Thread: Need some advice...

Need some advice...

I find it ridiculously hard to stick to various exercise regimes I create for myself, I don’t mean I am lazy, I am always doing exercise, just some times at the gym, sometimes at home, sometimes with weights sometimes just bodyweight, etc always chopping and changing, I am yet to find something that fits with my work (postgraduate research) and social life, so I am always trying out new ideas.

What I wanted to ask was, I went through a phase of trying to put on some weight, and I am now at a weight I feel happy and am comfortable with (bout 5’11/6ft and 12-12.4 stone). So I am not worried about “bulking up” what I am after is not loosing weight, but improving muscle tone and general strength.

I am starting to think about going for an a little and often attempt, rather than less frequent heavy workouts, as I find the latter really hard to keep consistent. At the base of my routine will be press ups, pull ups, and sit ups. Sometimes if I have time I might supplement this triad with dumbbells.

If I do this everyday, say in the morning for 20mins, and sleep well, keep up the calories and the odd the protein shake, do think this will help me achieve my goals? ( improving muscle tone and general strength)

After two or three years of trying to get big, I am now realizing that I want to devote more time to kung fu rather than lengthy workouts.

Any comments will be much appreciated,

W

Willliam,

Thank you sharing your concerns. I would recommend that you read this article written by Coach Sonnon:http://www.circularstrengthmag.com/f...pic.php?t=7533 which speaks about balance and what does Fit-Ness means according to CST.

I think you need to learn how to balance your training life and your social life. Remember train to live, not live to train. Maybe you need a paradigm shift now more than anything. I am more concern about your inner life and overall well being instead of giving you a way to make your life more complex. Is your studies at your uni causing you much stress?

So you want to improve muscle tone and general strength? Have you research Kettlebells www.dragondoor.com or Clubbells www.clubbell.tv training? These two systems may be of some interest to you? I think Kettlebells or clubbells can improve your muscle tone and general strength while helping you develop attritubes for future kung fu training.

To keep just keep up with your muscular tone and keep up your general strength you have to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Basically you have to manage your time and enrgy with having exercise programs based on functional strength , cardiovascular fitness, flexibility, daily recovery training, and at best having a well balanced diet. You should consider meditation or stress reducing activities such as yoga, chi kung; etc.

Many Blessings,
    Bao
    Last edited by FooFighter; 09-08-2005 at 01:25 PM.
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

hey, we're about the same size. You might be a bit taller and I'm a bit heavier but about the same. I tried many different types of workouts as well. then I would get bored and move on to something else.

With that in mind I have also gravitated to pullups, pushups and situps along with skipping rope and doing my forms. One thing I intend to add to this routine is squats and deadlifts.

Other things I'm thinking about adding maybe once a week.
    - the sand bag mile (fill some bags with sand. double bag them and put them in a larger canvas bag until it weighs 100lbs. Throw it up on your shoulders any way you can and see how long it takes you to walk a mile.)

- explosive hops (go to a football or soccer field, squat down at one end and explosively hop. Repeat this until you get to the other side.)

- sand bag thows - (take your sand bag from above, grab it and throw back over your shoulder. Repeat this all the way across the field)

CrossFit is also a great workout. Check it out: http://www.crossfit.com
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Chief,

How is your clubbell training going? Did you get clubbell yet? Crossfit is awesome.

Yours in CST,
    Bao

Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter
    Chief,

How is your clubbell training going? Did you get clubbell yet? Crossfit is awesome.

Yours in CST,
    Bao
    Hi Bao, clubbell training has been put on hold. Thanks for asking. I've got a stability issue with my shoulder. While I do think my little hommade clubbell initially helped, I got to a point where my shoulder just wasn't getting any better. I was also doing plenty of other things to hinder my progress like too much stretching and handstands. I've been going to physical therapy for the pat 6 weeks and my shoulder is much better now. I did get the circular strength DVD and liked what i saw so I just may get a real clubbell this fall. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for you when I resume clubbell training.

While we're at it. I've considered getting a kettlebell first. Any thoughts on that?

Also, what would you say are the simularities/differences in "Warrior Wellness" vs. Tai Chi Chuan/QiGong practice?

Thanks

Brian

Brian,

I am big fan of crossfit and Pavel's body of work/kettlebell training. I believe you can cycle these methods together with CST. There are many who married these things together. I understand that Kettlebells seem very attractive because you can get them cheaper than the clubbells. If you want to get them first because of that reason alone then go for it. Just make sure you combine your daily recovery work and joint mobility practices like Warrior Wellness. Kettlebells works from the ground up however CST work from the top down which in some cases work better for some folks. CST also has many interdisciplinary supplementary courses to enhance the overall CST experience unlike Pavel's body of work.

Warrior Wellness (WW) is unique and different than internal arts because it has no references to prana, ki, or metaphysical concepts. Instead of focusing on energy or flexibility, WW focus on joint mobility in three stages: recovery, coordination, and refinement. I can tell you most people do not have complete joint mobility and this very clear when I see many people try WW stage one for the first time. This is why I highly suggest this program to everyone, but it would help if you had someone coaching you personally. <wink>

For example, I currently have a practice member (client) who has a serious internal martial/health background. He was extermely impressed by Warrior Wellness and saw the difference between the two systems. In the beginning, he dismissed the idea of "joint mobility" exercises however do my suggestion he purchased the DVD. He originally wanted just CST coaching, but he then realized how Warrior Wellness blended so well with other CST/Rmax materials. He saw the light and it made sense. I turned him on to other Rmax subject courses such Performance breathing, bodyflow, softwork, etc. This man is a fast learner and started to make CST/Rmax is own by inventing new exercises based on what I have shown him and his previous experience. He trains with me 6 hours a week. He too have a background in serious Kettlebell background but perfers Clubbell training or the Circular model over the classical linear model.

Yours in CST,
    Bao
    Last edited by FooFighter; 09-08-2005 at 03:54 PM.

Sorry about the thread hijack William.

Bao, thanks for the info. It sounds like no matter what i do, you deffinately recommend Warrior Wellness. I'll check it out.

Thanks again.

Brian

William, I am sorry too, but I have to help out my friend. He is part of Rmax tribe and it my mission to help all my brothers and sisters in the tribe. Brian, if you have any questions about WW or KBs, please let me know how I can help you.

Yours in CST,
    Bao

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I really enjoy the Body For Life workout-upper body one day-40 minutes, lower the next-40 minutes,I'm done. I also run at the track-sprint the straights,jog the curves. I am wondering about Matt Furey's combat Conditioning stuff. Anyone have any experience with this?

Ten Tiger,

I am glad you enjoyed the bodybuilding Body for Life routine which in my opinion a good start in bodybuilding program. Coach Scrapper has a great bodyweight program which I highly recommend and you may check out at his website at www.trainforstrength.com for bodyweight exercises. I have own Combat Conditioning and sold it to FaJing here on the forum. I felt this book was overpriced for its information which you can get for free online and the production quality was low and not well produced professionally. In all honesty, I am not a fan of Matt Furey as a consumer and in my opinion I believe he cares more about making money than offering high quality products. Making money is a good thing when you are offering a quality service or product in return. But to get less than what you pay for is always sux. You do not have to take my word for it. Please do a search on him on the net and see what others have to say about him and his products.

Yours in Friendship,
    Bao
    Last edited by FooFighter; 09-10-2005 at 03:38 PM.