Thread: Books?

Post Books?

Does anyone know of any good books for someone new too Kung Fu?

Conan the Barbarian
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Kung Fu High School
    With a corrupt, ineffectual administration, Kung Fu High has become a prisonlike society ruled by gangs and neglected by the law. The novel's teenage warrior narrator, Jen B., tells the story of her cousin Jimmy Chang, a world champion martial artist and hero to his peers who vows to his mother that he'll never fight again after he's arrested for drubbing a band of thugs. But Jimmy faces a brutal initiation ritual when he transfers to Kung Fu High, a beating he takes without resistance until Jen's brother, Cue, attacks Jimmy's tormenters. Cue, in turn, is murdered, and Jen must negotiate complex school politics while fighting for survival and trying to avenge her brother's death. Jimmy, her only trusted ally, must break his pacifist vow or see his cousin destroyed. With clinical detachment, Gattis splashes graphic descriptions of violence and gore throughout the novel. The " 'gangbanger' Armageddon" final chapters of this story may feel predictable, but the martial arts mayhem is as detailed and balletic as a John Woo movie.

Or you could just use the search function.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

a couple...

Kwong Wing Lams 'Plum flower fist - North Shaolin #7' although it empahisizes this particular set is also a good introduction to kungfu book.

Leo Fongs 'Sil Lum Kung Fu' is also a good intro to the beginner of kungfu study/practice.

Also Richard Spangler and David CHow's 'Kungfu - History/philosophy and Technique' is a good intro to these arts.

These three have a good bit of foundational information in them that pretty much applies throughout the time you will spend studying and training in Chinese martial arts, at least, in my opinion. There is likely others out there that can give you a broader overview and some useful information as well.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Smile Thanks

Once again thanks for your advice David Jamieson..

David chow's book was one of the first books on kung fu i got. another one is lee koon hung's Dynamic art of fighting. it covers some choy lay fut techniques. Books aren't the best way to learn, escpecially for a beginner. They are good to find information on particular styles and to help you once you have sarted and have a foundation in a particular style. They may also help you chose which particular style you may be interested in. This said, when i first started i wsa buying all kinds of books also. Still do every now and then. any more question go ahead and post 'em good luck
    A BJJ player and notorious pimp, Da Big Deezy, in the Crenshaw district tried to "raise up" and "slap a ho" ..... I impaled him with my retractible naginata. I wish there were more groundfighters in the world. They make my arsenal that much more deadly. - john takeshi

LIKE FROG IN WELL LOOKING UP AT SKY,THINKING SEE ALL WORLD. - truthman

"The Complete Guide to Kung Fu Fighting Styles" by Jane Hallander

Great info about lots of different families of Kung-Fu. You won't be sorry. I've lent this book out many times!

Peace,
    Kenton Sefcik
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Chinese Boxing, Masters and Methods as well as Martial Musings

Both are by ... well, I forget his name. But the first one is a classic. Martial Musings is pretty much the same thing but better written and more detailed.

books

Kung Fu Elements by Liang Shouyu and Wen Ching Wu is great - a solid overview of the mainland Chian schools. Kung Fu: History Philosophy and Technique by Chow and Spangler is a classic. It's a little dated now, but it provides a fine snapshot of Hong Kong masters in the late 70's.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks Ray pina, GeneChing, qwa sow, couch, Chief Fox and PangQuan for your comments.

Really though, Conan is a great book.

In all seriousness though, here is a good book for anyone no matter what they do, though it revolves around martial arts.

A Tooth from the Tiger's Mouth : How to Treat Your Injuries with Powerful Healing Secrets of the Great Chinese Warrior

here is a link to it
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!