Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Mantis in Sport Fighting

You use Chi...
    Could you elaborate?
    I, Chang Tzu dreamed i was a butterfly. Now that I wake I do not know if I am a man who dreamed of a butterfly, or a butterfly dreaming I am a man.

Honestly not trying to provoke a conflict here but could you elaborate on how you can use your chi to easily disable five men. It is feasibly possible to disable five people. Being an expert mantis practitioner would better the probability of walking away from the situation. Explain though how chi would help. Also this subject is straying away from the original topic. Just to keep that in mind.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    ahhh....SPM... and only 2 years of training to boot. Not bashing SPM, I think it's a fine style.

dude, EVERYONE uses chi...if we didn't...we'd fall over dead, i think.

there have also been a multitude of discussions about chi use in fighting...go read some older threads and come back when you have something new to say about it.

I was present at a seminar once that had a long time kung fu guy teaching some techniqes...that were fine if you had honed your jing/silk reeling energy to an incredibly fine point AND had spent a great deal of time on iron palm training. At that seminar there was also a karate guy; 40+ years of training and quite a bit of experience in the military. He was there as a guest instructor. He was quiet during the seminar mostly and at the end made a statement to the effect of 'there are really only 3 ways to be sure of killing someone as quickly as possible with your bear hands and that is to crush the throat, break the neck or crush the skull (by throw)'
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Any idiot that thinks he can fight 5 men and win, has not been in a real fight, but also has delusions of grander!! The most respected fighters I know and have spoken to said if their is more than one guy your best technique is run-fu! Don't mean to deflate anyone's ballon, but get real.

Cheers
    Jake
    Last edited by Three Harmonies; 06-29-2006 at 06:03 PM.
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Indeed.

I've had 3 situations as a bouncer where I was outnumbered and when I realized I was, I got the fudge out of the way and let them beat the crap out of each other.

Only in one of them did I manage to get two dudes, who were already wrestling each other, so tangled up in each other that I was able to get both of their arms kinda locked together and then just kinda sat on them till more bouncers got on the scene. But, it took too long and I shoulda just clocked em both behind the ear and picked em up later.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I'm just saying that chi does make you more durable in ways and attacks have more force. I've watched my teacher using the mantis system and none of the guys have a chance because by the time the fight starts he's already taken down 2 or 3 guys. After mastering this, we shouldn't have to prove ourselves in an MMA bout. MMA fighters think mantis fighters don't fight in tournaments because traditional styles are useless. I know this isn't true and if you all train mantis, you do too.
    Last edited by Jared1211; 06-29-2006 at 09:32 PM.
    It's not what you do, it's how you do it.
    It's not what you train, it's how you train it.

Bro 98% of the MMA fighters would eat up the majority of Mantis / Choy Li Fut / Wing Chun etc. etc. players! I have seen very few CMA schools that train like a MMA would. It has nothing to do with style. Not to mention the ground game which has been done to death.
    I admire your vigor, but reality is reality. Their have been murmuring's over on EF about Ray Pina doing MMA to "prove" that CMA (in his case he does internal CMA) can hang at the UFC level. We shall see. I think his first fight is coming up.
    Cheers
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Ah ******, the 'proving' thing was supposed to be my job.
    I, Chang Tzu dreamed i was a butterfly. Now that I wake I do not know if I am a man who dreamed of a butterfly, or a butterfly dreaming I am a man.

Go for it bro. We can never have to many peeps representing CMA in the full contact arena! Train hard and go do it!
    Cheers
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

back to the question about point sparring

I had been discussing this yesterday with a man who takes shotokan. personally my preferred martial arts is taekwondo; however he brought up a good pont. we were asking why we dont see more judo in the ufc. (dont worry ill get back to the point sparring) Now I said it was probably for the fact that judo has its own olympic championships. He said it was probably because when judo became an olypic sport, they took out many of the devastating moves over the years. I also noticed its happening with taekwondo, i wouldnt be surprised if it happened to tkd in the next 30 years. during class we used to learn the traditional, but now to compete in the tournaments we learn more of the tournament style kicks. So i guess we'll see in a few years. its probably for the best that your praying mantis style doesnt change for the tournaments, so as your style stays pure.

GIMSONG & JARRED1211

Just to let you know 8 step mantis was used in the UFC 6& 7 and proven itself with 2 wins back to back.

My kung fu brother Joel and I trained for this event for a long time in NY and SF while he had the ambition to enter I did not, he won both bouts and was nick named the bloodiest UFC match in history. So check your facts before you say it doesnt work in the ring. you must first research things before you discredit them and make assumptions that are wrong.

PS you can see the news clippings on our website under articles
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by sall the same
    we were asking why we dont see more judo in the ufc. .
    There are a bunch of guys that study Judo in the UFC. Most all of those guys cross train.

didnt notice

Oh really? i never noticed any judo practitioners in the ufc. I do see many of the throughs, but we study many judo throws in hapkido as well. i just assumed they were the throws that branched into other martial arts. thnks i suppose ill pay more attention from now on.

Not trying to pass judgement or tell people what they think and believe here but i do believe that you are looking at it from the wrong perception. There is more ways to veiw the matter than black or white. Some people say CMA would be crushed, some say it would easily dominate the opponent. Is there really any right or wrong in the matter. Does it not depend on the fighter or is it all entirely on the methods he trains? Saying that a UFC fighter could easily beat a CMA practitioner is incomplete...and it never will be completed because the settings of the match. A CMA fighter would have less of a chance in the ring of a UFC bout, but has the CMA fighter trained to fight in rounds with a time limit? How exactly would a UFC fighter do in a spontanious situation compared to a CMA practitioner? Theres no right or wrong.

Thats a decent point. It *most* always comes down to the practicioner. Of course.. hypothetically speaking, sometimes the style does matter. If you teach a guy that the proper fighting stance is arms straight down in your pockets, and chin up in the air, it's a no brainer that somebody with a better style will beat him. Certain styles DO have more than other styles.

Gimsong, what you say only rings true because usually, two people of exact equal skill from different styles don't fight. So until we get two identical people with the same stats, then it will boil down to the practioner, not the style.