Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pre-1928 photos?

Pre-1928 photos?

http://x.russbo.com/photopost/showga...at/3004/page/1

Anybody know anything about him and these photos?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

That link didn't work for me...

But if you're interested in the 1928 Shaolin photos, your source shouldn't be Doc. It should be Uwe Schenk. He's posted a nice gallery of these photos online.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    But if you're interested in the 1928 Shaolin photos, your source shouldn't be Doc. It should be Uwe Schenk. He's posted a nice gallery of these photos online.
    Those are the same ones. Know anything about him and these photos?
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

those are some pretty cool photo's
    http://72arts.com/v-web/gallery/Shao..._vor_1928_0026
    but this one looks like "i'm gonna sneak up on you and kill you!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

He has some pretty neat manuscripts he put together in PDF format abotu Shaolin history and kung fu training. I think you can download them from doc's site.

Uwe Schwenk

According to Mr. Schwenk (and I've only corresponded with him via email so I don't really know him) he received the photos, some 300 total, in 1971. I've asked him if he would reveal the source, and he said he would talk to him about it, but never got back to me on it. I'm still dying to know, just for my own curiousity. He promised to preserve those photos, which is what he is doing. He had given them to aboutshaolin.com to publish on the net, but they modified them which Mr. Schwenk felt was inappropriate, so he tried to retract them. I'm not sure what's happened with their presence on that site, nor do I know the details about what kind of agreement Doc might have struck with Mr. Schwenk about using them. We had discussed reprinting them in our magazine, but now that Mr. Schwenk has done such a marvelous job on his own site, it seems a little redundant.

As I reported in our Shaolin Special 2005 on page 26 of my article, Shaolin Temple Reincarnated: New Highway, New Entrance, New Halls, New Loti, a collection of photos alledgedly from a Japanese photo study done in 1922 resurfaced recently. It is supposed to be the basis of the recent reconstruction of Shaolin Temple (as discussed in that article). Anyone who had been to Shaolin Temple prior to 2005 knows that the bulk of the side halls had been reconstructed from the period of the mid-eighties until the mid-nineties. These were demolished and new buildings have already been erected, based upon these photos.

Mr. Schwenk's collection certainly fits the description of these Japanese photos and it is a truly magnificent find. I thought we discussed them before here somewhere, but don't have the energy to go digging for that original post at this moment.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Zhong Lao Bell Tower supposedly held the magic ghost hunting bells of the demon slayer Zhong Jia. elsewhere at that temple the magic shackles also existed, supposedly, along with some of his relics.

but all this is folk lore from the area and dubious at best.

That one is kind of interesting.........

As is the translation
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

cool!

Nothing to add, besides, AWESOME!

Uwe trained with Shi Wan Heng.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Tiger
    That one is kind of interesting.........

As is the translation
    care to lay the translation on us non chinese readers/speakers?

i'll give you a piece of gum! (the chewing kind, not gold)
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    "Sin The' was here."

That's in the nunnery

It says that it's the main stone column in Chu Zu An, which is the nunnery, half way up the trail to Bodhidharma's cave. That's an ancient column, quite venerated because of it's age, but few tourists have actually seen it because it's off the beaten path. The nunnery isn't as open to the public as the main temple.

I like that gum that cleans you teeth.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

So that column still exists? Have you seen it Gene?

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson

i'll give you a piece of gum! (the chewing kind, not gold)
    I give up on this chinese language translation stuff....its more confusing than ...chinese arithmatic....

I asked a friend to translate the caption....I got "first/original.....grandparent/elder......nunnery/hall.....stone.....pillar"

Then I ask another one to translate it....I got " Chu Zu An (first 3 char. together)....hall (next 2)...stone pillar (last 2).

I go back and ask the first....their are like "oh, I thought you wanted a litteral translation of the characters.....doh!!!!!

Anyway, I did ask if the figure on the pillar resembles any ghost/demon/whatever and both said no. You have to admit it looks a lot like...a hairy guy.....

Any help on that Gene? You seemed to hope over that part above....
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......