Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pullups

Hello everyone
    love pull ups have'nt done them in awhile.Just put my bar up between kitchen and hall.Try to do 3 ever time I pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Hai_To
    The world record for the mile is 3:43. 3:43 per mile for 6 miles equates to a time of 22:18. I think 6 miles in 20-21 minutes is an exaggeration. The world record for 10,000 meters (6.2 miles) is around 26 minutes.
    Ahh... Yeah, I guess you failed to understand the sarcasm in my post(hopefully identified by ,"Head to the AIS now!"
    perhaps send your post to Slade.
    A Problem is only a Problem if you think it is a Problem and every Problem has a solution

Don't worry about losing lass,I've been wrestling wolves since you were suckling on your mama's titt
    Groundskeeper Willy

Ka,

My post was not directed at you. It was simply a follow up to your post. I apologize for the confustion.
    Me fail English? That's unpossible!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by racerX
    Hello everyone
    love pull ups have'nt done them in awhile.Just put my bar up between kitchen and hall.Try to do 3 ever time I pass.
    Good way to grease the groove.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Smile

Starting to avoid going to the kitchen. Sore, going to start keeping track of passes.

When i was age 20 i got up to 40 pullups either way, palms facing and palms away. with my legs in a straight "L" postion toes about eye level. And 10 sets of wide grip pullups with 50# weight. 5 sets to back of neck and the 5 sets to the front of the neck. These were at a moderate pace, no kipping and full range. Actually it was my grip that was my limit not the pullup.

I got up to 3 one arm pullups with either arm from a dead hang, full range. 5' 91/2" 165#

At age 46 now, I can still do 25 pullups and about 5-7 with 40# weight at a weight of 195# I am thinking about dropping 20# though so i can get the reps up higher a bit more easily.
    Last edited by Scott R. Brown; 10-07-2005 at 08:46 AM.

Hi racerx,

Yes!! you need to take a day or so off inbetween your pullup days!

When i was in high school i did so many pullups on day i couldn't lift my arms for about three days and i couldn't straighten them out without pain too. I learned not to over it do cuz it actually made me sick!

Try taking it a bit slower.

Quote Originally Posted by wall
    Hi Chief ... honestly I think your progress is way too slow (2 reps gain in 6 weeks, starting at a 6 reps max) and IMO you should change program.

Try this for 4 weeks:

Monday: 5 sets of pullups - each set to failure and then 3-4 additional negative reps (jump up using your feet then go down as slowly as possible).

Thursday: same as monday.

The other days do anything else but nothing too strenuous involving lats and biceps, which will be recuperating.
    Usual healthy eating with plenty of proteins applies.
    Based on experience I say when you try your max in 4 weeks time it would have gone up to at least 10, maybe 12. In 6-8 months you should be around 18 reps, then it will gradually get slower (the gain) and depend more and more also on genetics, other training, nutrition, etc.

Happy training

Wall
    Wall, you're right, my progress is disturbingly slow but I've never been any good at pullups. The most pullups I've ever done in one set is 13 and I did that in 10th grade 21 years ago! I'll give your program a try for the next 4 weeks and see where I'm at. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by racerX
    Hello everyone
    I did the same thing you did and went from doing 2 pullups to 25 in a little over 2 months. I ruined the frame of my door though

Thumbs up

The bar I have is from champs.It moves easy from door to door.The weight is distibuted across the top of the door frame.It has a couple a ways to do the pull ups,cost about 25$.

Hey scott,Iam going slow today.About 10 passes today plus missed a few here and there.

Hi racerX,

The thing is to give yourself some rest days. If you do pullups or any exercise everyday all you are doing is tearing down the muscle tissue. The healing process is where the improved strength and/or endurance occurs. The exercise strains the muscle, the rest period allows it to heal. While your muscle heals it over compensates and this is how the improvement occurs. You really need one to two days rest inbetween workout days. The rough guide is if you are too stiff or sore you need another day of rest. If you feel you must do something after waiting a day or so, but you are still stiff or sore, then do half the reps for the day. If you are doing 6 sets of 6 reps, do 3-6 sets of 3 reps. This will stimulate the muscles without over stressing them too soon.

If you have a swimming pool handy some light swimming or paddling around will assist in the recovery time as well.

When I did my intense pullup routine in my twenties I started out doing pullups Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, but i discoverd that I actually improved quicker on the weeks I didn't train on Sunday.

Give it a thought and good luck!

Hi Chief, it's been almost a month since your last post on this, what's your max now?
    > it is your mind, that creates this world >

Thanks for checking in on me. I did 10 the other day.

Once again my workout has changed. I've been doing the Crossfit workout. Not sure if you're familiar with it but you do a lot of pullups. When you can't do pullups anymore, you do jumping negatives. So I've been doing this and my numbers have increased.

How many can you do now?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter