Thread: Wrist Wraps and Hand Training

Wrist Wraps and Hand Training

Greetings,

Is there an advantage toward wearing wrist wraps and training Grip work or hand conditioning (Iron Palm)? Do they contribute to the strength development of the hands? Or are they just some psychological crutch?

I thank you for your responses in advance.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 08-28-2005 at 05:12 PM.

Well I for one have never used handwraps because I think that they are a weakinging factor in your training. I always hit a big hands naked. It stregthens the wrists and toughens the hand. Remember when you fight, you have to wraps to stabalize your wrists.
    Get ready for your wrists to 'buckle' at the beginning so take it easy at first.

Hope it helps!

My View

The wraps or whatever, especially when working a bag or a ring fight is purely preventive. It allows more power to be used while protecting your joints from strain and keeps your bones intact. You should be able to accomplish the same thing if you're careful. Not to mention it's better to train how you would actually fight. For iron palm, and anything else for that matter, always heed you're sifu's instructions.
    I'm new to iron palm but my training involves a canvas bag filled with mung beans and formula. No wraps. Hope that helps.

wraps are definitely preventative. The thing is, when you are a boxer or thai boxer, you are throwing literally hundreds of punches per day. This adds up quickly. Not only that, but since you are throwing so many, the chance of you delivering one of them improperly is greater. Consequently, it would serve you well to have your wrist and metacarpals intact.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your replies.

mickey