Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tai Chi winner in MMA

Tai Chi winner in MMA

Someone told me that there was a mixed martial arts competition on TV featuring a bunch of kickboxers and a Tai Chi guy. The kickboxers were making fun of the Tai Chi guy and said that Tai Chi could not be effective. Then it turned out that the Tai Chi guy beat all of them. I don't have any more information on this and asked if my friend could track this down somehow. Perhaps someone on this forum would have some information on this? Hopefully I can track it down if no one else has heard of this. I gather this happened recently? The person who saw this said that the Tai Chi fighter did use the movements and methods from Tai Chi to win. I would find it interesting to watch anyway.

I don't know if this is the guy or not but I found these links:
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/for...threadid=27623
    http://www.samiberik.com/
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/for...c/27623-1.html

Ray
    Last edited by YongChun; 09-12-2005 at 03:06 PM.
    Victoria, British Columbia, Wing Chun

i saw a comment on something like that here a couple of months ago...before the server problems. it wasn't MMA but another event that made it to tape. the bouts were from somewhere oversees from North america. it was one of the moderators who commented on it. it was released as an advertisement durring MMa Events in a small (local) market in the early ninties. so that's probably how it got mixed in with the MMA stuff.
    Last edited by YuanZhideDiZhen; 09-12-2005 at 04:10 PM.

Greetings..

Chris Heintzman, student of David Chin, attributes much of his success to Taiji.. Winner in SanShou, LeiTai, Cage.. Chris is an outstanding full-contact fighter and a decent guy.. Master Chin produces consistently good fighters with a solid Taiji background.. it's not all "silk pajamas" and incense..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Quote Originally Posted by TaiChiBob
    it's not all "silk pajamas" and incense...
    No, that's just icing on the cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I know Sami quite well. Its great that hes in there mixing it.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

LOL, id never heard of Tai chi being in a MMA contest before and im delighted to see that its ripping up a storm. Maybe this guy can make those muay thai guys shut up a bit about how weak tai chi is.
    -Slade-

Our latest ezine offering

Who says Tai Chi doesn't work in the cage? Read Tai Chi and MMA: Empty Your Cup ... Adapt! by Nick Osipczak.

Nick is also offering two 5-Day Martial Arts Training workshops in Oxfordshire, England in late October. See our online calendar for more.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Hitting the Canvas With MMA Fighter Nick Osipczak

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest ezine offering

Keeping It Real by Nick Osipczak
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

Tai Chi LOSER in MMA.

WATCH: Fight between MMA 'madman' and Tai Chi 'master' lasts all of 10 seconds
    BY ALEX LINDER IN NEWS ON APR 28, 2017 7:00 PM

A (short) video has gone viral on Chinese social media today showing a "fight" between a mixed martial artist and a Tai Chi "master."
    On one side was Xu Xiaodong, a Beijing-based MMA fighter, coach and promoter, known by fans as a "madman" for his ruthless aggression. In the other corner was Wei Lei, the founder of the fledgling "Thunder style" of Tai Chi (雷公太极) in Chengdu. Make your bets now!

About 10 seconds after the fight started, it was over with Xu taking Wei to the ground and pummeling his face with punches in front of a large crowd in Chengdu.

Watch the video below:

Chinese netizens have mocked Wei for being nothing more than a "fraud" while also bemoaning how weak traditional Chinese martial arts are when faced with more modern styles of fighting.
    Though, in Wei's defense, he said in an interview before the match that his "Thunder style" was only a "primary student" in the long history of Chinese martial arts with still much to learn. He probably won't forget this lesson anytime soon.
    So much for 'Thunder style'
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Can't resist

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Tai Chi LOSER in MMA.

So much for 'Thunder style'
    The outcome was to be expected. It's clear the Taiji guy has little if any fighting (or free-fighting) experience at all, and he was facing a strong, aggressive guy with loads of experience.

Wasn't there already a 'Thunder style' related to Chen Taiji? Or did he just make up his own version?

It's very telling that Chinese 'netizens' are saying how weak TCMA are. Do people in other countries (Japan/Okinawa, S. Korea, Thailand, Philippines, etc.) say that about their own countries' MAs? Maybe. But you don't really hear about it much, if at all.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 04-29-2017 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SKM View Post
    My recollection is that this teacher had an article in IKF magazine in the late 80's when he was younger. All the 'Thunder Tai Chi does is use fists rather than utilize open hands for techniques like "Brush Knee and Strike". He also utilized a baton with a round ball at each end to do the empty hand form with a weapon to teach roundness and bridge depth. This is all based on Yang style.

During the 60's through 70's were two uniquely Tai Chi fighters on the circuit that I knew of. One was William C.C. Chen and the other was Peter Ralston. They were both championship fighters. Yang Ban-hou was the fighter of the Yang family compound. He fought challenges ever day. He would stop training and fight, maim or kill the opponent, then continue training. He never lost a fight. More info on this at yangchengfu.org
    I now recall that I first heard of 'Thunder style' in an early '90s issue of IKF. The article was by (or featuring) Adam Hsu.

Yes, there have been successful Taiji fighters. They were fighters who trained primarily with that in mind, at least initially. Those with a penchant to fight (or the potential to) are usually (though not always) born that way. Unlike the 'Thunder style' guy in the above video. It looks as if he was expecting the MMA guy to maybe 'play hands' with him. Completely different mindset from someone who has been hardened and tested against all types of fighters who are trying to take his head off. Any TMA, Chinese or otherwise, has to be adapted and tested into a competitive fighting environment. TCMA can be very effective, if trained specifically to fight. The point I was trying to make was NOT that TCMA, including Taiji, are weak (that's what Chinese netizens said); but that if someone is not experienced, and not properly trained to fight and with the mindset that goes with that, he is horribly mismatched against someone who is. Regardless of the styles involved.

In a similar vein, your typical executive or soccer mom who goes to train at a MMA gym strictly to have fun and keep fit will get smoked by someone who trains specifically to fight.

As for Peter Ralston, I would point out that he already had a very extensive Japanese MA background before he got into the Chinese systems. I remember reading about him in the late '70s, where he mentioned using Xingyi, Taiji and maybe Bagua, and maybe Northern Shaolin, as well. He also had extensive background in Muay Thai, boxing, and other arts. And I'm certain he knew what and how to incorporate skills to compete in a full-contact format. I think it would be unrealistic to believe that his extensive MA background outside of Taiji (and a fighter's mindset) had no bearing on his results.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 04-29-2017 at 12:49 PM.

parallel thread

Looks like this discussion has been taken up on the main forum - That MMA vs Taiji Fight Everyones Talking About. Let's take this over there and not sully Nick's thread here anymore.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Back to Nick's thread...

Who says 'Tai Chi can't fight?' Read Tai Chi’s Nick Osipczak Answers Xu Xiaodong’s Defeat of Wei Lei by Andrew Judge
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips