.

As far as weight going backwards, lots of styles lean back when they kick, his structure looked good to me when I viewed the clip and it's not the end of the world in my experience to push yourself back due to landing a kick. In fact, it is worth it to land a kick and it looked like he was so close that was the only way to land it.

putting your hips into a front kick can often look like you're weight's going backwards; but it's also a good way to put the hurt on yhour opponent while not leaving your head in range.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Hey,

Nice clip SPJ.

Wing Chun has many weaknesses and strengths just like any other martial arts out there. It is up to the individual to 'observe', 'dissect', and 're-tool' those weaknesses in order to make the art work. And on strengths well...keep on working hard to refine them to new levels if possible. *shrugs*

Just a thought.
    It is amazing for me to understand that "unexplainable" no longer has to mean "nonexistent". pp172
    Grave's End: A True Ghost Story by Elaine Mercado, R.N.

Ray Pina

Sure SPJ asked for opinions on the clip... and you are entitled to relating your perception and judgement. I dont have to quote from your posts. Where I find you showing your ignorance is your orating in wing chun in general.

My comments on the video? None. I dont know the context of that demo- what principle is being illustrated? Many possibilities. Also there are many kicks in wing chun besides what you call the other stop kick- regarding which you also proceed to orate.

WC seems to work the best when you start out with your arm crossed with your opponent's.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina
    His weight is going backwards ...even if that kick were to land, if the guy was coming in agressively, he'd put him right on his a$$.
    You can't see that. It looks to me like at first his weight is slightly forwards, then he straightens up, but you can't see without seeing his legs. Besides, he is also stepping slightly backwards which may add to the illusion.

BTW, kyokushin kick at the same angle and they've got one of the strongest front kicks in the business, and I've never seen one going down from a front kick from someone coming in aggressively, without some kind of shoot involved.

Plus, it's extremely difficult to come in aggressively if somebody puts in a good front kick (stop kick or otherwise) to your solar plexus, stomach, chin etc. I've seen my shooto teacher who's no patsy, go down like a sack of potatoes while coming in aggressively and receiving a front kick to the chin. So it's a question of timing and since as always, this is just a demo, you can't say whether it would work or not.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist
    WC seems to work the best when you start out with your arm crossed with your opponent's.
    Completely baseless, quite funny and irrelevant!