Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: back exercises for a pregnant mrs. buddha

back exercises for a pregnant mrs. buddha

ok buds, this one is a very personal thing. my wife is two months pregnant, and is in need of exercises to strengthen her lower back. deadlifts are out of the question, as any exercises with her bearing down like a deadlift risk miscarriage. supermen are another no-brainer on the no-no. i suggested stiff-legged deads, but those wind up hurting more than they're worth.

so what say you fine folks?
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

How about a plain old horse stance? Properly done, with the back straight and not leaning over, it DOES work the lower back. And she'll have nice legs from it too.

Mel

Maybe some good mornings with no weight, hands behind her head.

And congratulations by the way.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

So you've celebrated your love, huh?

Try these two:

Have your lady do pelvic thrusts: looks like a shoulder bridge or like she is the man getting it on with a female above her. She can do this move as a static pose in the flexed position. (I edited out the quick repitition method when I remembered the risk of miscarriage)

Another is to have her kneel on the floor sitting on her feet. She rises up to on to her knees while lifting the head up arching it back, trying to look behind her. Very good for the back. She can help with the arch by placing her hands on her hips in the flexed position.

While these two don't seem to offer the threat of trauma or miscarriage. check the two exercises with your doctor.

Re: Miscarriages-- Stay away from aloe vera juice. It has had the reputation of causing violent contractions of the uterus, resulting in miscarriage. If this has been in your lady's diet before, eliminate it. STAT!!

You may also want to check for yoga classes that cater to pregnant women.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 08-31-2005 at 06:59 PM.

consult with a professional, please. Mine's preggers too and having alot of problems with backpain due to alot of bedrest due to a condition with her cervix. All we can do with her is massages and tylenol, and a rare vicodin.

**** you work fast, rubby!

My wife did Tai Chi all the way up through 8.5 months.

thanks guys.

horse would be bad for the same reason as deads.

i've suggested the goodmornings as well as those back arches, and she's started.

fajers -- she's not having any more pain than she did before, she just wants to get a head start on minimizing pain. she also gets massages more often than most panzy football receivers.

mk -- two months, me boyo, we were married a whopping two months before conception. my friends thought all the mountain dew over the years would make me sterile. apparently it only killed off the weakest of the little swimmers while the strong lived another day.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

There are some books available about yoga for pregnant women. Do a seach at any bookstore site. and i also agree, consult a professional before anything.
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by Mel
    How about a plain old horse stance? Properly done, with the back straight and not leaning over, it DOES work the lower back.
    Uh... isn't the lower back elongated (not arched) and veritcal in a horse stance? That's not exactly contracting the muscles down there.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

I suppose....but do you HAVE to arch your back muscles to work them? I just restarted kung fu after about 20 years off, and I could feel the work in my lower back. You've probably been doing kung fu for a long time and have a very strong back which you take for granted. (Good for you, if that's the case!) But for someone who hasn't done it in a long time, or hasn't ever done it, I believe it can be strengthening--not only to the lower back, but to the entire pelvis. And she's going to need it.

Keep in mind that the other exercises (like pelvic thrusts, rising from a kneeling position, arching, etc.) won't last long. Once the baby becomes too heavy, she won't be able to lay on her back anymore (at all) for the thrusts because the weight of it will cut off her circulation and some of her breathing. Once she gets larger, rising from a kneeling position will become more and more difficult until it becomes impossible. Getting larger will make her more awkward, and because it happens quickly (as opposed to someone who gradually gains weight/fat), her balance will be thrown off. Once her balance is thrown off, she has to be careful what kind of moves she does so she doesn't fall or injure herself. Add to that the fact that pregnancy makes all of the joints much looser and the bones and teeth a little softer (to support the bulk--bend rather than break). Her teeth are already (or will soon) probably starting to bleed just from brushing them.

As for getting a headstart on minimizing pain, well, the only thing that really helps with that is morphine and an epidural.

First and foremost- congratulations!

A fewideas-

1). Light k-bell or d-bell swings. These hit the low back nice and hard, shouldn't require a massive increase in intra-abdominal pressure, and don't put a compressive load on the spine.

2). Farmer's walks- these seem to be a nice 'whole body' exercise, and seem to reinforce good posture as they do require dynamic core stabilzation.

3). Waiter's walks- as above, but moreso.

4). Pull-throughs- gluts, hams, low back

Best I could come up with. . .

Andrew

find a yoga for pregnant women course near you.

it will be great for her.

if this is not available, look up the asanas that are appropriate for this. You can likely find them on the internet.

for instance:

http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/pregnancy4/

and here are some illustrated asanas for pregnant women:
    http://altmedicine.about.com/gi/dyna...lly%2Fyoga.htm
    Kung Fu is good for you.

When my wife was pregnant, she took a water aerobics/moms in motion class at the Y. Not sure what they do to strengthen the lower back but she liked it.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

I would recommend yoga. But find a very good studio. Make sure to ask for prenatal classes or make sure she tells the instructor about being pregnant. The are certain things she will need to modify.

If she justs lays on her back and does hip lifts ( bend legs and drive feet into ground ) that would be a good start, and shouldn't impact her pregnancy.