Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Origins of Wing Chun

My mate Steve's flat. I sleep on a sleeping bag on the floor.

Origins of Wing Chun

My mate Andy told me about the origins of Wing Chun.

"Wing Chun comes from Judo. In 1894 Judo master Wang Chin invented Wing Chun from the throwing techniques in his style of Judo."

I think that explains why there are so many throwing techniques in Wing Chun, but I thought that it was not as old.

Any help?

"The true master fears only the spirit for among the dragons are only tigers. Fear leads to the enlightenment of the tiger."

That story is completely and utterly, false.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.... boy, now that's a really comical one. How true would this be??? mmmmmmm.... like saying Jennifer Aniston was really once a man but had a sex change and is now a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega_Fist

"Wing Chun comes from Judo. In 1894 Judo master Wang Chin invented Wing Chun from the throwing techniques in his style of Judo."

I think that explains why there are so many throwing techniques in Wing Chun, but I thought that it was not as old.
    "
    UHHH, dam*it Beavis! I was gonna say that! Anyways......HUHHH!!

that's the lamest thing I ever heard.WCK is much older then Judo.Judo came from ju jitsu from japan.WCK is Chinese art.Judo and wck have nothing in common.
    http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..

Hey there,

Either I'm drunk or I'm hearing crazy things....Wing Chun's origins lie in Judo!? Ummm....no....Fukien White Crane?...a high posibility...but not Judo...

As for Wing Chun being much older that Judo...well Judo is pretty old itself...it is said that Japanese wrestling began in around 720 AD and that what would eventually be known as Judo was started around the mid 1500's. But i might be totally wrong.
    It is amazing for me to understand that "unexplainable" no longer has to mean "nonexistent". pp172
    Grave's End: A True Ghost Story by Elaine Mercado, R.N.

Your mate Andy needs to go back on his medication.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by DRleungjan
    Hey there,

Either I'm drunk or I'm hearing crazy things....Wing Chun's origins lie in Judo!? Ummm....no....Fukien White Crane?...a high posibility...but not Judo...

As for Wing Chun being much older that Judo...well Judo is pretty old itself...it is said that Japanese wrestling began in around 720 AD and that what would eventually be known as Judo was started around the mid 1500's. But i might be totally wrong.

I think you're right. Andy told me that I think in 1500s Judo came to China and that's probably why Leung Ting and all the other chinese Wing Chun people learnt it.

I think it would be good to see a judo vs. wing chun match as they are so similar- does anyone have a clip?

"the serpant can climb a mountain tomorrow. the tiger can have the spirit of a leopard for eternity"

Methinks someone is pulling somebody's leg.

Regards,
    - kj
    "It's all related." - me

judo is about 100 years old obviously its roots in jiu jitsu go way back

actually when i got my first little insight (or think i did hahaha) of wing chun it made me think it was like judo in the arms.

its funny this post must be syncronicity as the other day i heard from my mate chas down the pub that wing chuns origins were from tae kwon do which has its roots going back thousands of years in korea and not from karate which didnt come from kung fu (there may have been some wing chun influence with the hand shapes in tae kwon do though).

perhaps actually then wing chun did come from judo which was jiu jitsu influenced by tae kwon do being as its a sport with belt colours for grades etc maybe andys right just a little off track. when wing chun actually was invented they added aikido in the mix for the realistic street drills and the pole and knife came from the aikido spear and wooden stick. So wing chun is the ultimate martial art after all now it may be proven mathematically.

i think youve got the right idea just a little off track you should definitely persue this as a line of research maybe put together a phd thesis or publish a book. you seem like a natural at history especially if you like martial arts.

Quote Originally Posted by stricker
    judo is about 100 years old obviously its roots in jiu jitsu go way back

actually when i got my first little insight (or think i did hahaha) of wing chun it made me think it was like judo in the arms.

perhaps actually then wing chun did come from judo which was jiu jitsu influenced .
    I'm glad someone agrees and understands properly, but you are wrong on the jiujitsu as that is a Japanese martial art and Wing Chun is Chinise.

For everyone else, if Wing Chun dind't come from the Judo then explain this-

Why they both not kick? Why they both use the hands most? Why they both most famous martial arts in the West?

Point proven I think.

actually i just looked it up we're both wrong jiu jitsu is brazillian but then influenced the japanese jiu jitsu guys or maybe it was judo i dont know. theres a lot of theories its hard to know which ones to believe.

still its hard to argue with your proof. the details may need some sorting but in the final analysis i think you (and your mate andy, credit where credit is due) are right.

Mmmm not really think anything has been provin here

The fact that Wing Chun and Judo uses more hands doesn't really prove anything, Chen Style taiji also uses more hands, and lots of throws and that has nothing to do with one or the other. (Wing Chun does kick though, low kicks to the knees and legs are very much used)

I personally don't think that Wing Chun comes from Judo, and I don't really believe it matters.

Interesting discussion though, but thats my oppinion.
    "If we dont worry then nothing shall worry us, only then shall we be of sound mind"

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    what is even more startling, is that I have seen both wing chun practitioners and judo practitioners, and they both have hands. and feet, two eyes, two ears,so there seems to be alot more truth in what this lad is saying. I think perhaps we look at all these traditional origins as sacred cows, never realizing that the truth is right there in front of us. Out of the mouts of babes.

Okay, I'm glad we've established that Wing Chun came from the Judo. My next question though is who would win in a modern fight- Judo or Wing Chun?

ps. for any of you who think Jiujitsu is related to WC perhaps you should do some more research

So, if you got a Judo grandmaster and fighting a Wing Chun grandmaster who would do the winning?

"five serpants, the path lies open"